johnnym

42137, 42138 alternate models - KT Jikken and McKall Interceptor (Instructions available)

I just yesterday created this alternate model of the 42137 set and added some additional details today. Looking at the currently existing 42137 alternate models on Rebrickable I hope to add something different with this one.

I wasn't actually fond of the 42137 set. This mainly because of comparing the retail price (same as 42123) and the offered features didn't really leave me impressed. I bought it anyhow - when I got a 40 % discount - mainly because of the new panels, from which I already damaged one during testing. :sceptic:

This alternate model features basically the same ratchet mechanism as the original 42137, but as I needed the double bent red beam for the front, I had to implement the release of the ratchet mechanism differently using axles instead. The rear is mounted at a half-stud offset to the chassis, allowing for the fenders to get really close to the rear wheels. The interior features a dashboard with gauges, a start button and a hand brake lever. The design is a mixture of a supercar mid-rear-end with air intakes at the side and a shortened hot rod like front with front wheels in the open. I admit the limted parts left played a role but I like the idea and the result, though I would have liked something better for the headlights. It's not that visible due to the white background (especially in the last picture), but the roof line flows into the rear spoiler nicely. I consider it pretty much finished but, a few details might change here and there and also when digitizing it later on.

IMG_6960.JPG

IMG_6959.JPG

IMG_6961.JPGIMG_6962.JPG

IMG_6964.JPGIMG_6965.JPG

Really sleek build, looks sooo cool!

The panel work here is fantastic :-)

4 hours ago, Jurss said:

Really good alternative. Some retrofuturstic supercar.

Thank you! I think "retrofuturistic" nails it pretty good and also matches my other cars.

4 hours ago, Saberwing40k said:

Puffin? With the red beak, that's what it reminds me of.

A puffin? Well, thank you :laugh:, but I don't fully agree, although the color scheme and position looks pretty similar. But yeah, there's something animal(istic) going on at the front. But I always found puffins having such sad faces and this model doesn't have a sad face IMHO, more like a lobster face, maybe. :laugh:

3 hours ago, Jundis said:

Really sleek build, looks sooo cool!

The panel work here is fantastic :-)

Thank you very much :blush:, those new panels were/are key here. But actually I didn't really expect this to be hidden in 42137.

Ok, the digital model is finished, name's also set: This is the KT Jikken (Japanese for "experiment") featuring an 8-rotor Wankel engine at the rear for lots of Brap Brap Brap Brap Brap. For other cars from KT have a look at Rebrickable.

This model uses 341 pieces out of the 422 + 8 pieces (incl. spares) of the original model.

kt-jikken.jpg

I target a release for the coming weekend.

Edited by johnnym

Small update to this thread: I also had a try on the 42138 (but took me actually longer to complete than the KT Jikken) and this time the instructions are already available on Rebrickable before publication here.

This is the McKall Interceptor, basically a street-legal F1 car with room for two. A signature element of the car are the sawtooth elements on the engine cover and the two humps behind the seats that are "mirrored" by the wind deflectors in front of the seats. The front part is still the part of the body closest to F1, including the exposed front wheels. The fenders are as close as possible to the wheels, for the front this really took a while to "fix" in place. The ratchet is released the same way as for the KT Jikken, though the implementation is a liitle different. It also has a longer wheelbase and the black beam in the middle part makes it look more flat than it really is. This black line continues to the rear and up to the rear spoiler. Compared to the set parts of 42137 I found it harder to make something out of the large panels in 42138, smaller parts would have allowed for more freedom I think.

functions-1.jpg

details-1.jpgadditional-views-1.jpg

details-2.jpg

additional-views-2.jpgadditional-views-3.jpg