My entry for Summer Joust 2022 - Bridging the Gap category.

Inspired by the assaults on Lothlorien during the war of the ring. The build is not depicting any particular scene from the books, but just trying to capture a mixture of Peter Jacksons darker style, mixed with the classic 1978 cartoon.

Assault on Lothlórien

Assault on Lothlórien

Assault on Lothlórien

Link to album: https://flic.kr/s/aHBqjzWvDn

Great build.  I love the architecture style of the bridge.  The use of the oars and the brown plant pieces in the bridge is just lovely.  This is just a wonderful representation of Elven architecture.  

The woodwork is excellent. You've done a great job making it look a bit whimsical, which fits in with Tolkien's elves well.  Having the elves' side a bit greener is a subtle and nice touch.

Wow, this is beautiful. Definitely captures the feel of Jackson’s elven architecture, but if I’m being pedantic (and really, that’s kind of the name of the game around here, lol) it feels more like Rivendell than Lothlorien to me. 

But really, who cares about that? Really nice build. 

3 hours ago, zoth33 said:

Great build.  I love the architecture style of the bridge.  The use of the oars and the brown plant pieces in the bridge is just lovely.  This is just a wonderful representation of Elven architecture.  

Thanks man! :sweet: I always see people use weird parts and thought it was my turn :grin:

55 minutes ago, jtooker said:

The woodwork is excellent. You've done a great job making it look a bit whimsical, which fits in with Tolkien's elves well.  Having the elves' side a bit greener is a subtle and nice touch.

Thanks a lot! :sweet: I really wanted to capture some of those whimsical 70's/80's fantasy elements, glad you noticed :wink:

48 minutes ago, SirBlake said:

Wow, this is beautiful. Definitely captures the feel of Jackson’s elven architecture, but if I’m being pedantic (and really, that’s kind of the name of the game around here, lol) it feels more like Rivendell than Lothlorien to me. 

But really, who cares about that? Really nice build. 

Thanks man! :sweet: No worries, I do see what mean :laugh:

A very beautiful and elaborately built bridge. I also like the 2 mountains. On the one side the good :angel_sing: with beautiful plants, flowers and animals and on the other side the evil :devil_laugh:.

4 hours ago, NOD said:

A very beautiful and elaborately built bridge. I also like the 2 mountains. On the one side the good :angel_sing: with beautiful plants, flowers and animals and on the other side the evil :devil_laugh:.

Thank you very much :sweet: I went for a really clear distinction between the two sides, happy it came across as I hoped :wink:

27 minutes ago, Mister_Loki said:

I love love the bridge design, also the scenery really sells it. Very beautiful and detailed MOC. :thumbup:

Thank you very much! Means a lot :sweet:

Well done! Great architecture & good colour combos. Reddish brown & Olive green work together nicely :). 

6 hours ago, Sheps said:

Well done! Great architecture & good colour combos. Reddish brown & Olive green work together nicely :). 

Thank you. I try to keep it simple due to a light degree of colorblindess :grin:

2 hours ago, MontyMatte said:

Awesome work. I'm impressed, and always glad to see such LOTR mocs as yours :)

Thank you very much, I'm slowly trying to collect LoTR minifigs so that I can build LoTR MOC's, but naturally the prices make it slightly difficult :laugh:

On 7/3/2022 at 7:26 PM, Sarophas said:

Thank you very much, I'm slowly trying to collect LoTR minifigs so that I can build LoTR MOC's, but naturally the prices make it slightly difficult :laugh:

It's really difficult these days. As a fan of LOTR, I bought a few sets back then and always kept my eyes open for second hand. So I have at least 30. But these are of course my favourites. Surely there are also ways to recreate them reasonably well.