SirBlake

How do you display your castles?

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

The recent discussion of scale (Ideas Blacksmith vs. most other sets) got me thinking. It had never occurred to me that sets being built at different scales would be an issue. Ideas is usually higher detailed and larger scale, and that's what I wanted out of that set. It being in a different scale always seemed like a bonus to me, rather than a problem. It sits on its own shelf, so that didn't bother me. 

So, scale inspiration aside, I wondered how other folks display their collections. I've recently moved to a new house, and set up my home office with some new features, so I thought I'd post some pics. Since we were remodeling the house anyway, and this room had some pretty substantial crown molding, I had some acrylic shelves made and installed RGB LED lights behind them so they'd light up the acrylic.

EDIT: I just noticed how apparent it is that I've got one major hole in the shelving, and you can guess what's going to go there. :pir-laugh:

 

52182520290_711500e645_n.jpgOffice 1 

52182034561_1cb0c97a24_n.jpgOffice 7

52181011737_2d1a5ea28d_n.jpgOffice 6

52182034496_ca36ece0a5_n.jpgOffice 3

How about y'all? How do you display your castles when you're not building?

Edited by SirBlake

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I have chosen to have very limited display space in my home dedicated to LEGO and up until just this year this space was dedicated exclusively to modular buildings (see signature). However, the release of Löwenstein Castle and the Castle in the Forest, inspired some change. Since this photo I have added Black Falcon Knight's Castle by Madewithbrix

Spoiler

r/legocastles - Looking for my next fix to hold me over until August when Lion King's Castle (10305) is available.

I was happy to discover that 10305 splits in half, fitting in two of my 15"x15" (1 and 1/2 standard baseplates wide) cubbies. I typically do not buy sets that don't fit in my current display cubbie.

Edited by Follows Closely
added split in half comment

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

:cry_sad:In plastic bags in my loft!

I don’t have the room to store anything at the moment. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mines a chaotic mess right now, but I dedicated a spare bedroom to be the Lego room and its got a table to display sets/MOC's on. There are very few sets outside of that room, only the Bonsai in my living room next to the TV.

If I move (currently house shopping), I hope to get a much bigger Lego room and then set up an entire world similar to what guys are doing with modulars/city (think Bricksie's basement). I've got so many ideas for it but no space currently!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Most of my sets are on shelves in my apartment, but right now I'm living in my wife's apartment with inlaws, and there's almost no space for my sets.

I would love to dedicate a room for my Lego collection, but housing prices are insane right now here, like 4million for a very regular sized house.  Right now I'm not even sure where I'd even put the Lion Knight's Castle if I got it, haha.  I think I might have to bring some back to my parents place for storage.

Edited by Triceron

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Right now the really old sets are at a different location, the nexo sets are in a glass doored shelf, and the rest in open shelves, but need to take apart a bunch of sets (from other themes like City/Creator 3-in-1 etc) to have room for a castle the size of lion knight.

Edited by TeriXeri

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SirBlake said:

The recent discussion of scale (Ideas Blacksmith vs. most other sets) got me thinking. It had never occurred to me that sets being built at different scales would be an issue. Ideas is usually higher detailed and larger scale, and that's what I wanted out of that set. It being in a different scale always seemed like a bonus to me, rather than a problem. It sits on its own shelf, so that didn't bother me. 

So, scale inspiration aside, I wondered how other folks display their collections. I've recently moved to a new house, and set up my home office with some new features, so I thought I'd post some pics. Since we were remodeling the house anyway, and this room had some pretty substantial crown molding, I had some acrylic shelves made and installed RGB LED lights behind them so they'd light up the acrylic.

EDIT: I just noticed how apparent it is that I've got one major hole in the shelving, and you can guess what's going to go there. :pir-laugh:

Office 1 

Office 7

Office 6

Office 3

How about y'all? How do you display your castles when you're not building?

Colour me jealous. Mine are mostly in boxes as I rotate the collection to fit the space that I have.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Triceron said:

I would love to dedicate a room for my Lego collection, but housing prices are insane right now here, like 4million for a very regular sized house. 

Whoah! Dang man, I’d be living with the inlaws too if that’s what houses cost around here.

This new-to-me house isn’t huge or fancy (3/2, 1,700sqft), but I work from home and just have one kid, so it’s easier to justify having a whole room. No Lego anywhere else in the house. I want to stay married, lol. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, SirBlake said:

Whoah! Dang man, I’d be living with the inlaws too if that’s what houses cost around here.

This new-to-me house isn’t huge or fancy (3/2, 1,700sqft), but I work from home and just have one kid, so it’s easier to justify having a whole room. No Lego anywhere else in the house. I want to stay married, lol

*wisdom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Follows Closely said:

*wisdom

Lol, she’s patient with my hobbies, but I give her every reason I can to make it worth it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SirBlake said:

Whoah! Dang man, I’d be living with the inlaws too if that’s what houses cost around here.

This new-to-me house isn’t huge or fancy (3/2, 1,700sqft), but I work from home and just have one kid, so it’s easier to justify having a whole room. No Lego anywhere else in the house. I want to stay married, lol. 

All relative I suppose. 1,700 sq ft is twice the space of the average house in the UK.

 

I get more envy from looking at photos of peoples houses than their collections on this forum!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Rjbricks said:

All relative I suppose. 1,700 sq ft is twice the space of the average house in the UK.

 

I get more envy from looking at photos of peoples houses than their collections on this forum!

I can't imagine. Anything less than 1,000 sqft in Texas is considered tiny.

I just googled it, and apparently the average house in Texas is 2,400 sqft. I wish! haha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think a 1000 square feet might just about be the average in the Netherlands. I certainly lived smaller than that and no one would consider a 90m2 home small here, let alone tiny.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/29/2022 at 11:26 PM, SirBlake said:

I can't imagine. Anything less than 1,000 sqft in Texas is considered tiny.

I just googled it, and apparently the average house in Texas is 2,400 sqft. I wish! haha

Everything is bigger in Texas, apparently.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Texas is bigger then all but 1 European country (only the European part of Russia is 15x bigger) so there's definately space to build bigger houses.

 

 

Edited by TeriXeri

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I really didn’t plan on the thread being derailed by house sizes, lol. I was just hoping to see pics of how people have their castles displayed. 

Based on how people have been talking about the scale differences between sets, I had imagined that a lot of people have large tables with whole landscapes set up or something. I figured my shelving situation would be kind of boring by comparison. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/29/2022 at 5:46 PM, Follows Closely said:

I have chosen to have very limited display space in my home dedicated to LEGO and up until just this year this space was dedicated exclusively to modular buildings (see signature). However, the release of Löwenstein Castle and the Castle in the Forest, inspired some change. Since this photo I have added Black Falcon Knight's Castle by Madewithbrix

  Hide contents

r/legocastles - Looking for my next fix to hold me over until August when Lion King's Castle (10305) is available.

I was happy to discover that 10305 splits in half, fitting in two of my 15"x15" (1 and 1/2 standard baseplates wide) cubbies. I typically do not buy sets that don't fit in my current display cubbie.

I don't recognise a lot of these. Are they personal MoCs or something you bought instructions for off rebrickeable etc.?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
  • Left
    • 6080: King's Castle
    • 10193: Medieval Market Village
    • 6074: Black Falcon's Fortress
  • Center
    • 7189: Mill Village Raid
    • 910001: Castle in the Forest
    • An in progress MOC
    • BL19001: Löwenstein Castle
    • 7946: King's Castle
    • 70404: King's Castle
  • Right
    • 7093: Skeleton Tower
    • 31120: Medieval Castle - This has since been replaced with MOC - Black Falcon Knight's Castle.
    • Löwenstein Expansion on Rebrickable - It looks like instructions are no longer available for this MOC. Given his latest work for a LEGO competitor, I am not surprised.

The BL19001: Löwenstein Castle and Löwenstein Expansion on Rebrickable go together, but as one they do not fit in a single cubbie.

Edited by Follows Closely
Expansion on Rebrickable go together

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/29/2022 at 12:32 PM, SirBlake said:

So, scale inspiration aside, I wondered how other folks display their collections. I've recently moved to a new house, and set up my home office with some new features, so I thought I'd post some pics. Since we were remodeling the house anyway, and this room had some pretty substantial crown molding, I had some acrylic shelves made and installed RGB LED lights behind them so they'd light up the acrylic.

52182034496_ca36ece0a5_n.jpgOffice 3

In this photo bottom right - what are the two buildings next to Market Village 10193?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, natesroom said:

In this photo bottom right - what are the two buildings next to Market Village 10193?

Those appear to be MOC's.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i assumed that, but i was wondering if he had more photos and more info on them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, natesroom said:

i assumed that, but i was wondering if he had more photos and more info on them.

I don’t presently, but I should take some more pics. Yes they are MOCs, a magic shop and an armory, built to fit with the MMV. I think I haven’t made them public because more than a few compromises were made due to parts availability, but I should do it anyway. They were fun to build and have a lot of fun details in the interior. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.