Murdoch17

Wild West railroad engine shed for steam locomotives MOC - real world MOC - finished 4/21/24

This railway engine shed was mostly inspired by user @lightningtiger, who designed the basic Technic frame on his own smaller shed for his town in 2018, and I ran with the technique to create this wooden western-style steam locomotive shed in June 2022. It is also slightly inspired by by the shed used to store the replica Union Pacific "119" and Central Pacific "Jupiter" 4-4-0 steam locomotive's over at the Golden Spike National Historic Park. (link is to Wikipedia article on the site) located at Promontory Summit, Utah.

53668322276_a411c03114_z.jpg

The shed is 3 1/2 tracks long with a total of 56 studs from back wall to the leading edge of the baseplate, with injection molded 1/2 track pieces from Bricktracks used in the MOC. The building also features a cow skull on the front between the locomotive stalls, just to give it that Wild West flair.

52177439724_022f58f5aa_z.jpg

The model quite neatly fits both 4-4-0's I made that were inspired by set 7597. You can see the real world photos of the engines and more in this thread here. (sorry for the digital-only picture like this, but I can't get the roof off to take it in real life!)

53668778595_4fbb0e1798_z.jpg

The rear of the shed features a personnel door for workers. The roof of the shed is not removable, but it can fold open a very small amount bit on clips on either side. (maybe a quarter of an inch at most?)

....And that's all I have!

As usual, comments, complaints, and suggestions on this model welcome!

EDIT: Main post updated with real world pictures as of 4/21/24!

Edited by Murdoch17

I think the shed really fits with the engines. I look forward to seeing your progress.

On 6/29/2022 at 2:41 PM, garmsey said:

I think the shed really fits with the engines. I look forward to seeing your progress.

@garmsey Well, to honest, the project has been pushed back to at least November, but don't despair! It's parts have been ordered, it's just I can't quite build it yet. (I'll have more info to add around then... it's complicated.)

Slight update to train shed as of 7/14/22:
52215851671_8f0fceb58f_z.jpg

The 3D printed half-track pieces I bought didn't want to attach to the baseplate properly, so they have been removed. Also, the 8x16 bricks were hitting the side-rods of the steam locomotives, so they were replaced with a multitude of 6x8 plates to lower the platform to a height where they wouldn't collide.

Well, I'm two years late, but here is the loco shed in real bricks!

53668322276_a411c03114_z.jpg

Check out the revised first post for more pictures!