Sign in to follow this  
Legostein

[MOC] Small Pirate Brigantine (small-hulled-boat)

Hello everbody,

I would like to share a small pirate brigantine with you. The hull is brick-built, the sails are all original cloth pieces, the smaller ones being hammocks (part 28981). It is intended as a playset, so a more classic building style has been applied. The figures are alternate pirate minifigures as an addiition to the official ones. Pieces were chosen to also give them the classic pirates era look.

Have a good start into the new week!

:pir-thumb:

brigantine-1.jpg

brigantine-2.jpg

brigantine-4.jpg

brigantine-7.jpg

pirates-2.jpg

More images on FlickR.

Nice brig. You have the essence of the classic Pirate era playability with this ship. The use of the hammock pieces (which I never knew existed) for small sails is ingenious. Well done.

3 hours ago, Feuer Zug said:

Nice brig. You have the essence of the classic Pirate era playability with this ship.

@Legostein sure has!

21 hours ago, Legostein said:

It is intended as a playset,

Do you create building instructions for your designs?

This is REALLY clever!  I mean, it's not really anything approaching historical accuracy, but it REALLY captures the classic Lego Pirates feel, which is a terrific thing in and of itself.  It's like a BSB for people that don't have the money or space for the normal set, but still want to get their kids some Legos.

I almost like this more!

Very interesting use of the sextant as a figurehead. These small sized ship builds are really fun!

Waouh! That's a MOC that bring a big blast of nostalgy! It really looks like a classic pirate set! Like a tiny barracuda! Great job! (The female minifig torsos are not my taste but that doesn't take anything away from that really nice moc)!

On 6/27/2022 at 2:48 PM, Feuer Zug said:

Nice brig. You have the essence of the classic Pirate era playability with this ship. The use of the hammock pieces (which I never knew existed) for small sails is ingenious. Well done.

Thank you! A major challenge is to finde alternate sail pieces as I only use original parts for these playset creations. :pir-sweet:

On 6/27/2022 at 5:52 PM, Mister Phes said:

Do you create building instructions for your designs?

Thank you! I currently only do instructions for SciFi Mini Models. For me, these pirate ships are "large" creations, and making building instructions take much more time than I have currently. So I have to ask for your understanding not being able to provide these at the moment. :pir-blush:

On 6/27/2022 at 9:10 PM, SerenityInFire said:

That's a cute little ship.  Nice use of classic heads for your crew as well.

Thank you! A rule that I try to stick to when creating classic-styled sets is to only use classic heads without white spots in the pupills like the newer heads have.

On 6/27/2022 at 11:37 PM, Fraunces said:

love the old school style. great work

Thank you! I appreciate your comment! :pirate:

On 6/28/2022 at 5:01 AM, Cousarmy0001 said:

This is REALLY clever!  I mean, it's not really anything approaching historical accuracy, but it REALLY captures the classic Lego Pirates feel, which is a terrific thing in and of itself.  It's like a BSB for people that don't have the money or space for the normal set, but still want to get their kids some Legos.

I almost like this more!

Thank you very much! I am glad there is still interest for classic-styled MOCs. :pir-sweet:

On 6/30/2022 at 9:39 AM, Filibbooo said:

Very nice. Could also be categorised as mid-scale build. 

Thank you for your suggestion! I will remember this for the next ships of that size. :pir-classic:

On 7/1/2022 at 4:15 PM, PxChris said:

Very interesting use of the sextant as a figurehead. These small sized ship builds are really fun!

Thank you! They are indeed fun, but that does not mean it's simple. As you mentioned the figurehead, for example, it took me much time to find something like this that had not been used in that function regularly yet. :pirate:

On 7/3/2022 at 6:01 PM, Mister Phes said:

I can see this on the Classic Pirates Instagram in the future! :pir-stareyes:

It would be an honor! :pir-huzzah2:

On 7/3/2022 at 6:22 PM, blackdeathgr said:

I simply love it!!! Great ode to the old ship and definitely more affordable :pir-huzzah1:

Thank you! And there is definitely more to come. :pir-grin:

On 7/12/2022 at 11:11 AM, Zed_43 said:

Waouh! That's a MOC that bring a big blast of nostalgy! It really looks like a classic pirate set! Like a tiny barracuda! Great job! (The female minifig torsos are not my taste but that doesn't take anything away from that really nice moc)!

Thank you for your comment! You are right, I always spent some time to think of how a classic playset addition could have looked like. :pir-thumb:

Thank you everybody for your time, comments, and interest! See you around! :pir-huzzah2: