I need to re-introduce myself again I guess. Mine name is Jacob and born in 1978. I love 12v trains, but 9v trains which are nice are also be found in mine layout. Mine last layout was full and a great oppertunity came to move to a bigger house. Mine demand was simple, the attic must be bigger and the heating installation must be by the stairs (which is common in Holland to have that thing at attic).

The house itself was ok, only attic needs to rebuild. I've removed everything what not belonged to structure of house itself to maximaze to area for the trains. It took me almost 1 year for the first legotrack could be laid down. I need to work too :P . Now we are more than half year building and this is result sofar. I made a few movies at YouTube. Spoken movies are about 15min and a few shorter ones were only the trains are running, so you can hear the sound of running 12v trains.

Movies of PandaCity of Bricks

Offocurse a few pictures of mine layout:

02_-_controlepaneel_treinen.jpg

The heart of the layout, the controlpanel. A laptop is smaller, but I want to use the orginal switches and original parts that Lego has made.

img_0676.jpg

The proud of mine layout and where the layout is build around it, the train-engineshed 10027 x2 and made it higer so the 7740 can pass without modification.

img_0588.jpg

The 7740 is based on the Baureihe class 103 and always wanted the model of it. After 40 years some-one made a moc and that has changed many times till one came which fits beautifully side by side the set 7740. I made one in the colors of 7740 and one in darkred/tan what is the color of the Baureihe class 103, which is in livingroom in showcase :P .

img_0688.jpg

Never realized it, but the Emerald Night is also a jewel in any lego train layout. It is based at the Flying Scottmann, so I was so free to made it more looking as Flying Scotmann, what a red buffer can do with the looks. Also made the steamengine smaller to 8 studs, which is more pratical with running at 12v. Grey connecting rods for better visability when moving. An 2d tender for a 2d 12v motor for more pulling power. And build 2 extra wagons, diner- and sleepwagon. an 4th will build also, cargowagon. Problem I need to order parts everywhere to build what I want. If bricklink didn't excist, this as not possible.

This is a few what I have done sofar. Movies tells more than I can write here. Hope you like it, or maybe not. Have a nice day and enjoy building wit lego.

Very nice Jacob. Great to see you are still in the LEGO hobby, has been quite a while when I last met you :) I especially like your 7740 MOD.

Astounding layout and collection. Having all the 12v stuff out and working is mind-boggling on it's own. To add a DB Class 103 in a retro 7740 style along with an Emerald Night/Flying Scotsman is over the top. You even use the new road plates!

Wow. That is incredibly nice - so many things to discover.

And this is how a 12V train organ with 4 full sized manuals looks like! I always wanted to see one - it finally happened:pir-love:!

Have great fun with your new attic, your layout, and life!

All the best,
Thorsten

3 hours ago, zephyr1934 said:

Wow!!!! 

12v lives strong, it is a stunning layout

It lives longer than his Panda I think (he has/used to have a little Fiat).

Holy moley. this is uh... a lot to take in. Amazing, really classic feel and look!

@BillytheKid thanks for sharing pictures and videos of your new layout. Great that you have the opportunity to arrange the attic so you can set up such a great permanent layout. 

And well done with the modern 7740   engine. I had that in my to do list but now you've done it. (Need to share my 7740 panorama wagon btw.) I like the idea either keeping the colors and using modern curved elements or keeping the old design and using new colors.

Keep on building on your layout! 

Holger

Thank you for your positive posts and nice to read that people like what I do.

@JopieK: I still drive that little car.

@HoMa: There is one thing I guess I need your help. I designed mine layout also that your roundhouse can be build in also. I need to know how big it is and how that turning track is working. Than I can start to order bricks at bricklink to start the building of it.

On 6/24/2022 at 9:07 AM, BillytheKid said:

I need to re-introduce myself again I guess. Mine name is Jacob and born in 1978. I love 12v trains, but 9v trains which are nice are also be found in mine layout. Mine last layout was full and a great oppertunity came to move to a bigger house. Mine demand was simple, the attic must be bigger and the heating installation must be by the stairs (which is common in Holland to have that thing at attic).

The house itself was ok, only attic needs to rebuild. I've removed everything what not belonged to structure of house itself to maximaze to area for the trains. It took me almost 1 year for the first legotrack could be laid down. I need to work too :P . Now we are more than half year building and this is result sofar. I made a few movies at YouTube. Spoken movies are about 15min and a few shorter ones were only the trains are running, so you can hear the sound of running 12v trains.

Movies of PandaCity of Bricks

Offocurse a few pictures of mine layout:

02_-_controlepaneel_treinen.jpg

Wow, this is where I dreamed of as a kid .... Would love to play with it and see how everything is connected.

img_0694.jpgSlowly and steadily we keep on going. Replace the orginal stickers for vinyl replica's. Now mine 7750 Hogwards Express can run in his full glory. And a short view of mine layout and why I build an 9v contol like I did.

A movie of the running 7750 Hogwards Express at 12v.

Edited by BillytheKid

Looking at this and drooling as a fellow 12v fan! That’s a fabulous collection of everything that is great about the classic system. I love the number of loops and options you have for switching and so on.

It may of been the hue of green with the effect these blue tinted polarized pit vipers give me with my prescription lenses, but that yellow train is sharp enough for me to like its existance without any quantum observation theories needed. Thanks for a type of train I like to actually see.

Great layout (THAT control console is...well, eeeh...I'd say...something that goes beyond any 12v desire!!! :pir-love:) and great 7740! It's a true example of  "12v+" - new shapes based on old technology!!!

Nice, nice , nice stuff! :wub:

Ciao!

Davide

p.s. Greetings from my old Panda 750!!!  :thumbup:

I have been following your videos on YT- stunning layout, collection, and variety of MOCs! I quite like the 7740 redesigned engine as well. 7750 + Hogwarts Express is a unique combination that goes together nicely, well done!

Thank you again for the nice positive posts.

You want more movies of running 12v trains:
Click here to see an Emerald Night in almost full glory at 12v.

A short 2d movie of the Emerald Night train (or should I say Flying Scottman?) running at 12v with double tender (which have the double 12v motor) and 3 wagons. The 1st is the orginal one, 2d a kitchen/dinerwagon and the 3th a sleepwagon. Thw whole train ain't finished and a 4th cargowagon is planned to build, it takes time before all parts are arrived. Also changed the connecting rods to grey, so you see them moving.

That is a nice layout, it reminds me of the images from the 7777 train ideas book and what would come out over the years if you started with that in mind. I also like the inclusion of new elements like the road plates in a way that fits in with the old things, I didn't even notice that until I read the comment about them.

To me, 7740 has always been the definitive Lego train (nothing has surpassed that since), so it's very nice to see that in it's "native" surroundings. I only have the 12V track that came with the 7740, so I think if I ever want to include mine in a bigger layout, I will probably need to use the PF motor with it. But if the new road plates can be integrated with the old layouts, maybe that's not so bad either :hmpf:

Thank you for all nice positive reactions sofar.

I'm busy with mine Emerald Night at 12v. Well to let it look like the Flying Scottmann, the real steam engine what was rebuild few years ago and rides again. Maybe even better when left the factory in 1923 when it was build. Nice fact, this steam engine can reach 100Mph, not bad at that time.
Enough talk, pictures:img_0750.jpg

img_0751.jpg

img_0752.jpg

img_0753.jpg

img_0754.jpg

img_0755.jpg

What have I done sofar? The steam engine is made smaller back to max 8 studs wide for practical reasons. You can see the track lay beside eachother and will colide other passing trains. A red buffer, like the Fyling Scotmann. THe connecting rods are changing for light (bluish) grey, so you can see they moving. Made an extra tender (was done in USA also I think) for the double 12v motor for extra pulling power.
Added 3 extra different wagons which are designed by Jesper Burgdorff. Still need to order few bricks for completion, but the idea will be clear. I add a few Muppet minifigs as reminder when they were build for myself.

Such a long train in a classic 12 V layout, wow! What kind of wheels do you use in the wagons? The classic 12 V wheels which spin not so well and make it hard to pull so many wagons? Or newer wheels which run better? 

Have you thought of a green instead of darkgreen version of the locomotive? That might bring it a bit closer to the classic colors, even if green wasn't actually a color you could build MOCs. But it was used for baseplates and 2xX plates as ground for accessory castle walls.

I like the integration of the new road plates which makes a great boulevard with some islands in the middle of the both directions.

I bought the Emerald Night from S@H at those days. Always wanted it at 12v from beginning and extra wagons for more 'body' as train. One wagon looks silly :look: . It stays dark green like the set. It is based at Flying Scottmann. I like your green one with 2 12v motors :grin_wub:.

I use 9v wheels, they roll better. Experimented with ball bearing, but slighty better than without. You need to have the right ones and aren't cheap to get. I replaced all 12v wheels with 9v ones with long trains. Only short trains or it looks odd to have 9v wheels. I also replaced all old magnets for the new stronger ones.

Mine idea of those new roadplates to use it for a highway which leads to the city and ends with a roundabout to split it in sereval directions. I need still to build it up, many sets are still stored in moving boxes. I want the train layout self in running condition, before place all sets. And many white sets are discolored too. Still a lot of work to do. Also need to build your big trainshed too :excited:.