Sign in to follow this  
lego.ryan

Battle of the Pelennor Fields: Eowyn and Gothmog

My first Lord of the Rings creation! It's a small and very simple vignette meant to show off my Eowyn (Dernhelm) and Gothmog figs. Not sure if the scene of the two fighting one-on-one was in the theatrical release, but it's included in the Extended Edition and I really liked the scene, so I built it! :wink:

Pictures:

2620481756_9c202e43a6.jpg

2619657457_a5c1973c3a.jpg

2619658663_2c97bc0e87.jpg

2619656955_28683aa2ff.jpg

Questions, comments, and constructive criticism are all appreciated. You can also leave notes and comments on my flickr page (link in signature). Thanks!

-Ryan

Very nicely done! :oh: Gothmog's sword almost perfectly matches what he had in the movie! :thumbup: And Eowyn's, of course, dinky little Rohirrim sword as it is( :tongue: ), is represented great by that one! Also, that's an interesting use of the Goblin helmet; I must admit that when I first came to this page I thought that was Gothmog, seriously not expecting you to give it to Eowyn. :tongue:

Also, the new Goblin 'armor' is a good way of representing Gothmog's(and Sharku's, you know! :oh: ) furs and piled armor around the neck area. :thumbup:

Now, the head, and I'm sure you knew I'd get here eventually( :tongue: ), is actually the best suited head for the purpose, but I never really liked it, as it seems to smart, too acute, too nimble, and we all know Gothmog as being not particularly any of those. :wink:

All things considered, it's one of the few truly good attempts to bring Tolkien's work into a whole new dimension: with Lego bricks! :sweet:

Cool LotR figs! I've been working on my own collection of LotR figs, but I hadn't gotten around to Éowyn or Orks and Uruk Hai yet. Your Éowyn looks very good. Great, face, great helmet... a very Rohirrim-like armour indeed. Gothmog is the best way you can have him in Lego, I think. Well put together, sir!

Nice little vig, specially Eowyn :thumbup:

But if I can make oned criticism I think the standard LC orc face works better for Gothmog instead of goblins, but that's just my opinion... :grin:

But if I can make oned criticism I think the standard LC orc face works better for Gothmog instead of goblins, but that's just my opinion... :grin:

The only problem is is that it's green and Gothmog's a pinkish white. :wink: Although I DO remember someone making some stickers for a white version of the head; that could work. But Gothmog also has his mutated side. So much to cover... That'd make a good sticker for a head, IMO. :oh:

Come to think of it, perhaps the Bib Fortuna face (from the Star Wars line) might work for Gothmog?

Come to think of it, perhaps the Bib Fortuna face (from the Star Wars line) might work for Gothmog?

Hmm; good idea, Spielbrick! Although it could use a little modding; once again, Fortuna's head looks a little more like the plotting, crafty one. :wink: I think a little touching up on the eye and no eyebrows would make it fit quite nicely. :wink:

I am not too familiar with the lord of the rings, but judging by others comments, and work from your previous vigs, this is likely a very nice job. Good work! :classic:

Tom

Nice job! I like Eowyn [perfect] but I'm a tad iffy about Gothmog's head. I think that this one might work better.

Very nicely done! :oh: Gothmog's sword almost perfectly matches what he had in the movie! :thumbup: And Eowyn's, of course, dinky little Rohirrim sword as it is( :tongue: ), is represented great by that one! Also, that's an interesting use of the Goblin helmet; I must admit that when I first came to this page I thought that was Gothmog, seriously not expecting you to give it to Eowyn. :tongue:

Also, the new Goblin 'armor' is a good way of representing Gothmog's(and Sharku's, you know! :oh: ) furs and piled armor around the neck area. :thumbup:

Now, the head, and I'm sure you knew I'd get here eventually( :tongue: ), is actually the best suited head for the purpose, but I never really liked it, as it seems to smart, too acute, too nimble, and we all know Gothmog as being not particularly any of those. :wink:

All things considered, it's one of the few truly good attempts to bring Tolkien's work into a whole new dimension: with Lego bricks! :sweet:

Thank you! I really love the new Orc helmets, but I think that they're just too lovely to use on Orcs. :tongue:

The new goblin armor is dead useful, and I'm glad you saw it like I saw it... a way to bulk up Gothmog and to make it look like fur and armor! And I agree on the head, it looks a little too cunning for Gothmog, but the ears and the color seemed similar enough and a regular minifig head wouldn't cut it. :wacko:

Cool LotR figs! I've been working on my own collection of LotR figs, but I hadn't gotten around to Éowyn or Orks and Uruk Hai yet. Your Éowyn looks very good. Great, face, great helmet... a very Rohirrim-like armour indeed. Gothmog is the best way you can have him in Lego, I think. Well put together, sir!

Thanks! And I've seen yours before on Flickr, I love your Gandalf and Boromir! And I was really pleased with Eowyn as well, she's one of my favorite characters in Lord of the Rings. And thanks for the compliment on Gothmog, too! :laugh:

Thanks!

I'm not sure about the new Orc face though for Gothmog... it's a little green. :sick:

The only problem is is that it's green and Gothmog's a pinkish white. :wink: Although I DO remember someone making some stickers for a white version of the head; that could work. But Gothmog also has his mutated side. So much to cover... That'd make a good sticker for a head, IMO. :oh:

Exactly! :sweet:

Amazing scene! Very accurate. I love the helmet for Eowyn.

Thank you! I really love those Orc helmets, they're beautiful! :wub:

I see what you mean...

Hmm; good idea, Spielbrick! Although it could use a little modding; once again, Fortuna's head looks a little more like the plotting, crafty one. :wink: I think a little touching up on the eye and no eyebrows would make it fit quite nicely. :wink:

Too bad I don't own one. :sceptic:

And I'm not the best at customizing and decals. :tongue:

I am not too familiar with the lord of the rings, but judging by others comments, and work from your previous vigs, this is likely a very nice job. Good work! :classic:

Tom

Thank you! :blush:

Nice job! I like Eowyn [perfect] but I'm a tad iffy about Gothmog's head. I think that this one might work better.

Thanks! The only problem with that head though is that Gothmog's head is really deformed. The face though would work really well.

Thanks for all the comments and replies, everybody!

Very nice! :thumbup: i haven't seen this extended scene on my DVD but your creation is cool all the same. The Eowyn figure is great!

A nice little vig, intresting use of the troll headgear hadn't really thought of it as possible for humans before (I have limited imagination), my only issue is with the use of flesh tons but that's a personal issue rather than a problem with vig.

A well done vig. I do like it, but since you asked for constructive criticism I'll share a few minor things I would change.

The Base: My only issue with the base is the opposite of what I usually see in vigs. Lots of people make vigs of interior scenes or outdoor paved areas, but leave the studs showing. Using tiles gives it a better finished look. Here however, I would choose studs over tiles. It's the Pellenor Fields, a dusty barren battlefield. Exposed studs would convey that look better I think.

Other than that minor nit, the base looks good. I like the tufts of grass and the use of both tan and dark tan.

The Minifigs: The figs look great. I do agree with the suggestion about the Bib Fortuna head for Gothmog, but if you don't have it I think the goblin head works fine. The Marion Ravenwood head looks good for Eowyn, but I think in this vig I would turn it around and use the scared face. On the battlefield, she usually had a grim and determined look or a frightened expression. A grim look would be my choice for the fig, but the scared look works too (it is her first battle and she's fighting for her life after all).

My other criticism with the figs would be their placement. If you hadn't told us what this vig was I would have thought it was a generic vig of two old friends who have unexpectedly met on the field of battle. With how close they are standing, Gothmog's sword at his side and Eowyn's sword gently resting on it (and her smile) they look happy to see each other. I would move Eowyn back one stud and position them with upraised swords so that they look like they are trying to actually kill each other.

That's it really - they are rather minor changes. The tiles vs. studs look is a taste issue. As I said at the beginning of this post it's a well done vig. Just turn Eowyn's head around and put the figs in a more dynamic pose and it should be even better.

Edited by The Brick Rat

I would change Eowyn's torso to a viking one. There are several that would work very well. Also, I really don't like the helmet she has on. My final criticism is that she looks a bit to happy. It probably sounds like I don't like this vig but I do. Overall it's quite nice. Just trying to give a bit of constructive criticism.