Sign in to follow this  
Bob

Excalibur Mafia 4 - Conclusion and Discussion

NMe538p.png

Excalibur Mafia 4

Conclusion

0J1LULD.jpg

"Well, you've got me fair and square!" Dustin says.

aiI92Gm.jpg

Dustin Pherson (Duvors) was Corruped!

wUrQCxu.jpg

Congratulations to the Survivors, Hiveon (Zepher) and James (Rumble Strike) as well as the rest of the Town!

---

Survivors (2):
hq0z9Bf.jpg
Lt. Commander Hiveon Cheseelo - Zepher (Town)
PMUjRBI.jpg
Lieutenant James Riley - Rumble Strike (Town)

Dead (6):
tYaHgFV.jpg
Commander Te'voka - Darkdragon (Town)
AtSXZig.jpg
Lieutenant Reechsavo Heecan - Jimmynick (Corrupted)
E2DBk6K.jpg
Lt. Commander Dr. Hailey Macdougal - Tariq j (Town)
3sP02Jr.jpg
Lieutenant Christine Arnold - EmersonDAnite (Town)
q228LdM.jpg 
Lieutenant Gabriel Fenton - KotZ (Town)
6WSuEtE.jpg
Lt. Commander Dustin Pherson - Duvors (Corrupted)

There's quite a bit that I'd like to say and am going to say about mafia on Eurobricks but it'll take me some more time to plan it out, but to keep everyone from waiting, here's the conclusion!

Here's the night actions:

31f49824f73845a89bc3b1472c83796b.png

What a well put together game, Bob!!! I had a lot of fun here after the long slow death crawl that was the town in Mainstreet! Felt the scum played well as well! I wasn’t joking when I was talking about power roles either: I assumed investigator is most frequently included, then doctor, then blocker, then maybe watcher or vig? But vig seems super unlikely in such a small game!

Well played, all! Hope everyone had fun!

Duvors, I am truly curious about the decision to message me saying you thought I was the doctor! It was a right on read, and the fact I wasn’t killed that night made me really trust you! Why didn’t you kill me that night, or the following? I don’t know if it was just a cold feet situation or what, but regardless it really made me protective of you until Rumble caught you out with a great play!

Well played everyone! And thanks for the game Bob. You and other hosts have really helped keep mafia alive on EB these past few years. Very lucky that the town PR roles were able to survive. My scum radar was off... again :tongue:

There's a lot to discuss when talking about the "future of mafia" and I don't want it to sound grandiose or anything like that. I'd definitely like other people's feedback on it, even if you didn't play in this game.

Mafia on Eurobricks used to be a lot more popular - that goes without saying. Zepher's Eurodina (now twelve years ago *oh2*) had over 40 players in it with still some people in reserves. In more recent years, we've barely gotten into double digits, let alone anywhere near that. I went back in time as well through the Index to the first Excalibur game (23 players). Throughout the years, there's been a few assumptions and issues about mafia on this forum that still persist today:

1) Mafia is complicated: This assumption perhaps comes from people that have seen some of the more...complex setups that have been on the boards and thought that mafia might not be for them. This is why we used to have a mafia school requirement, however with I doubt we could get enough new players in a mafia school. It's why I've tried to make the more recent mafia games that I've hosted very simple and easy to understand. I'm certainly very guilty of making complicated and complex mafia games. I think we started making mafia games complex because we'd played so many standard ones and we needed more spice and variety. Eventually I suppose it got too spicy. 

2) Mafia requires commitment: This assumption probably comes from times where players would PM constantly, make spreadsheets, create townblocks, post very regularly, and players could sometimes be flamed if they didn't show up every single day to respond to every single thing. So, as time went on, people got burnt out from playing mafia. What was supposed to be a fun forum game became very competitive for some people. This can be a good thing and it usually was because it would encourage people to show up for the next game, but I suppose there has been definite fatigue. There's also a noticeable disappearance of the "regulars" that would always play. This issue is more to do with the passage of time. The first mafia game on Eurobricks was in 2008. That's almost fourteen years ago. A lot of people have played mafia on Eurobricks - some have played one game, some have played in dozens of games. 

3) Mafia Metagaming: This is an issue that always exists no matter what. You're going to want to get rid of the "good" and "veteran" players first in any game. Metagaming used to be less of an issue because the same people would always sign-up for mafia, but eventually as more and more people started to play mafia and some of the "veteran regulars" or whatever you want to call them fell off playing, the older and more skilled players were often the first to be lynched or night killed and so mafia became less fun for them. If Shadows or Hinckley or Dragonator were still alive by Day Five, there was something fishy going on. That's why anonymous mafia was introduced and I think it was extremely effective. It's time consuming and a bitch to set up, but it's a more fun experience for the older players because they can blend in and not be immediately killed off. I think of the remaining people that still have mafia'd recently, Zepher and I are some of the oldest still going. Zepher started in Mystery Castle if I remember right (the third ever game) and I started in Baritones (the fourth ever game). In a game with so few people, it's difficult to determine if metagaming is still around. I guess DD dying first might be metagaming, she's been playing mafia nearly as long as Zepher and I. Duvors will have to comment on why he chose her to kill.

Anonymous mafia honestly might be the future to bring people back into the game while still getting new people to play. That way people can sign up in a thread or through a PM for total anonymity. Anonymous mafia, while a pain to host, has always been very fun and I think for the next game I host that's how I'll do it. In the meantime, I'm pretty sure I've hosted the last three or four games (I've lost track) so if anyone else wants to host feel free. If not, you'll have to wait a month for the next game. 

As I said, please feel free to comment yourselves even if you didn't play this game or you haven't played mafia in ages. This could really be its own topic, but I think it's fine in here.

Thank you for hosting Bob, and it's evident that I don't have the same energy to contribute to mafia that I did even a couple of years ago. Sorry @Duvors for my general absence.

On 6/21/2022 at 6:57 AM, jimmynick said:

Thank you for hosting Bob, and it's evident that I don't have the same energy to contribute to mafia that I did even a couple of years ago. Sorry @Duvors for my general absence.

You were fine. Something else I was thinking of doing next game is maybe raising the day from 72 hours to 96 hours, but I haven’t fully decided yet. 

The reason we instituted the “no voting before 24 hours” rule is from Noir Mafia when someone was lynched within the first few hours of the day. A pattern I’m noticing is people waiting until the last possible minute to do a lynch, leaving people with no time to defend themselves. If I increase the day time, maybe a rule could be added that mandates you vote before the 72 hour mark and then the extra 24 hours is for unvoting and revoting while people try to defend themselves? It seems a bit heavy handed though. Some scum thrive on the last minute vote on a townie, which I suppose could still happen. 

What do people think?

You’re right Bob - there was a time when day threads would be tens of pages long. Now people are less active then perhaps it may be a good choice to let game days last longer to allow people (read: lazy oiks like me) play at a more sedate pace.

Extending the day time definitely sounds like something to try out for the next game.

In regards to your first point about complicated games. Maybe we could make some sort of "beginners guide" to mafia games on EB? Like it could go through the basic roles, general rules, maybe some tips about playing as third party or scum etc. I'd be happy to make/help contribute to one. That way new players won't have to do a mafia school but will still have a rough guide to use when they need too. 

So, the next game will probably be 96 hours and will definitely be an anonymous game. Probably in about a month, so if anyone wants to try their hand at hosting in the meantime feel free to ask!

Thanks for the game! I enjoyed it!

Sign in to follow this