Memo5378

Tracks available on Pick & Build

Good day to all of you train lovers! I was just wondering: I’m I the only one that just noticed that you can now by tracks as a single item on Pick & Build, like any other item? 

All in canadian dollar:
- Rail Straight 16M, 6070018, 1.70$
- Rail Curved 22 1/2 Deg. 4279717, 2.94$
- Switch Right, 6085188, 14.75$
- Switch Left, 6085213, 14,54$
- Control Switch 6163975, 0.61$

They also have the very useless flex rail, which is surprisingly expensive (1.02$ each). I didn’t try to buy them, but I wass able to add them to my bag. The only unanswered question I have is that next to the description of the straight rail it « use as a bundle ». What does that mean? I was able to had 1, 2 or 10 in my bag.

As anyone ordered them like that? I find the price to be not too bad, as the cheapest « new » piece of track I could find on BL was 1.20$ (CAD) and it comes all the way from Turkey. However - and that is fine for me - the parts are all expensive, apart from the straight piece.

Choo-choo.

Not sure how to take all this. I have ordered the control switch before now in quantity to replace missing switches. I had no issues with getting them. As for the curved rail, that's a ripoff, even if it's a pack of 4. LEGO produces so many, they're like all the extra brick separators out there. As to the regular rail and the bundle, who knows. I saw that last week when they reopened the full Pick-A-Brick option and ordered 1 rail segment. We'll see how it goes.

I'll agree that the control switch pieces and the straight rail are the only decently priced parts. Even the individual switches are nearly the cost of the full switch set 60238.

Does Pick & Build qualify for VIP points, free shipping, or the Gift with Purchase if ordered enough?

*huh* 

Wait a minute… Is the price of the straights for a single piece or a 4-pack…?

B/c if thats the price for a 4-pack…!

if those are a 4-pack that is a crazy good deal, better then ah... illict... lego goods you can find online, Might even be better then getting double straight trixbrix?

I mean they get produced in a 4-pack. The machines stick the 2 bars in themselves. I don't think sombody takes these packs apart if someone orders less than 4 pieces!

I'd like to cite Douglas Adams: "Now it is such a bizarrely improbable coincidence that anything so mind-bogglingly useful could have evolved purely by chance ..." 

A 4-pack of straight track for €1,33 ??? The probability of this to happen is - well, bizarrely improbable :pir-laugh: and in case of TLG (as judged from company founding up-to now) zero.

I just put one of these items into the PaB cart: €1,33 + €9 S&H. No, I did not click on checkout :pir-skel:

Best,
Thorsten

But if you add enough non-Best Seller items to your PaB cart, they drop the crazy surcharge.

As said, when my PaB order arrives, I'll let people know what I got.

The straight track has been in Lugbuk with a similar description for many years now. In Lugbulk it has given 1 piece of track per 1 item ordered, even though the description sounds like it is 4x per item ordered.

However, I remember when the PF train motor wheels first became available on PaB. They sold for something like $0.35 and came in a bag of 4. You got 4/$0.35. A year later they fixed the "problem" and you only got 1/$0.35. So there is a chance that PaB will ship you 4/$1.70 which I suspect is NOT their intent but might happen anyway.

There's one way to find out, order one and see what arrives.  :pir-classic:

On 6/20/2022 at 9:51 AM, zephyr1934 said:

The straight track has been in Lugbuk with a similar description for many years now. In Lugbulk it has given 1 piece of track per 1 item ordered, even though the description sounds like it is 4x per item ordered.

However, I remember when the PF train motor wheels first became available on PaB. They sold for something like $0.35 and came in a bag of 4. You got 4/$0.35. A year later they fixed the "problem" and you only got 1/$0.35. So there is a chance that PaB will ship you 4/$1.70 which I suspect is NOT their intent but might happen anyway.

I have very fond memory of the first year that cows were available on LUGBulk.

Order 10 cows, and 20 horns to go with them.

Receive 10 cows prepackaged with 2 horns each.

Receive 20 horns prepackaged with another horn and a cow!!!

Result, 30 cows, complete with horns. 

Now imagine the fates of the people who ordered 100+ 😛

As for the thread topic....definitely a great price! Too bad I already got my fill of plastic track off LUGBulk years ago... in addition to my several hundred 9v straights...

You can also get curved rails, more expensive than the straights, but interestingly they're described as RAIL CURVED 22½ DEG 

A little part of me wonders if Lego intend to produce curved rail of different radii?

Saw that as well, also the price ...

Well, 8 x 22.5 = 180 degrees = 1 half circle. Could mean anything where 8 curves of any size/radius make a half circle.

I believe though that there would have been a lot of noise from TLG should they decide on diving into the competition with other products. I believe these are R40's.

But who knows :pir-laugh:

Best
Thorsten

My Pick A Brick order arrived yesterday evening. I received only 1 rail segment. I know they removed it from a bundle because it retained both pins. At a $1.34 USD per piece, it's not a bad deal compared to Bricklink.

1 hour ago, Feuer Zug said:

My Pick A Brick order arrived yesterday evening. I received only 1 rail segment. I know they removed it from a bundle because it retained both pins. At a $1.34 USD per piece, it's not a bad deal compared to Bricklink.

Thanks for your service! might just stick to the double straights then, its not to bad though as the real things are only about 40 cents more then the pretty good knock offs from amazon.

That's good to know the packer will unbundle the tracks when less than multiple of fours.   :pir-classic:

Awww man… I was hoping to make a run on a healthy bundle of straight segments…

Edited by M_slug357

2 hours ago, M_slug357 said:

Awww man… I was hoping to make a run on a healthy bundle of straight segments…

You and me both. That's why I tried it with one segment. If it worked, I was going to order them in mass quantity.

On 7/11/2022 at 8:18 PM, Feuer Zug said:

If it worked, I was going to order them in mass quantity.

I really like your attitude. Sorry that it did not work out!

Citing Douglas Adams ("... bizarrely improbable coincidence ...") was ... a bit of a stretch (as everything else this genius came up with, I love all of his works) - in quantum mechanics, improbability is not well-defined :pir-laugh: - low, or bizarrely low probability is, though. Well, the bizarrely bit is usually replaced with "very low".

In summary, I thought the probability of $1.34 for a pack of x > 1 track segments was very low :pir-huzzah2:.

All the best,
Thorsten

Since it is a manual process, you could end up with a bundle of four if the picker packers weren't trained properly or had their morning coffee.  :pir-classic:

12 hours ago, Toastie said:

I really like your attitude. Sorry that it did not work out!

You never know until you try. But I have another segment of track now.

9 hours ago, dr_spock said:

Since it is a manual process, you could end up with a bundle of four if the picker packers weren't trained properly or had their morning coffee.  :pir-classic:

Alas, that was the hope. I think they left the pins in just to spite me.

I did think of that when I ordered exactly 30 lengths. It' will be interesting to see whether I get lots of 4 with pins then two extra, or 30 single tracks (with pins?)

55 minutes ago, Moz said:

It' will be interesting to see whether I get lots of 4 with pins then two extra, or 30 single tracks (with pins?)

This is a nice one! From the result, we can estimate how this is done and also test the math skills of the folks who pack them. Or the availability of coffee at the packing station, as @dr_spock already noticed :pir-wink:

Possible scenarios:

• You get 7 lots with 4 (pinned) segments each, and 2 single segments w/o pin: All awake, fully engaged, math skills 100%
  • You get 7 lots with 4 (pinned) segments each, and 2 single segments w pin: Almost awake, math skills 100%, low coffee level or a little lazy staff.
  • You get 6 lots with 4 (pinned) segments each, and 6 single segments w/o pin: There were pickers who just took out pins all day long and put the segments into a "single segments" bin, so that the packers provided math skills are up, can optimize the process. This is called "picky packy".
  • You get 6 lots with 4 (pinned) segments each, 2 single segments w pin, 4 single elements w/o pin: Uhmmm ...

Looking forward to what you actually get! From the above one can calculate how many (different) scenarios are possible, provided you can't tell the difference between each track segment.

Hmmm, exams are coming up - statistics among them ... :pir-skel:

:pir-huzzah2:
Best;
Thorsten