mcphatty

[MOD] Obi-Wan Kenobi's Jedi Starfighter 75333

I started modifying the new set straight away after the press images were published, hashing out some ideas in Studio. I was I inspired long ago by Mr_Idler's amazingly detailed and well proportioned Delta-7 and I've always wanted a little Jedi Starfighter on my shelf, this set presented the perfect opportunity. At first I added a lot of wedge plates to create complicated but fragile slopes around the cockpit, but after getting hold of the original set inventory and recreating it in Studio I managed to rebuild the ship with a lowered cockpit without using any extra pieces at all. Here is the complete mod along with an LED Kamino Landing Pad that I threw together, instructions are on Rebrickable.

MOD%2075333%20Obi-Wan%20Kenobis%20Jedi%2

I've lowered the cockpit area by 2 plates and added a layer to the nose which is now slightly more substantial looking and helps the cockit blend better into the ship. I've made some minor changes to the wings, R4 and the Republic crest are closer to the centre and I also moved the black inverted slopes to the edges of the wings in place of landing gear. The nose of the ship now sits a whole 3 plates lower when landed and the top of the cockpit is 5 plates lower. Rather than towering over the minifigures the ship looks much closer to scale. I've also rearranged the notched-wedge pieces from the tail to create the point over the cockpit canopy, which can't be hinged open but can still be easily removed.

The landing pad in the photo above is buildable but the circle shape is slightly illegal, putting the wedge plates under stress, and so the build is hard to pick up once assembled. It is however cheap, compact and compatible with the cheap USB LED kits on eBay consisting of a string of six 1x4 plates. The landing pad instructions  and Studio model (use this for parts list) are in a seperate zip file on my 75333 mod Rebrickable page.

And finally a few of the oringinal renders. Thanks and I hope you like the mod!

Edited by mcphatty
Updated with new photos and a new version

Very nice.  That looks so much better.  Because you made the instructions free and only used parts from the kit, I think this might be the only version of the kit I end up building.

Edited by icm

Very nicely done, love that it only uses parts from the set. I'll likely build your version once I get it, it does look much better for relatively small changes.

I assume these changes mean R4's body no longer fits in the ship?

Thanks guys! @TeddytheSpoon actually R4 does still fit inside! Her feet connect to the brackets that hold the centre section together, rather than the jumpers on the original set, so she's going to be harder to pull out but she's still safely stored away under the white wedge piece.

1280x960.jpg

Edited by mcphatty

I really like this update and its great to read that requires no additional parts but I love that Kamino style platform!

I was gonna pass on this set because it looked more like a 7B than a true Delta-7 and I'm still happy about my OG 2002 version, but after seeing your mod I'm really tempted to put it on the to buy list and never build the official version :D

@Per_SW I'm gonna do exactly that, straight to the mod, never done it before and it feels kind of naughty!

@scoiltreasa I've linked the Studio model file in the top post. It needs some work, theres some collisions I only spotted after doing the render and couldn't be bothered to fix, plus all the wedge plates are really expensive. I'll work on the pad and update, but feel free to grab the file and make it your own :)

Edited by mcphatty

I'm going to buy this set only to build your version!

P.S.
I love the joke about jettisoning the spare parts!

Edited by Staley

Here's my own modified set and landing pad. It's a great little set and the Taun We figure is really special, I'm very pleased with how the modification turned out too... and slightly relieved that it worked! Free instructions for the mod and landing pad are on my Rebrickable page... https://rebrickable.com/users/ron_mcphatty/mocs/

Edited by mcphatty

That landing pad looks gorgeous!

Anyway, I was surprised by how many spare parts I had when I finished your build, but I love how streamlined and sleek you've made it, and I find myself not having any issue with the gap between the wings and body, since solving that particular bit would require additional pieces and the main draw of this mod is that it uses just parts from the set -although I swapped the "new" studshooters for a couple of old one.

(Also it was weirdly fun going from the sealed box straight to the mod, checking the official instructions just to confirm the sticker numbers :D )

Again, kudos!

Edited by Per_SW

@Per_SW I did the same, I’ve never done it before and weirdly fun is exactly right! I may try to find a way to easily fit in some plates with rails to fill those gaps but I’m glad you liked the mod.

I built 75333 last night from your instructions, skipping the instructions in the box entirely. It is, I think, everything I have ever wanted a set of this particular vessel to be. Not as screen accurate as a MOC designed from scratch but accurate enough to satisfy me, not as small as it should be for strict 1s1f scale, but much smaller and lighter and sturdier than the 2002 model, and with this mod also quite noticeably smaller and lighter and sturdier than the 2018 model that was in yellow for Anakin. This is one of those sets that I've been wanting for nearly twenty years, so it was a must buy for me. Thanks again for the instructions!

6 hours ago, mcphatty said:

@Per_SW I did the same, I’ve never done it before and weirdly fun is exactly right! I may try to find a way to easily fit in some plates with rails to fill those gaps but I’m glad you liked the mod.

The rail-plates are exactly the "solution" I considered while nitpicking (because that's what I was doing) the finished build :D

Hi all. I've done a minor update to the mod to add a point to the tail overhanging the cockpit canopy. I still haven't used any extra pieces, just repurposed the notched-wedges behind the canopy and the yellow quarter tiles underneath the tail fin (such a shame they weren't white!). The new cockpit canopy can still be removed as it's connected under the white hinge plates by a jumper plate, it just can't be hinged open. I've also added new photos to the top post and updated the instructions for the mod on Rebrickable. Here's a couple of pictures to show the change...

Edited by mcphatty

The Delta-7 has always been one of my favorite Star Wars ships and the original version of this set was NOT to my taste at all, much much too tall and I just did not see it as an improvement over my old 2002 starfighter.

That said, your mod of the model fixes things incredibly, especially since you've done such significant fixes with only parts from the base kit. Because of your mod + free(!!!) instructions, I actually bought the set today and built it straight off the bat to your specifications. It's a really pleasant looking little starfighter now and I really appreciate it. Your model is without a doubt how it should have been designed out of the box.

Thanks for sharing!