The idea for this MOC came to me when opening and closing my window - it uses a similar mechanism.

The chain design took a few iterations to get right. The blue half pins on every second (light bluish grey) chain link are crucial to wedge the links together and make the chain rigid.

I hope you like it. 

800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg

800x379.jpg

7 hours ago, ord said:

I hope you like it. 

I love it! Actually, I love all your creations you have show here. LEGO at its very best.

This is one is fantastic!

All the best,
Thorsten

This is just mind-bending.... I watched the video three times, and still cannot believe it's real and it works. Amazing!

That's extremely interesting! Does it have real world applications? Did you invent the concept?

Could you coil the ends up more compactly, for an even more startling effect?

Edited by aeh5040

@aeh5040 I didn't invent the concept - I noticed it on the chain that opens my window, although on that mechanism both chains coil to the right hand side (this wasn't really practical with Lego). Aside from that, I've read that they're used in industrial machines where space is at a premium, for example in scissor lifts.

Yeah, a spiral coil or something could look nice :). I guess I was just going for a low profile... And it was a bit tricky finding the right curved pieces to guide the chain. 

very nice chain :thumbup:

7 minutes ago, ord said:

for example in scissor lifts.

that could be interesting to build

8 minutes ago, ord said:

noticed it on the chain that opens my window

I also thought about building a mechanism from my window but never carried through with it

Wow, nice thing! I had an idea of a semi-rigid chain, which is a "normal chain" made of a rectangle or elliptic pieces. A normal chain when extended but when "compressed" the sections hold each other and act as a single rigid rod. So, you may push something with this chain as with a kind of linear actuator but when you pull it, it will work as a flexible rope.

The only disadvantage is that the "sections" are really huge so far...

2 hours ago, Jayden said:

very nice chain :thumbup:

:classic::thumbup:

1 hour ago, Void_S said:

A normal chain when extended but when "compressed" the sections hold each other and act as a single rigid rod. 

That's an interesting concept, I hope you can share it here for us to see :thumbup:.

Reminds me of this (although the effect is achieved in a completely different way, also very clever):

Edited by aeh5040

That is indeed very clever. Reminds me of this :tongue: (same principle as mine but 3D printed):