MontyMatte

[LEGOIdeas] Willow - Battle of Tir Asleen

[Update]

Ladies & Madmartigans,

the Willow project on LEGOIdeas has recently been updated & reached almost 9.5k votes. You can find some pics of the upfate below this text & some more Willow creations in the
in the comments. I'd also like to take this opportunity to say thanks for your great support and also as a last call. A vote for a goat! Link: Willow on LEGOIdeas

Sincerley, Toni aka MM

Willow 01 Main LegoIdeas (Logo)

Willow 07 BackV3 LEGOIdeas (Logo)

Willow 02 Back LEGOIdeas (Logo)

Willow 03 Minifigs (heroes) LEGOIdeas (Logo)

Willow 04 Minifigs (villains) LEGOIdeas (Logo)

Willow 05 Eberisk LEGOIdeas (Logo)

[Original Post]

Dear Eurobricks community,

as you are the biggest LEGO forum, I would like to "officially" present my current creation to you and release it for discussion.

Briefly about me: I am a 36 years old German AFOL and fan of classic fantasy and sci-fi, from. I particularly like the castle (including LOTR) and pirates theme, but I also enjoy many other sets.

About my creation: As a child of the 80's I grew up with classic fantasy movies and also the mentioned LEGO themes. So I wanted to build a creation that reflects both. This is the castle "Tir Asleen" from the movie Willow from 1988. Maybe some of you know the original or the trailer for the new series. Val Kilmer as Madmartigan is iconic to me personally.

I wanted to build something that was more detailed than usual released sets - but a little less MOC-alike than possible. The idea was to add it to my fantasy film collection, but also let my little stepson play with it. Therefore, some game functions are also built in. I hope they are well represented in the pictures. But details from the film should not be underrepresented either.

[deleted]

[deleted]

What do you think about the creation? - What do you like, what not? Where can I still improve something?

Do you know the original movie? Do you recognize scenes? Which ones have I not sufficiently considered?

BTW, there is also a small Easter Egg for all castle fans ;)

The project is also posted on Ideas. This isn't meant to be a call, but I don't blame anyone who supports it secretly ;) https://ideas.lego.com/s/p:2083518f81ae404c88198126c5ad7868

I look forward to your feedback and thank you for your attention.

Sincerely

Tobi aka. MontyMatte

More pics:

also on flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/195027856@N06/albums/72177720299713109

[deleted]

Figs

[deleted]

Action & functions

[deleted]

Edited by MontyMatte
Update

I remember watching it as a child, the troll scene on the bridge, man that was scary. 

Great movie and very lovely build. You have my support on LEGO Ideas :pir-thumb:

Love it! I’ll have to spend some more time with the pics, but I haven’t found the Easter egg yet. 

Oooh, well done. Great detail work all around on Tir Asleen. And yes, welcome to Eurobricks.

17 hours ago, Marooned Marin said:

I remember watching it as a child, the troll scene on the bridge, man that was scary. 

Great movie and very lovely build. You have my support on LEGO Ideas :pir-thumb:

I watched it as a kid too. I think I was 5 or 6. Much too young actually. Anyway, we're showing it to my little bro (stepson, 6y) right now. He's fascinated. How old were you?

Thanks for the praise and support. I'm glad you like it. But if you have something to improve... You're welcome :)

---

Sincerely, Tobi aka MM
Insta - FBIdeas

17 hours ago, Triceron said:

That's a fun size Eborsisk, I like it!

Hi Triceron. I'd be glad you like it.
I supposed if I made it too big people would get scared ;) Like Marooned Marin said...

Anything else you like or unlike?
Do you know/like/love the movie?

---

Sincerely, Tobi aka MM
Insta - FBIdeas

Edited by MontyMatte
Socials

17 hours ago, SerenityInFire said:

Welcome to the forum!  Your build of Tir Asleen is exceptional.

Hi Serenity

thank you for praising my creation. Makes me happy :)
Is there anything what you particulary like?

BTW...Cool gatehouse :)

---

Sincerely, Tobi aka MM
Insta - FBIdeas

14 hours ago, SirBlake said:

Love it! I’ll have to spend some more time with the pics, but I haven’t found the Easter egg yet. 

Hello SirBlake. Greetings to Texas :)
I'm glad you like it. Thanks for that. I have to admit it's extremely hard to spot it from the pictures above. But an Easter egg is an Easter Egg. ;)
Perhaps try flickr because of the higher solution.

Pls tell me if you could find it.

---

Sincerely, Tobi aka MM
Insta - FBIdeas

57 minutes ago, Feuer Zug said:

Oooh, well done. Great detail work all around on Tir Asleen. And yes, welcome to Eurobricks.

Hello Feuer Zug.

Thank you for being welcomed here. And also for praising my creation.

Anything I could improve in your opinion?

BTW: Why this german nickname?

---

Sincerely, Tobi aka MM
Insta - FBIdeas

Edited by MontyMatte

20 minutes ago, MontyMatte said:

Hello Feuer Zug.

Thank you for being welcomed here. And also for praising my creation.

Anything I could improve in your opinion?

BTW: Why this german nickname?

Nothing jumps out to me that would improve your rendition of Tir Asleen. The detail level is about perfect.

I may live in the United States now, but I resided in the NRW near Aachen when I joined Eurobricks. I like trains and had been on the local freiwillige feuerwehr. I put them together and thus my handle here.

38 minutes ago, MontyMatte said:

Hi Serenity

thank you for praising my creation. Makes me happy :)
Is there anything what you particulary like?

BTW...Cool gatehouse :)

I think the whole thing is just absolutely awesome.  From the main build, to the choice of minifigure parts and the monster, it's just very well done.  

And thanks for checking out my MOCs!

4 hours ago, MontyMatte said:

Hi Triceron. I'd be glad you like it.
I supposed if I made it too big people would get scared ;) Like Marooned Marin said...

Anything else you like or unlike?
Do you know/like/love the movie?

---

Sincerely, Tobi aka MM
Insta - FBIdeas

I have fond memories of the movie, I really enjoyed it when I was a kid.

I'm more of a minifigure guy, and I think the General could use a better skull or helmet.

The new Ninjago skulls might work, and they have helmets that might fit the look better

https://img.joomcdn.net/29a8166964f46d320aa596cf60e75f734a222934_original.jpeg

LEGO-Ninjago-71722-Skull-Sorcerers-Dunge

This is from Ninjago Skull Sorcerers Dragon

Edited by Triceron

15 hours ago, Triceron said:

I have fond memories of the movie, I really enjoyed it when I was a kid.

I'm more of a minifigure guy, and I think the General could use a better skull or helmet.

The new Ninjago skulls might work, and they have helmets that might fit the look better

https://img.joomcdn.net/29a8166964f46d320aa596cf60e75f734a222934_original.jpeg

LEGO-Ninjago-71722-Skull-Sorcerers-Dunge

This is from Ninjago Skull Sorcerers Dragon

I'm glad you recognized something :)

In fact, I'm not entirely satisfied with the general. Thanks for your tip.
Are these new heads? That helmets fit there might also help.

I had a similar head at home but wasn't happy with it. do you have a number for me I hope they are also available at stud.io.

Thank you for your help and feedback.

19 hours ago, SerenityInFire said:

I think the whole thing is just absolutely awesome.  From the main build, to the choice of minifigure parts and the monster, it's just very well done.  

And thanks for checking out my MOCs!

You're welcome. And thanks a lot for double praising :D

19 hours ago, Feuer Zug said:

Nothing jumps out to me that would improve your rendition of Tir Asleen. The detail level is about perfect.

I may live in the United States now, but I resided in the NRW near Aachen when I joined Eurobricks. I like trains and had been on the local freiwillige feuerwehr. I put them together and thus my handle here.

Thanks again :)
I've asked because I am from Germany so I'd like to leave some Grüße aus Niedersachen :)

6 hours ago, MontyMatte said:

I'm glad you recognized something :)

In fact, I'm not entirely satisfied with the general. Thanks for your tip.
Are these new heads? That helmets fit there might also help.

I had a similar head at home but wasn't happy with it. do you have a number for me I hope they are also available at stud.io.

43693pb04

There's only 2 sets it comes from, so it is a bit of a rare find.  It came out last year, so it is a very new skull.

On 6/13/2022 at 2:47 PM, MontyMatte said:

But if you have something to improve... You're welcome :)

I think you nailed it pretty good. Other than Ninjago head already mentioned to you, I can't find single thing which could be improved.

Good luck :pir-thumb:

On 6/14/2022 at 5:49 PM, Triceron said:

43693pb04

There's only 2 sets it comes from, so it is a bit of a rare find.  It came out last year, so it is a very new skull.

Thanks again. I've ordered this head to make a try. Do you have any suggestion for the helmet too? 

Unfortunately the head isn't in stud.io as displayed 😕

Edited by MontyMatte

On 6/15/2022 at 9:15 PM, Marooned Marin said:

I think you nailed it pretty good. Other than Ninjago head already mentioned to you, I can't find single thing which could be improved.

Good luck :pir-thumb:

I'm honored. Thanks MM!

On 6/16/2022 at 2:56 PM, MontyMatte said:

Thanks again. I've ordered this head to make a try. Do you have any suggestion for the helmet too? 

Unfortunately the head isn't in stud.io as displayed 😕

I checked my own figure, and it doesn't seem like a lot of helmets fit very well.  The Ninjago Samurai-style helmets are the best bet really, namely this one

98128.png

I tried the other style helmets, but they don't fit as well on the weird shape skull.

I also was thinking about the Trolls and I think the Costume Ape minifig might work for them.  Just replace the torso with something furrier looking.

lego-gorilla-suit-guy-minifigure-28.jpg

Maybe with this Torso:

s-l500.jpg

Just a shame there is no small Acorn piece.

Edited by Triceron

On 6/23/2022 at 6:48 PM, Triceron said:

I checked my own figure, and it doesn't seem like a lot of helmets fit very well.  The Ninjago Samurai-style helmets are the best bet really, namely this one

98128.png

I tried the other style helmets, but they don't fit as well on the weird shape skull.

I also was thinking about the Trolls and I think the Costume Ape minifig might work for them.  Just replace the torso with something furrier looking.

lego-gorilla-suit-guy-minifigure-28.jpg

Maybe with this Torso:

s-l500.jpg

Just a shame there is no small Acorn piece.

Thank you for your efforts. I really appreciate that.

Now I have the helmet at home. Unfortunately I'm not that happy with the result. I have to think of a samurai every time. We (or I) must think of something else. Maybe misuse parts.
I'll think about the troll again later. Thanks for pointing that out too :)

In my creation there is a printed acorn tile. Did you see that?