Aerolight

RC object 279 + autoloader + autocannon

Finally after lots of procrastination my second video and as promised the object 279 - which coincidently has just been returned to running condition IRL.

No talk through this time, so probably requires some expiation; 

The tank struggles to turn on grass - the whole frame twists and the track will skip on the sprockets

The only modified pieces are; the rounds are cutdown, the gear tracks in the rigid chain round pusher have cut corners to allow for a hinge and 2 beams have a slit to allow for a 24 tooth gear (track drive)

This might be one of most realistic carousel autoloader in the world as the rounds are fired by the springs in the cases.

The autocannon could use a slope to trigger the rounds but is less accurate than a separate movement strait up - also easy recoil mechanism

As the round pickup arm pivots at the same point as the barrel, when off the tank the carousel autoloader can load and fire at over 90 degrees of depression

The plane will probably be the next but I just finished the most realistic Lego manual gearbox ever - with multiple width custom gears, correct engagement, pedal operated realistic clutch and transmission brake (5+r).

Edited by Aerolight
Add vid

Love how it jumped those bushes! Speed and power at the same time, and a very nice designed suspension!

It's really cool to see both the way it rides and the way it fires! Can you give more details about the loading / firing mechanism? I don't quite get what you are trying to show on the video when you are adjusting all those knobs, and the description does not answer that either..

That is how the rounds are fed ;

selected from the carousel by arm

lifted behind the breach by arm

rigid chain rams the round into battery and the breach closes 

carousel is then rotated to next round

arm goes back down to collect next round (this also fires the round in the barrel)

the breach is then opened ejecting the spent case 

Sorry if the clips where confusing I should have taken more angles.

I was unable to find any information on the 130mm main Gun on the Obj. 279 being fed by an autoloader. Can you help me out there? I was under the impression the Obj 279 project was cancelled a few years before the sowjet medium Tanks (T64 and newer?) were fitted with an autoloader like this. The only mention of an autoloader I could locate was linked to war thunder...

It is a hypothetical tank - although I think I read somewhere that an semi/autoloader was going to be considered for serial production so the loader could be dropped to account for the lack of internal space.

I think the real tank did have a small bustle arrangement for a small number of projectiles to help with fast loading - why some people say it has a semi automatic loader but its just a small assistance feature.