SilverBubble

New ties incoming? (a theory)

According to recent lego news, one of the sets that will face price increases is the lego tie fighter (75300).  This almost certainly means that the set will most certainly not retire this year.  Given this, and next year being the 20th year anniversary of the tie bomber, do y'all think we might see remakes of a least one imperial tie next year at minifig scale.  After all in 2021, we saw in the lego magazine comic a lego tie bomber, from this we can gather at the very least they have an existing model of the tie bomber in the modern standard.  Next, the tie bomber did appear in Mandalorian as well.  As for other ties such as the tie reaper and tie interceptor, given that it seems lego is starting to make fallen order sets, those would be good sets to make given the 2nd sister flies a tie interceptor and the 9th sister flies a tie reaper.  What do y'all think about these various pieces of information?  Could it mean we finally get modern remakes of the old tie variants in 2003-2006?  Rebel fighters like the y wing, b wing, and a wing got multiple remakes in this long period, is it possibly time for the other TIEs to get some love?  EDIT: another cool tie that should be made into a set is the TIE defender, I suspect it may appear in the upcoming Ahsoka show, given Thrawn was set up in the Mandalorian to be the Ahsoka show's villain

Edited by SilverBubble

1 hour ago, SilverBubble said:

According to recent lego news, one of the sets that will face price increases is the lego tie fighter (75300).  This almost certainly means that the set will most certainly not retire this year.  Given this, and next year being the 20th year anniversary of the tie bomber, do y'all think we might see remakes of a least one imperial tie next year at minifig scale.  After all in 2021, we saw in the lego magazine comic a lego tie bomber, from this we can gather at the very least they have an existing model of the tie bomber in the modern standard.  Next, the tie bomber did appear in Mandalorian as well.  As for other ties such as the tie reaper and tie interceptor, given that it seems lego is starting to make fallen order sets, those would be good sets to make given the 2nd sister flies a tie interceptor and the 9th sister flies a tie reaper.  What do y'all think about these various pieces of information?  Could it mean we finally get modern remakes of the old tie variants in 2003-2006?  Rebel fighters like the y wing, b wing, and a wing got multiple remakes in this long period, is it possibly time for the other TIEs to get some love?  EDIT: another cool tie that should be made into a set is the TIE defender, I suspect it may appear in the upcoming Ahsoka show, given Thrawn was set up in the Mandalorian to be the Ahsoka show's villain

The TIE Bomber in Mandalorian was just a single scene - I'd not draw too much off that.

That said - would be neat to see some UCS variations - there's not been much to really admire frankly.

As for the TIE Defender - the one they have is - frankly - garbage.

Which is why I really wanted my own UCS Version (which I did build - look at my signature for it) - hopefully if Lego decides to do one - they better do a damn good job of it.

I'd not mind seeing some TIE's show up - but I'm not holding my breath. Speculation is speculation.

Maybe a refresh of the TIE Interceptor wouldn't be so bad.

If I recall correctly, part of Thrawn's story in Rebels was that TIE Defender production was shut down in favour of the Death Star, so if Thrawn is in it I doubt they'd pop up in Ahsoka which is set much further down the line (thought not out of the question, of course). Equally we don't even know if Thrawn is still aligned with the Empire at that point, his ultimate allegiance is to the Chiss Ascendancy.

It's all pure speculation at this point but a new interceptor would certainly be welcome. Unlike the bomber I imagine it could be done at a similar price point to a regular TIE fighter.

No OT set has had a longer time since a redo than Tie Bomber (2003) and Tie Interceptor (2006). 

Unless you include the tiny lift/walkway depicted in one of the Final Duel sets. 

8 hours ago, Kage Goomba said:

The TIE Bomber in Mandalorian was just a single scene - I'd not draw too much off that.

That said - would be neat to see some UCS variations - there's not been much to really admire frankly.

Which is why I really wanted my own UCS Version (which I did build - look at my signature for it) - hopefully if Lego decides to do one - they better do a damn good job of it.

I'd not mind seeing some TIE's show up - but I'm not holding my breath. Speculation is speculation.

So, I am mainly thinking of minifig scale, I mean the tie bomber is more prominent than the resistance y-wing and quadjumper (given how there was a lack of demand for sequel merchandise overall, I hope this draws Lego to make more OT and prequel sets as well as sets from the show).  I think it would be nice for minifig scale fans to be able to build comprehensive tie squadrons, those who mainly collect rebel sets are able to do that.

7 hours ago, TeddytheSpoon said:

If I recall correctly, part of Thrawn's story in Rebels was that TIE Defender production was shut down in favour of the Death Star, so if Thrawn is in it I doubt they'd pop up in Ahsoka which is set much further down the line (thought not out of the question, of course). Equally we don't even know if Thrawn is still aligned with the Empire at that point, his ultimate allegiance is to the Chiss Ascendancy.

It's all pure speculation at this point but a new interceptor would certainly be welcome. Unlike the bomber I imagine it could be done at a similar price point to a regular TIE fighter.

Regarding Thrawn, we see in Mandalorian that Governor Elsbeth as well as the soldiers of Calodan utilize the imperial thrawn chimaera symbol.  Given the Empire is operating in remnants, it would be nice to see a minifig scale tie defender if we do indeed see it in the show.  After all, Thrawn, as a high-ranking prominent officer, most likely would be in charge of his own remnant.  Besides him and Ezra, a lot of his crew was still alive when the stupid space whales did a hyperspace jump.

Regarding the bomber, what leads me to believe they would at least try to make a minifig scale one is back in 2020, one of their cited reasons was price due to piece count (their other reason was it was too obscure, but that seemes more like an excuse than a reason, as they admit the demand for a minifig scale remake).  However I believe 2021's version of the tie fighter (at a much smaller scale) is a conscious effort  to make it feasible to make a minifig scale tie bomber.  We see from custom sets like republicbricks tie bombers which is more or less in the same scale as the 2021 tie fighter, it is possible to make one at around 500 pieces now rather than 900-1000.  Granted, according to the Mandrproductions review of it, it sucked and lacked a functional bomb dropping feature, however given the expertise of Lego's design team, I estimate the design, which looks relatively to scale can have better stability and a proper bomb bay with a maximum additional 200 pieces, given that most exterior detailing is there, in other words at the 2021 tie fighter's scale, it is possible to make a tie bomber at $70 or less.  Here is the mandr review (the only review i could find of that tie bomber custom set) for context:

6 hours ago, Seaber said:

No OT set has had a longer time since a redo than Tie Bomber (2003) and Tie Interceptor (2006). 

Unless you include the tiny lift/walkway depicted in one of the Final Duel sets. 

While I do hope for a new tie interceptor as well in Imperial form, I think a tie bomber would come first, given major vonreg's tie interceptor only retired recently.  Perhaps  at the beginning of 2023 we have a bomber and later we have an interceptor (hopefully with fallen order minifigs)

Edited by SilverBubble

On 6/9/2022 at 10:17 AM, Kage Goomba said:

*cough* 75178 *cough*

2 minutes ago, m4st3rt3ch said:

*cough* 75178 *cough*

yeah yeah yeah......but its not really that good...lol

Not awake yet - and that's not a TIE Fighter :P - not sure what that is really lol.

My TIE/d has me very spoiled/snobbish.

Edited by Kage Goomba

3 minutes ago, Kage Goomba said:

yeah yeah yeah......but its not really that good...lol

Not awake yet - and that's not a TIE Fighter :P - not sure what that is really lol.

My TIE/d has me very spoiled/snobbish.

It's because 75178 is the quadjumper, it appeared for less than a scene in force awakens (rey and finn run toward it but it is blown up right away, in other words we never even saw it fly), yet was still made into a set

1 minute ago, SilverBubble said:

It's because 75178 is the quadjumper, it appeared for less than a scene in force awakens (rey and finn run toward it but it is blown up right away, in other words we never even saw it fly), yet was still made into a set

No wonder I couldn't remember that lmao

But to be fair - TIE Bomber is very recognizable.

Just now, Kage Goomba said:

No wonder I couldn't remember that lmao

But to be fair - TIE Bomber is very recognizable.

exactly, im sure m4stert3ch's point is that lego's claim in 2020 that it was a niche vehicle is BS, given that they made the lame quadjumper into a set, but not remake a more recognizable and cool vehicle, the tie bomber

My point is solely the "you blinked, you missed. Here have a set of it". My understanding is, that LEGO sometimes has no say and has to obey the guys with the license.

But i would LOVE a TIE Bomber. Or a Brute. Or both. Because TIE is love, TIE is life.

26 minutes ago, m4st3rt3ch said:

My point is solely the "you blinked, you missed. Here have a set of it". My understanding is, that LEGO sometimes has no say and has to obey the guys with the license.

But i would LOVE a TIE Bomber. Or a Brute. Or both. Because TIE is love, TIE is life.

that would be nice, a tie brute looks cool as well, but it only appeared in solo, and it doesn't seem lego makes any sets of the standalone films after the film is released.  Regarding the tie bomber at least, I believe lego has some say, as you can read the tie bomber section here, https://brickset.com/article/52610/interview-with-star-wars-designers-75288-at-at-and-ucs-poll, you can see that they cited internal reasons like cost and popularity vs. external reasons.  Maybe they don't want to talk bad about Disney, but if such were the case where Disney is preventing them from making a tie bomber, they would have prolly said we chose to focus on sets featuring newer vehicles or something along those lines.  Regarding the tie brute, though cool, it can be argued that that is obscure and niche given that it was only in one scene in solo and didnt even fire its giant cannons.  Nevertheless, it would be interesting to have a double-pod tie with a pilot in one pod and a gunner in the other

I think the TIE bomber is more than viable as a set, not just for how iconic it is from Empire, or because of its brief appearance in mando, but because it's had such a presence in other external media. Rebels, for instance, though many will recognize it from the battlefront games (old and new) and some from squadrons, which was admittedly less popular than those. Its constant presence across games and television I think are more than enough to make another set for it. Same applies for the interceptor, and even the defender to an extent since it featured very prominently in rebels as well as the aforementioned games (albeit far less significantly). If we can have 3 B-Wing playsets and a UCS one, there's no excuse for only having one TIE Bomber and two TIE interceptors.

3 hours ago, AIex said:

I think the TIE bomber is more than viable as a set, not just for how iconic it is from Empire, or because of its brief appearance in mando, but because it's had such a presence in other external media. Rebels, for instance, though many will recognize it from the battlefront games (old and new) and some from squadrons, which was admittedly less popular than those. Its constant presence across games and television I think are more than enough to make another set for it. Same applies for the interceptor, and even the defender to an extent since it featured very prominently in rebels as well as the aforementioned games (albeit far less significantly). If we can have 3 B-Wing playsets and a UCS one, there's no excuse for only having one TIE Bomber and two TIE interceptors.

Not to mention many y-wings in that 2 decades of time.  I do hope any remakes are in minifig scale, as the tie bomber is a set with great playability potential (much like the y-wing).  Also not to mention one of the tie interceptors was from the resistance show which very few people, kids and adults alike, have watched.  As an imperial collector myself, it would make a fine addition in my collection.  To draw back to the originally mentioned brickset article, the lego designer they interviewed cited cost.  But this was before 2021 where they were scaling down the xwing and tie fighter once again (to scale a tie would be super expensive as its wings are way larger than made in any set).  Given this scaledown to reduce price as well as the tie seemingly lasting till 2023, given that it will face a price increase, I hope the reason why they make the tie last long is because they intend on releasing other variants to accompany it.

On 6/11/2022 at 10:00 AM, AIex said:

a late update but im glad promobrickds said it will come again in january 2023, after 20 years, a new tie bomber

On 6/9/2022 at 4:17 AM, Kage Goomba said:

Literally there is no signature, i wanted to go look at the MOC you said you had done.

1 hour ago, natesroom said:

Literally there is no signature, i wanted to go look at the MOC you said you had done.

It's there and definitely worth checking out, are you browsing with your phone? I have to turn my phone sideways, for sigs to show up.

No there is no sig displayed. However i went to his activity and went and read the whole thread of his issues with the PDF and the communities help with retro designing the whole thing. I am smarter for having read it but i'm actually dumber now as to what legos can actually do lol. That was some high level structural builds.

1 hour ago, natesroom said:

No there is no sig displayed. However i went to his activity and went and read the whole thread of his issues with the PDF and the communities help with retro designing the whole thing. I am smarter for having read it but i'm actually dumber now as to what legos can actually do lol. That was some high level structural builds.

As and ye shall receive ->

Its basically done - just need QA/clean up - I have it proudly on display in my room. :)

EDIT: course I just woke up and now realized you found it.

But yeah - this project was the project from "Hell"

2000 USD later - felt like I went to college and came out with a BS in Lego Engineering.

I have yet to find a TIE/d that even comes close to the detail and design of this thing.

And I owe it  to a few individuals who where nice enough to solve some nasty puzzles.

Need to get it cleaned up and published. I'm thinking of submitting it to Lego for review as anyone who see's it - goes slack jawed lol.

Edited by Kage Goomba