evancelt

New LEGO Pirates Discord Server

Hello, maties!

@Spud The Viking and I have made a Lego Pirates Discord server. Not to take away from these Forums, but to have a more relaxed and informal way for chatting and showing MOCs and inspiration etc.

If you'd be interested, even just to join and see, use this link.

Hope to see you there! :pir-huzzah2:

7 hours ago, evancelt said:

but to have a more relaxed and informal way for chatting and showing MOCs and inspiration etc.

And the forums aren't relaxed?

2 hours ago, Mister Phes said:

And the forums aren't relaxed?

Conversations flow easier on Discord, I feel. You're not having to post a reply but send a message as you would in a group chat :pir-classic:

I am hopeful the discord can help generate traffic for the forums. There are many folks I've spoken to who will never create EB accounts because forums seem outdated to them, but they are present on Discord. Hoping we can still drive (guest) traffic to EB!

:pir-huzzah2: Discord is a fun medium for casual chatting - I'm glad that it was created and hope it turns into another great tool for for the LEGO Pirates community.

9 hours ago, evancelt said:

There are many folks I've spoken to who will never create EB accounts because forums seem outdated to them.

Yes, social media has encouraged people to write shorter, less detailed messages.

It would be great if we could get their feedback on how they think forums could be modernised, or more appealing.

9 hours ago, evancelt said:

I am hopeful the discord can help generate traffic for the forums

Do you have a strategy for doing so?

14 hours ago, Mister Phes said:

Do you have a strategy for doing so?

Perhaps rather than linking to Flickr/Instagram for builds we link to EB?

Cool, I just joined it, as I already use Discord for other stuff anyway. :pirate:

3 hours ago, evancelt said:

Perhaps rather than linking to Flickr/Instagram for builds we link to EB?

That would be an immense help for Eurobricks rather than send yet more traffic to the monopolistic platforms.

An interesting idea, hope it works out! :pir-thumb:

I meself will not join it, I prefer more traditional methods when it comes to communicating on internet. :pir-grin:

On 6/14/2022 at 4:17 PM, Jack Sassy said:

An interesting idea, hope it works out! :pir-thumb:

I meself will not join it, I prefer more traditional methods when it comes to communicating on internet. :pir-grin:

I agree. EB forums are nostalgic for me. Too many memories here to replace it with something new.

6 minutes ago, madjelly said:

Is the Discord up? I was trying to join but the link posted in June said the the invite was invalid.

It is! Here is a NEW INVITE LINK.

That sounds like maybe its a DNS issue with your ISP. Have you tried in a different browser or internet connection?

12 hours ago, Pirate_King_1982 said:

Hi the message I get is “Safari cannot open the page because the address is invalid”.

What you can do, is to just go to the website from Discord ( https://discord.com/ )

Log-in there, and at the bottom of your "server list" (the circles on the left), there should be a large green + icon, if you click on that, just add the server code ( AKPnSrUB ) and it should add you to the server too! 

This way, you don't use the invite link directly, as a server code is essentially just the last letters/numbers after the direct discord invite. But instead you're going via discord itself, meaning you don't need to a "direct invite link".

Either way, if that doesn't work, you'll probably want to try a different browser. ^^

I tried to join, but it tells me the server is not available. Would it be possible to have an updated link, please?