sdrnet

[MOC] Lupin III - The Castle of Cagliostro

MOC freely inspired by the feature film "Lupin III and the Castle of Cagliostro", a masterpiece and first feature film by the well-known director Hayao Miyazaki.

52129191641_e34c3f552e_c.jpg

In Japan the film was not initially successful, the romantic version of the gentleman thief was not liked even by its creator Monkey Punch. As for the TV series, however, over time, "Lupin III - The Castle of Cagliostro", will be recognized as the first masterpiece by Hayao Miyazaki, becoming a cult for entire generations, so much so that it is constantly republished for the home video market. This film will definitely launch Miyazaki's career bringing him ever closer to realizing his goal: the founding of Studio Ghibli.

Film released in 1979 in Japan and only in 1984 in Italy, marked my childhood, in fact I was 10 years old, I loved the Lupin III cartoons but this film left me fascinated by that aura of mystery, adventure scenes and fantastic scenary. Today, more than 40 years after his birth, I decided to pay tribute to him by creating a very complex and demanding MOC in various respects. Making the Castle in minifigure scale was practically impossible, but even the micro-scale would have been a risky undertaking but ... once again I decided to test myself and above all ... have fun!
The moc rests on two 48x48 stud baseplates, everything is done in microscale based on the images of the film. The Castle reports some fairly faithful sections while others have been invented such as the east side of the castle which is never seen in the entire duration of the film. I wanted to bring back the basics as seen in this image:

Copertina_Castello_Cagliostro.jpg

I have reproduced the most important things for a complete scenario: the castle in its entirety, the section of the village on the back, the iconic aqueduct and the clock tower with the walls of the ancient castle. Studying this whole setting was as difficult as it was rewarding. But I wasn't happy like that ... I also wanted to make moving parts!
And that's why I invented a mechanism that moves the following things:
1) the windmill on the front
2) the motorized aircraft that the Count uses to enter the Castle or Lupin to escape
3) an intermittent light that turns on in the rear entrance of the castle
4) the tilting corridor that connects the castle to the prison tower
5) the hands of the clock tower

All these functions are connected to each other and therefore with a single lever they are operated simultaneously!
In the next few days I will make a video presentation of the moving parts.

The castle can be divided into several blocks and the base can also be divided in two, for easy transport.
The realization of this work took me more than 5 months of work and has about 8700 pieces.
On the base alone, there are almost 1500 tiles 1x2 trans light-blue!

I believed it a lot, I hope you like it!
Sandro

Flickr Gallery:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/sdrnet/albums/72177720299613644

52128170012_fe2dce129c_c.jpg

52129432179_2ddaaa8cf5_b.jpg

52129688380_1dd9b29eda_b.jpg

52129688440_4b39d93dc5_c.jpg

52128170327_f1a83d62be_c.jpg

52128170432_2c95d55efb_c.jpg

52128170187_7b7d9ed96f_c.jpg

Comments are welcome!

Wow, I'm usually not a fan of the micro build style but with all those details and functions you put in, I can't help but like this build very much.

It helps a little that I have a weak spot for Manga and Anime and you captured the original vibes perfectly while adding a lot of extra texture and life to it in the form of Lego elements.

Plus I didn't know this show/movie yet ,shame on me but it's a little before my time hehe, so I have something to watch(whenever I get to free up some time)

Do the hands on every side of the clock tower move simultaneously? Don't answer, I'll wait for the viddy:moar:

Stunning! No word to explain how much I love it. This Castle hit my imagination since I was a child. I want it!

Superb recreation of the Castle of Cagliostro. I know it would be too much asking for the lake to be drained to find the treasure. Still, all the details you crammed into this micro scale build are phenomenal. The forced perspective with the town, looking from the clock tower is great. You even managed to put in an auto-gyro!

Thank you all for the comments and for your compliments!
It is a work that marked my childhood and I believed a lot in building it. It was really challenging.
As soon as I can with time I will also insert the demonstration video of the movements.

Hello Sandro ...this scale is not a favorite of mine, but this work could not be represented differently. :classic:
The result is splendid and I do justice to the long bridge (beautiful Roman ruins under the surface of the water)! :thumbup:
I've seen the movie and Lupine th 3rd is always great!  :pir-huzzah2:

On 6/11/2022 at 8:13 AM, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

Hello Sandro ...this scale is not a favorite of mine, but this work could not be represented differently. :classic:
The result is splendid and I do justice to the long bridge (beautiful Roman ruins under the surface of the water)! :thumbup:
I've seen the movie and Lupine th 3rd is always great!  :pir-huzzah2:

Thank's my friend. The staircase was actually very difficult to make and I had to be inspired only by the images from the film. Thank you for your comments!

19 hours ago, MontyMatte said:

Hi @sdrnet

I'm just here to say...This is awesome!
Well done. I've also enjoyed (and followed) your flickr account. :)

Thanks for the compliments and for your visit on my Flickr profile!

I uploaded the presentation video of the Castle which also shows all the moving parts. Good vision!

Edited by sdrnet