Rubblemaker

[MOC] Classic Space - Goliath

Following on from my Manta Ray, here is the second build in my armada of creature-themed Neo Classic Spacecraft. This is Goliath. Originally a Blacktron vehicle (hence the black legs, Benny hasn’t gotten around to painting them yet) Goliath was found abandoned on a desolate moon. Now it is the go-to mech used by the NCS crew when a planet is just too hostile to land on, Goliath can climbs trees, mountains and pretty much anything else in it's way.

Goliath full album: https://www.flickr.com/photos/164260086@N06/albums/72177720299512343
Manta Ray: https://www.flickr.com/photos/164260086@N06/albums/72177720299046185
Come find me on Instagram: @rubblemaker_lego.

Thanks for looking.

800x800.jpg

800x800.jpg

800x800.jpg

800x800.jpg

800x800.jpg

Edited by Rubblemaker

Your first MOC was good. This is creepy from the front, but almost comical to me in back. As a classic space mechanical spider with hints of classic Blacktron, it gives the wrong vibe to me. Maybe swap out the black and yellow on the legs for more thematic colors? Great use of a Death Star.

1 hour ago, Feuer Zug said:

Your first MOC was good. This is creepy from the front, but almost comical to me in back. As a classic space mechanical spider with hints of classic Blacktron, it gives the wrong vibe to me. Maybe swap out the black and yellow on the legs for more thematic colors? Great use of a Death Star.

That doesn’t make any sense. You said the back looks comical to you and gives the wrong vibe but then go on to say it’s a great use of the Death Star… 

As for the legs, I had 8 of the black long curve pieces in my parts collection and zero blue or grey versions so.. rather than pay for yet more pieces (I have thousands as it is) or wait ages for a bricklink order to arrive, I thought I’d use the black. I think it looks far more menacing with black as the legs to be honest, if they were bright blue or bley then it really would look quite comical imo.

3 minutes ago, Rubblemaker said:

That doesn’t make any sense. You said the back looks comical to you and gives the wrong vibe but then go on to say it’s a great use of the Death Star… 

As for the legs, I had 8 of the black long curve pieces in my parts collection and zero blue or grey versions so.. rather than pay for yet more pieces (I have thousands as it is) or wait ages for a bricklink order to arrive, I thought I’d use the black. I think it looks far more menacing with black as the legs to be honest, if they were bright blue or bley then it really would look quite comical imo.

I like the design and how you used the Death Star at the rear of your Goliath mechanized spider. With the additional greebling, the back does appear comical to me. I almost expect to see gouts of flame from the exhaust system.

Overall though, the mix of the black with classic space is what gives me the wrong impression. I completely understand not having the long curved pieces in the right color and substituting for what you have on hand. The black does look menacing from the front as I mentioned. Great work on this. My only complaint was with the leg color.

40 minutes ago, Feuer Zug said:

I like the design and how you used the Death Star at the rear of your Goliath mechanized spider. With the additional greebling, the back does appear comical to me. I almost expect to see gouts of flame from the exhaust system.

Overall though, the mix of the black with classic space is what gives me the wrong impression. I completely understand not having the long curved pieces in the right color and substituting for what you have on hand. The black does look menacing from the front as I mentioned. Great work on this. My only complaint was with the leg color.

I did think about ordering in blue curves tbh but then I realised I really need to use up some of the tens of thousands of pieces I’m building up rather than buying more. sometimes the nature of freestyle builds means you just have to try to get as close as you can with what you’ve got. I figured as long as I wasn’t using purple or gold or something really random like that I could pull it off. 😄

Maybe…. Maybe… umm… oh I know! …. It was originally a Blacktron vehicle! And they haven’t gotten around to painting the legs yet! 😁😉

UPDATE: Origin story in original post amended 😁

Edited by Rubblemaker

I think this a cool and unique classic space concept, with a good blend of modern refinement and classic chunkiness. For its size, I almost wish this had a mechanism to automate its legs like 70708 Hive Crawler. The legs look fine (I like the yellow accents near the "feet"), but having a function would add a little wow factor and be more impressive. Just my preference—I know a lot of people prefer a model that is more versatile for display over something engineered for play, but personally I sometimes get bored having to articulate eight legs individually just to transition from one pose to another..

Looks great, I like how you used that death star piece It does look kind of Blacktron-ish with the legs though, and might be even better in full Blacktron colors.

On 6/17/2022 at 10:57 PM, Lyichir said:

I think this a cool and unique classic space concept, with a good blend of modern refinement and classic chunkiness. For its size, I almost wish this had a mechanism to automate its legs like 70708 Hive Crawler. The legs look fine (I like the yellow accents near the "feet"), but having a function would add a little wow factor and be more impressive. Just my preference—I know a lot of people prefer a model that is more versatile for display over something engineered for play, but personally I sometimes get bored having to articulate eight legs individually just to transition from one pose to another..

Some good points about the legs. Certainly, if I was making instructions for this for sale for others to build then I would build some articulation mechanism into it. But it’s just for me and my display collection of funky creature themed classic space craft. It’s not going to be played with but displayed on my shelf next to the Manta Ray and whatever I come up with next :)

7 hours ago, CP5670 said:

Looks great, I like how you used that death star piece It does look kind of Blacktron-ish with the legs though, and might be even better in full Blacktron colors.

Well…. It was originally a Blacktron craft. Benny and the crew found it and they haven’t got around to painting the legs yet ;)

I do like the idea of reverting it to its original Blacktron form though… hmmmm…