Sign in to follow this  
XG BC

Ritten railway cog locomotive

Hello all,

here is a new locomotive moc from me: one of the locomotives from the since replaced cog railway part of the ritten railway. first some history about the prototype. the prototype was used on the ritten railway in italy. they needed to connect oberbozen with bozen because tourism was becomming an increasingly important factor and a railway was thus built to bring tourists up the mountains. the first section (is now deconstructed) was similar to a tramway in its design. the second section, the one connecting the upper part with the lower part was built very steeply and thus required the use of locomotives to push the railcars used on the flat lower and upper sections up the hill. the locomotives themselves had two motors with 150HP each and carried the railcars up the hill at about 7kph. the second and first sections where in use until 1966 at which point they where replaced by an aerial tramway which since itself was replaced by a more modern gondola. the remnants of the former second steep section can still be seen:

rittnerbahn_zahnrad1.jpg

here is the prototype:

csm_type_lokrb_haisjackl_07eed021bd.jpg

enough about the prototype here is the model:

ritten cog railway locomotive

if you want to know more about how the protoype was restored:

https://www.tmb.at/fahrzeuge/lokomotivserie-1-3-4-rb

edit: now added some details:

added details

hope you like it!

Edited by XG BC
Fixed images

Looking good! I like the roof and the slatted wood effect. Just a couple thoughts. It looks slightly compressed to me. Maybe you could add one plate to each of the four windows on the side (maybe switch the plates out with a transparent brick and plate). Also, I think the middle window on the front could probably be doubled in length. Maybe convert a white plate on either side of the window to transparent and increase the overall width of the model by a plate or two. 

Of course just my opinion. I like it and thanks for sharing!

Edited by mark6399
clarity

looking again at the prototype i get your suggestion with the longer middle window. i wont double it but it will be 2 plates wider by making two plates transparent istead of white . thanks for the suggestion. as for the looking compressed. the original also looks compressed so i think it fits and i dont like building very wide and large models i like sticking as close as possible to 6 wide.

Edited by XG BC

After looking at it more, I agree with you on the compressed look and understand wanting to stay close to 6-wide. Looking forward to seeing your progress!

i now added some details and considered your suggestion with the longer middle window:

added details

What an unusual prototype, was this loco used on the flater sections or was this one of the cog locomotives? Regardless, the MOC looks great. I would echo Mark6399 that it would be interesting to see the windows done with trans bricks or possibly even a 1x2x2 panel for the front window.

this loco was used only on the cog section. on the flat ones there where (and still are on the upper section) electric railcars used which where pushed up the mountain on by one of these locos. edit: i am trying different variants right now you will see them all and then you guys can decide which one looks best.

Edited by XG BC

...and i am done!

variant 1:

added details

variant 2:

version 3

variant 3:

version4

...and all of them side by side:

all of them

you decide which one looks best!

Nice! I really like variant 2, and the bottom running boards you added really make the model feel more complete!

I like this little thing a lot!!! And the modifications you introduced during this discussion are only making it better. :sweet:

This is something you should build in reality!!! :thumbup:

Good job!!! :pir-love:

Davide

39 minutes ago, Paperinik77pk said:

I like this little thing a lot!!! And the modifications you introduced during this discussion are only making it better. :sweet:

This is something you should build in reality!!! :thumbup:

Good job!!! :pir-love:

Davide

thank you! i dont have the time for it sadly but you can if you want to. just look in my signature there is a link to a shared onedrive with all my models in it including that one. it is in the folder "zug" and then in the folder "ritten" you will find the file with all the versions

54 minutes ago, XG BC said:

thank you! i dont have the time for it sadly but you can if you want to. just look in my signature there is a link to a shared onedrive with all my models in it including that one. it is in the folder "zug" and then in the folder "ritten" you will find the file with all the versions

I was just wondering about how powering it with a real cog system before dinner! :wink:

I'll check the drive!!! Thanks! 

Davide

16 hours ago, Paperinik77pk said:

I was just wondering about how powering it with a real cog system before dinner! :wink:

I'll check the drive!!! Thanks! 

Davide

you could repace the 9v train motor with a technic built frame that has the same shape. that way you could integrate a gear that grips a toothed rail made of toothed bricks making a real cog railway. there is enough space in the vehicle to build in a technic motor. edit: i just realized that you are italian @Paperinik77pk so it is just fitting for you!

Edited by XG BC

23 hours ago, XG BC said:

you decide which one looks best!

I can't tell the detailed difference between the 3, #1 has plates for windows, #2 looks like it might have 1x1+1x2 bricks for the "three long" windows and #3 looks like it might be using relatively rare 1x3 trans clear bricks. If that is correct, I think I would favor #2- with a single division line between the two bricks it kind of looks like a split window, while the posts in the 1x3 are harder to relate to (and probably a lot more expensive too)

Nice work! I'm also having trouble seeing the differences so all look good to me. I wonder if you could use a plate with clip:  https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=4085b&name=Plate, Modified 1 x 1 with U Clip Thin (Vertical Grip)&category=[Plate, Modified]#T=S&C=88&O={"color":"88","iconly":0} to support the horizontal side rail at the free end, it just looks like it needs some support.

Dave

that was also a thought but the issue with it is that it would ruin the wood texture of the vehicle as they are sideways built jumpers but good idea regardless!

1 hour ago, zephyr1934 said:

I can't tell the detailed difference between the 3, #1 has plates for windows, #2 looks like it might have 1x1+1x2 bricks for the "three long" windows and #3 looks like it might be using relatively rare 1x3 trans clear bricks. If that is correct, I think I would favor #2- with a single division line between the two bricks it kind of looks like a split window, while the posts in the 1x3 are harder to relate to (and probably a lot more expensive too)

true. you have seen it correctly. #2 is my favourite too

here is my idea on how you could pull something like this for running on an acutal toothed track up a hill off @Paperinik77pk:

cog rail concept

9v motor is just for comparison, i am not done as i havent attached a motor yet or stiffened the frame. the rail with the theeth is pretty realistic id say.

Your solution is just perfect, once again we are aligned! :thumbup:

I tried it in the past (2015!!!) with flexible curve tracks and it works!  You just need to use the newer type of gears, which have smoother sides and can arrange the curves without "clicking".

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

Good job and good ideas!!! :wub: 

Thanks!!!

Edited by Paperinik77pk