Barduck

WIP Portland's Union Station (Or)(will be 2 year project)

Bit more progress but I'm starting to get to the point where I'm unable to continue without the much needed pictures.

Added the clock at the main hall's trackside exit:

52150421433_acb6d2c59a_c.jpg

Also, 3 of the 4 benches have been added so the minifig have now a place to rest a bit while the station is being build:

52150421453_1efd11afb9_c.jpg

52150899505_1079e6186c_c.jpg

This is where I'm at for the moment, it's taking shape quite nicely. Still need to do the rounded parts of the main hall and then start on the roof plate that will go on this. That roof will also not be easy, specially the round part, don't have a clue at the moment on how to tackle it.

52150769306_30ec229fca_c.jpg

As always, comments, tips, .... all welcome

Edited by Barduck

oh my getting close now! I am in all honestly not great with buildings but i do love the simple structure with inverted plates to give texture. though the center of the top frame seems to droop under its weight, i assume its structurally sound aside from visually not looking so?

11 hours ago, Ropefish said:

oh my getting close now! I am in all honestly not great with buildings but i do love the simple structure with inverted plates to give texture. though the center of the top frame seems to droop under its weight, i assume its structurally sound aside from visually not looking so?

The beams are reinforced but they do drop a bit under their weight. Luckily they are not going to serve as supports for the roof so it should be ok. Building sideways to obtain the pattern in the wall was simple, and why do it difficult if it works just as well the easy way. But not getting close actually, while the main hall may be going in it's detailing phase, there is still more than enough to build. After all this is only 1/5 of the total length of the station.

Edited by Barduck

it's getting crazy

52162861545_ac65dab88c_c.jpg

Going through mountains of tan 1x2 bricks in no time, last order had 800 and I'm already out. Still looking good on 1x2 Dark Red plates, got like 8k left, those should last me to near the end of the build (I hope)

small bit of progress, waiting on parts is slowing the building pace.

Added the wall (track side) to the second floor of the main hall (this is the third floor overall, main hall is just 2 floor high):

52178305802_4feecff60c_c.jpg

Also did a draft for the doors at going from trackside to main hall, here together with how they'll look with the gold chromed pieces:

52179823145_8d5077ec52_c.jpg

Won't be doing much in the vacation months as it's difficult to keep the smallest kid from tampering with everything so won't be added extra updates in July and August. Will use those months to replenish my stockpile of tan bricks and some of the dark red pieces I still need a lot more off. As for dark red 1x2 plates, I'm settled:

52178810923_4267a4f3fb_c.jpg

Roughly 9 or 10k pieces left, should hold out for the rest of the building (I hope)

Looking amazing as it continues.  Even if not completely realistic, I can’t wait to see your City of Denver compared - are any side by side shots possible right now?

Also, if I’m ever looking for tan 1x2 bricks or dark red 1x2 plates, clearly I know now who to blame….

10 hours ago, Vilhelm22 said:

Looking amazing as it continues.  Even if not completely realistic, I can’t wait to see your City of Denver compared - are any side by side shots possible right now?

Also, if I’m ever looking for tan 1x2 bricks or dark red 1x2 plates, clearly I know now who to blame….

for the tan 1x2 maybe, the 1x2 dark red plates I've already had over 2 years, got them in a LUGbulk back then.

As for side by side shots with the CoD, not possible at the moment, the table where the station will eventually be standing isn't big enough yet to hold station and tracks together, needs about 60 cm

On 6/28/2022 at 9:53 AM, Barduck said:

Will use those months to replenish my stockpile of tan bricks and some of the dark red pieces I still need a lot more off.

On 7/1/2022 at 5:43 AM, Barduck said:

for the tan 1x2 maybe, the 1x2 dark red plates I've already had over 2 years, got them in a LUGbulk back then.

You know, if you are in a LUG, you should ask your club's ambassador to look into Lego's Project Support Program. It is like an off cycle LUGBULK for a specific major project that you (your LUG in Lego's eyes) will be displaying. You have to submit a proposal and get it approved, but if it is, you can get access to discounted pieces in quantity (similar to LUGBULK prices). Of course there is a long lead time between proposal and receipt of bricks. So it might not help with the parts you need immediately, but the title of your thread does say this is a multi-year project.

IDK, the LUG I'm in seams more concerned with applying stupid rules (like only using LEGO parts and not 3th party like BT or Trixbrix tracks) than with helping LUGmembers with their projects

Hey there,

So I rarely ever go on euro bricks and I completely forgot about the site. I haven't played with legos in a long time. It's probably been damn near 10 years since I've been on this website. I was lurking on here one day and saw this post, and got into my old account. I happen to be living in Portland. If you need specific pictures of something, I might be able to find some time and go down there and just take them for you, considering I'm like 10-15 minutes away. 

Anyways, really love the build and was pleasantly surprised to see you settled on the Union Station in my town, living all the way in Belgium! That's awesome.

10 hours ago, keeganp1234 said:

Hey there,

So I rarely ever go on euro bricks and I completely forgot about the site. I haven't played with legos in a long time. It's probably been damn near 10 years since I've been on this website. I was lurking on here one day and saw this post, and got into my old account. I happen to be living in Portland. If you need specific pictures of something, I might be able to find some time and go down there and just take them for you, considering I'm like 10-15 minutes away. 

Anyways, really love the build and was pleasantly surprised to see you settled on the Union Station in my town, living all the way in Belgium! That's awesome.

hey. There's some people that have promised me pictures but so far I haven't received any. Will be contacting everyone next week to see if they managed to get those pictures. School vacation is almost over for the smallest kids so I'll be starting to get more time soon to continue the build (to much of a hassle when they're at home). That doesn't mean I haven't been building in the past month, just very slowly. 

52295803141_59208de68d_c.jpg

Although to be honest, September will have more building time on a corner module with 2 tracks which needs to be ready for Brick Mania Antwerp in November.

I think I'm one of the people :blush:.  I have some friends who live in Portland who want to take pictures, but they caught covid and weren't able to carry through yet.  They're recovering, however, so I'll bug them again.

Time to update this. Since last post I've been very busy on this, but I'm still lacking the interior pictures to add all the details needed. So I'm building with that in mind, I can always take parts of it apart to add the details whenever I get pictures. In the following pictures are all the parts I've build so far, it's a constant challenge to get parts needed as I'm going thru bricks in a high tempo (1000 1x2 tan bricks last me like half an hour when I start building). I've connected the lights for the sign that are inside the main hall, those will just need their decals to finish them. I've also redone the outside curved wall of the main hall, noticed that there was to much stress on the bricks and that I made a few mistakes as well. Some parts I have to make compromises as it's impossible to get it just right.

52499731480_9e961dda14_b.jpg

52552785600_97369113d9_b.jpg

52577673669_c419ed9d3e_b.jpg

52577399231_d40775b3f8_b.jpg

52578720142_249835d34d_b.jpg

52631008173_5a9f818fa1_b.jpg

To add these features I had to cheat big time, drilling holes in to the plates to be able to put the minifig hands in.

52630969170_8ab46fd72c_b.jpg

The slopes were added to get an impression on how this would look, height was ok but I'm going to use 33° slopes instead of these 45° ones as the roof would end up being way to high.

52581098421_c5ef1e6baf_b.jpg