SNIPE

42143 Ferrari Daytona SP3 Mods & Improvments

52139971099_a0d2095d79_c_d.jpg

Managed to slot in the missing headlights, not too dissimilar to the Chiron headlight design - except using Trans-Clear Slopes.

Also playing around with the curved form grille, rather than the flat Black 3 x 11 Panel. Filled in gaps with a Red & Black Bionicle Tooth to each side of the grille.

Edited by LegoHoops

I didn´t like the extreme suspension rake, means the front has to go up or the rear axle to be lowered down. So I decided for the latter by weakening the linkage: 

640x1138.JPG

And by the way simply remove the 1L beams from the support of the rear cover so it will stay up.

You need to remove the black bowed 13L from the clamshell and the suspension travel will be just fine.

640x408.JPG

A nice addition to the collection with the special printed shield which I like a lot.

640x450.JPG

Edited by brunojj1

8 hours ago, brunojj1 said:

A nice addition to the collection with the special printed shield which I like a lot.

640x450.JPG

@brunojj1that is a great collection! You should post more pics and give us some details of your building room/collection here in this thread: 

13 minutes ago, nerdsforprez said:

@brunojj1that is a great collection! You should post more pics and give us some details of your building room/collection here in this thread: 

Thanks! That´s not all of it, but I will do post it in the other thread later. First buy 2 more of the glass shelves and add a few more exhibits to it, God willing :wink: And clean all the dust and fingerprints for higher resolution pictures, for me that´s the least fun part of it, so please be patient...

The Daytona fits exactly into the shelf (each 170x60x28.5cm) lengthwise, but one side mirror needs to be removed to suit the width, same as with the Bugatti.

Edited by brunojj1

17 minutes ago, brunojj1 said:

And clean all the dust and fingerprints for higher resolution pictures, for me that´s the least fun part of it, so please be patient...

Yup.  Same here.  I like the feel of a nice, clean building space as well.  I honestly think he certainly helps with the "relaxing" or "soothing" part that is supposed to accompany a hobby.  Problem is actually getting to a clean Lego room (i.e. the cleaning, organizing, etc...)

Hi all,

Does anyone know if the paddle shift in this model works the wrong way round like the Bugatti and Lamborghini did? (i.e. pulling the right paddle made a downshift and pulling the left made an upshift).  If it does will there be a simple way to correct it similar to the other two such as moving that yellow knobby gear above the beam so it meshes on the top of the other gear rather than below (something like that anyway!)?

Some of your work on here is simply amazing but a bit beyond me so I'd be looking for a fairly simple solution to this if possible as a paddle shift working in reverse would drive me crazy!

8 hours ago, Buzzfox said:

Hi all,

Does anyone know if the paddle shift in this model works the wrong way round like the Bugatti and Lamborghini did? (i.e. pulling the right paddle made a downshift and pulling the left made an upshift).  If it does will there be a simple way to correct it similar to the other two such as moving that yellow knobby gear above the beam so it meshes on the top of the other gear rather than below (something like that anyway!)?

Some of your work on here is simply amazing but a bit beyond me so I'd be looking for a fairly simple solution to this if possible as a paddle shift working in reverse would drive me crazy!

Yes, it does work the wrong way. Moreover, don´t forget to correct the wrong sequence order by turning the green lever, I believe this is a commonly known fix already. 

To change direction you simply need to flip a knob gear like this:

640x461.pngalt_dir.png

9 hours ago, brunojj1 said:

Yes, it does work the wrong way. Moreover, don´t forget to correct the wrong sequence order by turning the green lever, I believe this is a commonly known fix already. 

To change direction you simply need to flip a knob gear like this:

640x461.pngalt_dir.png

Ah, I see!

So if I understand you correctly you reposition the knobby gear by using 2 3L axles instead of the 4L. Then the bit of the axle sticking out of the gear goes into the hole of the square beam type piece in step 242 instead of using the red 2L axle?

That's great, thanks for that and for the actual rendering of it, really helpful. 

I have seen the correction for the gear sequencing thanks and I think they've corrected it in the online manual by showing the position of the wave gear things in step 88.

Thanks again for your help.

Racing Brick has this suggestion for step 240, should this be done also? Or, is this fixing the same thing in step 241 above?

Step 240 (Racing Brick)

A minor error, if the knob gear is in this position forming an X then the axle cannot be inserted in this position forming a +. Both the axle and the knob gear will have the + orientation when inserted in place.

Ferrari_manual_fix_240.png

I have started to pimp up the gearbox. 

The stock design of the gearbox in 42143 Ferrari is pretty much the same as in the 42115 Lamborghini. Same gear ratios, same design, same footprint. So It was very obvious to start copying the proven gearbox from 42115 Pimp up my Lamborghini in the Ferrari with only a few additional MODs.

While the Lamborghini had 4WD drive, the Ferrari has 2WD drive on the rear axle only. So we get rid of the middle differential and keep using the middle axle to connect the reverse gear from the DNR switch to the gearbox. I made a direct connection from the rear axle to the front towards the gearbox, gearing it up with 24:8. So we do not need the gears behind the rear axle and do not need the axles below the differential giving us a free view from the bottom to the differential. Don't worry about the yellow gears in the differential. I faked them by using old gears, because the new gears are not yet available on ldraw.org. 

42143%20-%20Pimp%20up%20my%20Ferrari-bot

I needed to reverse the gearbox compared to the Lamborghini to have the connection between gearbox and DNR for "D" on the right hand side of the car to keep it close to the stock version. Note that the gears inside the DNR have been swapped (20/12 to 12/20) to get the same gear ratio for 1st gear and reverse.

The over-all gear ratios from wheel to engine have been kept as in the proven 42115 Pimp up my Lamborghini. The design is comparable clean, compact and efficient:

42143%20-%20Pimp%20up%20my%20Ferrari-421

42143%20-%20Pimp%20up%20my%20Ferrari%20-

If you like to have a closer look, use these ldraw files:

By the way, with this new gearbox you do not need to swap gears in the paddle shifter. Pulling the right paddle will shift down per default, as used to be in a real car.

Edited by jb70

This seems like the best place to ask. Does anyone know if there is a shift block to prevent a direct shift from 8th to 1st (AKA "the money shift") or will we have to engineer one? I was happy the Sian finally saw one implemented by TLG, but as of yet (step 110), I have not seen anything to block this on this car.

I think its safe to say that the instructions for this model are pretty screwed up. It might have been posted here, but does anyone have a full list of errors I can have for when I build it in August? I want to have the correct gear shifting and gear order for my model.

Had scratches on one of each wheel, so customer support had to send me new ones. And since they come in a prepack of two, they send me 4 (2 of each)

Replaced the scratched ones in the set with the new ones, and now have 8 in total of these (4 left and 4 right). I used the 4 i got left over to experiment a little bit.

First step is some gloss black spray paint. Turned out pretty well...

Second step will be silver paint to get the "face" or outline of the rims and spokes, to get a two tone or "diamond cut" look...

And yes, before that, i will show how they look on the car in all black!

Zychvy9.jpg

Edited by Polarlicht

Right now here is the current result. Personally iam not even a fan of all-black wheels, but looks great notheless...

Next step will be some silver paint on the edges...

yusjPu7.jpg

aNBBge6.jpg

teXSpDK.jpg

E5C8J1o.jpg

94vWZSo.jpg

Ntad7AP.jpg

Also tried some yellow brake calipers

aVSAhV0.jpg

EFucBEL.jpg

6AVG6rA.jpg

ui9D6NT.jpg

Edited by Polarlicht

I am all fine with all black tyres and rims but boy that Ferrari seems to be designed to appeal more with silver (or silver-ish) rims. I am excited to see how silver paints for that two tone look comes out. As usual always admire how your paint turns out as came with Sian :thumbup:

On 6/14/2022 at 8:09 PM, jb70 said:

I have started to pimp up the gearbox. 

The stock design of the gearbox in 42143 Ferrari is pretty much the same as in the 42115 Lamborghini. Same gear ratios, same design, same footprint. So It was very obvious to start copying the proven gearbox from 42115 Pimp up my Lamborghini in the Ferrari with only a few additional MODs.

A few months back, I realized that we don't even need the yellow rubber band, #2 connectors, liftarms and axle with ball joints. We can use the knob wheel as part of the stepper itself - I did this by putting the new comma panels under the L and R knob wheels, the comma  panels act like pawls and have a pin behind them as a range of motion limiter. The pawls can either by normally taught  or normally loose depending on which side you place the white rubber band and ball joint.

It worked very well, saved a bunch of space and, because it had a lot of "snap", it might even be possible to lose the paddle shifters stepper now.

I can build a proper mockup with an actual chassis soon!.

9 minutes ago, SNIPE said:

Do that! BTW it means it can also be applied to Sian, right?

The paint looks great. I just don’t think it looks as good as silver under this car. Maybe if the car was yellow or white it would look better.

4 hours ago, thekoRngear said:

Do that! BTW it means it can also be applied to Sian, right?

yeah and even the chiron

On 6/15/2022 at 3:41 PM, jfb9301 said:

This seems like the best place to ask. Does anyone know if there is a shift block to prevent a direct shift from 8th to 1st (AKA "the money shift") or will we have to engineer one? I was happy the Sian finally saw one implemented by TLG, but as of yet (step 110), I have not seen anything to block this on this car.

Still hoping someone has an answer to this.

EDIT

Nevermind. I solved my own @#$% problem. TLG never installed a shift block in the Sian, I must have and forgotten that I made my own modifications. With my Ferrari transmission built to step 116, I finally had all the gears to actually test my transmission. Or rather, one gear short, somehow I missed one gear, and only had odd gears in the transmission working. Fixed that, and I successfully performed the money shift, 8th to 1st, with the Ferrari transmission. TLG ARE YOU IDIOTS? NO CAR DESIGNER WOULD EVER ALLOW THIS TO HAPPEN! WHY DO YOU PERSIST IN DESIGNING TRANSMISSIONS THAT WOULD CAUSE THE ENGINE TO DETONATE AND THROW RODS EVERYWHERE? (end rant) That said, I realized that on the right side, there were 3 extra gears on the rear side of the transmission, causing the real sequence to be 1 to 8 to 1 to 8 and then to loop back to the original 1st gear. This is actually a 16 speed transmission. since many have lamented that the transmission was the same as the Sian, I brought my Sian over to my work bench and looked at it carefully. I realized that I removed those 3 unnecessary gears, and repurposed a couple parts and with 3 extra parts from my stores, I had built a shift block in that location. I easily have the parts to fix this myself, now I just need to find the time to disassemble the Ferrari engine (with lots of difficult to remove parts) and copy what I did to my Sian.

P.S. We are not allowed to mock TLG's transmission idiocy in reviews of their products. I recall (for either the Bugatti or the Porsche) I wrote a nice review of the product, but in the review pointed out that the gearbox was poorly designed, and that fixes to TLG's mistakes were readily available on the internet. My review got deleted. Stupid Gestapo tactic. 

Edited by jfb9301

7 hours ago, SNIPE said:

A few months back, I realized that we don't even need the yellow rubber band, #2 connectors, liftarms and axle with ball joints. We can use the knob wheel as part of the stepper itself - I did this by putting the new comma panels under the L and R knob wheels, the comma  panels act like pawls and have a pin behind them as a range of motion limiter. The pawls can either by normally taught  or normally loose depending on which side you place the white rubber band and ball joint.

It worked very well, saved a bunch of space and, because it had a lot of "snap", it might even be possible to lose the paddle shifters stepper now.

I sure would like a picture of what you are talking about. It sounds good, and I might like to give it a go for this build when I get to the stepper.

This seems like the place to ask, are there any good mods to help rigidize the daytona's flimsy fuselage, without affecting the look of the car? Compared to the sian, it feels like any wrong move could make the thing break up in pieces.