SNIPE

42143 Ferrari Daytona SP3 Mods & Improvments

15 hours ago, LegoHoops said:

52190438022_2c814652df_c_d.jpg

Can you explain your reasons for putting the #14 panel in front of the front wheel?

85x85p.jpg?1642515054.7536454

Has anyone tried or is considering making the butterfly doors open realistically? I feel like the scoops above the Scuderia Ferrari shields need some realistic detail too.

22 hours ago, williamyzfr1 said:

parts 21 & 22 do not even touch the red sloping bonnet

I will admit that, in a real life mockup that I just made, the collision asserted by LDraw seems much less severe. :pir-blush: Still, I recommend using non-friction pins for this construction. 

Not to be a negative Nancy, but I think the realistic A-pillars is a step backwards. I get that it’s more true to real life, but this is definitely a place where some artistic liberty is a good thing. When you lose that suggested curvature of the windshield it messes with the proportions of the car, imho.

8 hours ago, sm1995 said:

Not to be a negative Nancy, but I think the realistic A-pillars is a step backwards. I get that it’s more true to real life, but this is definitely a place where some artistic liberty is a good thing. When you lose that suggested curvature of the windshield it messes with the proportions of the car, imho.

100% agree so I guess I’m negative Nancy too. I had made a comment before the model was even revealed along the lines of “terrible choice of car in terms of being able to represent the a pillars/windscreen well”. Then when the model was revealed I made a comment similar to what you just said regarding the artistic liberty being a good choice. Although I personally think that while the flex axles on the official model was a better choice, neither option really looks great... 

I really wish we could spend a little time on fixing mechanical problems with this build. Sure body work might be important, but it's polish on a cannon ball. IMHO function is just as important. If it is not body work, generally we seem to focus on complete rebuilds of the transmission. So far in this thread none of my requests for help have been responded to. It is hard to find motivation to share when you are ignored.

22 hours ago, jfb9301 said:

I really wish we could spend a little time on fixing mechanical problems with this build. Sure body work might be important, but it's polish on a cannon ball. IMHO function is just as important. If it is not body work, generally we seem to focus on complete rebuilds of the transmission. So far in this thread none of my requests for help have been responded to. It is hard to find motivation to share when you are ignored.

To be fair the only mechanical question that I noticed you ask was whether the Daytona SP3 had a shift block - Like the Sian.

You answered your own question in a subsequent post - The Sian doesn't have a shift block.

Edited by williamyzfr1

4 hours ago, jfb9301 said:

And about the stepper mechanism.

So thats the only problem, perhaps you could simply PM SNIPE and start "sharing" with the rest of us.

1 hour ago, williamyzfr1 said:

So thats the only problem, perhaps you could simply PM SNIPE and start "sharing" with the rest of us.

The solution is to get the Pimp My Sian gearbox, take out the 16/24 tooth differential and replce the 12/20 tooth double bevel gears with the new blue 12/20 toth gearss. This gearbox already has a shift block if I recall correctly.

Then just slide it into the ferrari, it is the exact same dimentions.

hi guys, is there any solution to having the yellow beams that open the doors be accessible without opening the back hood (like the sian)?

Hi, trying to keep the pimp-my-Ferrari thread alive. I made a modification to the set so you can fold the roof and put it in the frunk. There's enough space there for it, once folded. It only uses a few extra parts: Foldable roof for 42143 on Rebrickable

1000x800.jpg?1657806274.002196

Edited by zonoskar
inserted picture

16 hours ago, zonoskar said:

Hi, trying to keep the pimp-my-Ferrari thread alive. I made a modification to the set so you can fold the roof and put it in the frunk. There's enough space there for it, once folded. It only uses a few extra parts: Foldable roof for 42143 on Rebrickable

Really cool mod I was waiting for this one. This feature had seemed logical to me when I saw the car had a removable roof for the first time. But I was disapointed when I saw the big empty space in the trunk was not even used for a bag. Congrats.

On 6/12/2022 at 12:23 AM, LegoHoops said:

52139971099_a0d2095d79_c_d.jpg

Managed to slot in the missing headlights, not too dissimilar to the Chiron headlight design - except using Trans-Clear Slopes.

Also playing around with the curved form grille, rather than the flat Black 3 x 11 Panel. Filled in gaps with a Red & Black Bionicle Tooth to each side of the grille.

How did you secure the many grille system parts?

11 hours ago, jfr4n5en said:

How did you secure the many grille system parts?

Built up with a combination of these and various plates 

image.png.92e0270473cbfc3a66885baa301a1127.png

Bear with me, I’ll break down the front end at the weekend and photograph how it’s been down.

52169291660_1de17dd87b_c_d.jpg

Edited by LegoHoops

6 hours ago, LegoHoops said:

52261202752_794052f0a5_c_d.jpg

I wonder if the opening upper headlight covers are able to be achieved with the 42143.

By the way @LegoHoops, any news on instructions for all your SP3 mods?

2 hours ago, StudWorks said:

I wonder if the opening upper headlight covers are able to be achieved with the 42143.

I bet they have a couple of prototypes for this mechanism at TLG, but decided none passed their quality/reliability requirements. Sometimes designers even explicitly state they tried adding a feature but scrapped it later. Would be interesting if TLG were more open toward the modding community about the specific ways they tried to achieve additional functions or details -- to see what were their best prototypes... Ah well...

1 hour ago, astyanax said:

I bet they have a couple of prototypes for this mechanism at TLG, but decided none passed their quality/reliability requirements. Sometimes designers even explicitly state they tried adding a feature but scrapped it later. Would be interesting if TLG were more open toward the modding community about the specific ways they tried to achieve additional functions or details -- to see what were their best prototypes... Ah well...

Or at least the option to build the headlights opened or closed (although for no clear reason this set, with its "pursuit for perfection" and all, doesn't even have headlights) would have been great.

The red panels' black line prints probably won't be ideal for most MOC makers, it's sad how Lego cheaped out yet again by simply adding prints instead of realistic detail/features.

I didn't get the $80 book but I would have paid an extra $80 for this already expensive set if it meant more attention to detail instead of cheap solutions. :hmpf:

Still a great set, though.

Edited by StudWorks

I gotta say, the instructions for this set get terrible once you get to the seats, and beyond.

They expect you to build a whole subassembly with weirdly placed parts at weird angles then they just skip to how it connects after being flipped, to the car without showing an image of what the finished subassembly looks like!.

The seats don't say that you have to connect at 90 degrees to something that is already at 45 degrees. S

So if you just connect it straight, you will do it wrong.

I hope to finish the car before the 10th which is when I open the 42145 airbus helicopter..

16 hours ago, SNIPE said:

I gotta say, the instructions for this set get terrible once you get to the seats, and beyond.

They expect you to build a whole subassembly with weirdly placed parts at weird angles then they just skip to how it connects after being flipped, to the car without showing an image of what the finished subassembly looks like!.

The seats don't say that you have to connect at 90 degrees to something that is already at 45 degrees. S

So if you just connect it straight, you will do it wrong.

I hope to finish the car before the 10th which is when I open the 42145 airbus helicopter..

I finished to build mine yesterday, but didn't have issues during the build.

Did you use the online manual or paper manual ? (online for me, that has some corrections compared to the paper manual)

l

4 hours ago, R4ph said:

I finished to build mine yesterday, but didn't have issues during the build.

Did you use the online manual or paper manual ? (online for me, that has some corrections compared to the paper manual)

Paper. I'll try the online instructions then

Step by step images of how grille has been constructed.
52270299301_8f0f64b40b_c_d.jpg52270321118_65e0a3ae80_c_d.jpg52270321028_ac8a27114b_c_d.jpg52270792595_81a5310762_c_d.jpg

The  bracket plates are clipped into the bottom of the angled 3 x 11 Technic Panel
52270320813_1246cafb42_c_d.jpg52270566899_d7a16fd812_c_d.jpg52270320608_bc450ed869_c_d.jpg52269335232_f5dbf74852_c_d.jpg52270298451_da2bb4fe71_c_d.jpg
The bottom set of Slopes are then slid back on the studs to sloping set of Slopes
52270320313_d817ee08c2_c_d.jpg

Edited by LegoHoops