SNIPE

42143 Ferrari Daytona SP3 Mods & Improvments

Can someone please try this mod on Ferrari Daytona SP3’s bonnet.

The addition of two black internal fins to either side of the bonnet - to check fit and integration. 

52155914127_d48c83a30d_c_d.jpg

52156933296_d093e6e18d_c_d.jpg

Edited by LegoHoops

7 hours ago, LegoHoops said:

Can someone please try this mod on Ferrari Daytona SP3’s bonnet.

The addition of two black internal fins to either side of the bonnet - to check fit and integration.

Tried it in LDraw and there's a significant collision. The proposed black #21/22 panel intersects with the big red triangular panel by ~0.5M. So this fit relies on bending plastic.

800x473.png

File: https://bricksafe.com/files/astyanax/42143/hood_mod_v0.ldr

Edited by astyanax
pic & file added

16 hours ago, astyanax said:

Tried it in LDraw and there's a significant collision. The proposed black #21/22 panel intersects with the big red triangular panel by ~0.5M. So this fit relies on bending plastic.

800x473.png

File: https://bricksafe.com/files/astyanax/42143/hood_mod_v0.ldr

So that qualifies as illegal, right? Btw how is the bending force/tolerance of it compared to various illegal connections? I guess in future bending tolerance measurement will be a qualifying factor for an ever tasty illegal technique :pir_laugh2:

Edited by thekoRngear

1 hour ago, thekoRngear said:

So that qualifies as illegal, right? Btw how is the bending force/tolerance of it compared to various illegal connections? I guess in future bending tolerance measurement will be a qualifying factor for an ever tasty illegal technique :pir_laugh2:

Legal/illegal is a concept imposed by TLG on themselves. You're free to bend your own Lego as you wish, but if it breaks, you get to keep the pieces. :drunk:

In official sets, we sometimes see illegal connections made tolerable by mounting on non-friction pins, for example. My personal go-to part for 'fixing' illegal connections is the rubber axle connector.

85x85p.jpg85x85p.jpg

On 6/19/2022 at 7:58 PM, Polarlicht said:

aqTkN7J.jpg

Not to be critical, as it's better than what I could do, they look better from a far. Need to find a way to get a sharper edge to the silver

I know. Not happy with the result from up close!...

I will keep the regular silver wheels and probably sell those black ones...

Thanks to @LvdH and @astyanax for the feedback on bonnet mod, hopefully a couple of commas (toilet roll) in Black should reduce how far the fin protrudes (2 modules vs 3). 

Building rear end of the Ferrari, the Trans Black elements get lost in the structure, I have replaced them with Bright Light Orange replicating photo at the bottom - for better or worse I feel it highlights the light bar better??? Work in progress.
Also added a couple Black ingot elements to the ends of the slopes off the exhausts and completing with a custom printed NZ registration plate.
52167536172_6275bc0eb5_c_d.jpg

52167538002_aeea24243e_c_d.jpg

Edited by LegoHoops

12 hours ago, LegoHoops said:

I have replaced them with Bright Light Orange.
Also added a couple Black ingot elements to the ends of the slopes off the exhausts and completing with a custom printed NZ registration plate.

I personally really like the bright light orange! The contrast and look is much better.

May I ask where you get your custom number plates from? or do you make them yourself? I noticed on your rebrickable photos you got quite a few of them, they look great and add a unique touch!

On 6/19/2022 at 10:16 AM, LvdH said:

Seems to fit:

800x600.jpeg

Trust me... it fits. Its a big improvement of the bonnet to the real car.

2 hours ago, JvdW1968 said:

Trust me... it fits. Its a big improvement of the bonnet to the real car.

I don't doubt it fits. I was just pointing out it bends the plastic. If you have no problem with that, then all good. :pir-huzzah2:

However, it doesn't seem like a fair idea to include this particular mod into the 'official' 'pimped' model...

On 6/24/2022 at 1:16 AM, LegoHoops said:

According to my instructions and my model the black exhaust side pieces exposed studs should be half obscured by the vertical 2X1 beams either side of them yet your ingots are mounted on these studs and are fully visible.

Your whole exhaust outlet seems higher?

I am going to try two flat 2X1 tiles just to cover up the studs.

Edited by williamyzfr1

This works for the bonnet with no bending or conflicts, although coverage is not as good reasonable gaps are maintained.

Bonnet Mod

Edited by williamyzfr1

I’m so pleased work has started on Pimping this set. I’ve built the final Pimped versions of both the GT3 and Chiron and thoroughly enjoyed the building process. At least the instructions will be error free unlike TLG’s. I’ll not be buying the set until it comes down to a more realistic price which I’m guessing is a long way off yet. On the upside, at least all the problems will have been sorted out and like all Pimped sets it’ll be a much improved model.

Thank you to everyone involved both now and in the future.

I have done the bonnet mod and light orange bar at the back end. Also covered up the holes at rear below exhaust with flat plates.

For now this model is finished.

Edited by williamyzfr1

Has anyone come up with a solution for the loose rear clamshell yet? (My SP3's won't stay up)

A few of the modifications I have made to my Ferrari Daytona SP3. It was good to see some different photographs of the yellow Ferrari Daytona SP3 at Goodwood and some close up shots too.
52190438022_2c814652df_c_d.jpg
I have removed the two soft axles from their weird location at the front of the windscreen, instead there a two axles fitted like the ‘A-Pillars’ similar to the rear car. Two-tone mirrors replacing the single red colour.

52191465798_bc44f2053b_c_d.jpg

52191465893_bef2a715f7_c_d.jpg

Deleted the black tiles, plates and the transparent panels from the clamshell cover - replacing them with light-blue Grey to match surrounding parts. Replaced the panels with a single 1x4x6 door frame and window - cuts down the visual clutter and a better view of the engine inside.

52191707014_18102dc8ee_c_d.jpg

Worked through deleting all unnecessary colours inside the clamshell, sticking to red and black for guards.
Also replaced liftarms for the clamshell supports to finer looking friction cylinders and bar with handles - it holds the weight of the clamshell at full extension.

Modifications to the engine and rear suspension supports, moved inboard one stud to lower the rear ride height.

52191466108_11b3f05ebc_c_d.jpg

Fitted fins above the door sill, the 2x3 panel fairing moves with the door and #21/22 panel fairing moves with door mechanism - allowing clearance for door to open and close.

52191935135_221bbcd587_c_d.jpg

52191450061_881a2e9866_c_d.jpg
Further modifications the bonnet fins - now consist of two thin liftarms, 2x1 comma-shaped fairing and a #21/22 panel fairing. No plastic is bent or harmed! 
The base of windscreen where connectors are has been fixed in place too and doesn’t move anymore.

I’m having a few clashing issues with the steering/paddle shifting mod, will have tear down the body work and revisit this and change.

Overall the Ferrari Daytona SP3 is good looking Technics car, it’s definitely a ‘form over (minimal) function’. Personally the I still think the Porsche 911 GT3RS was better, once changes were made to that too. Although recently I purchased another Porsche to build as close to original instructions with just a headlight mod.
The Bugatti Chiron had the best presentation and packaging with rims down the side and reversible boxes, but my least favourite of the four Technics cars.

Edited by LegoHoops
Text

10 hours ago, LegoHoops said:

No plastic is bent or harmed!

LDraw has doubts about your assertion... :wink:

Nonetheless those are some very good-looking mods!

Edited by astyanax
grumpy me forgot to say something positive :-)

51 minutes ago, astyanax said:

LDraw has doubts about your assertion... :wink:

Even with using Lego 62462 (technic pin connector round 2L with slot) parts 21 & 22 do not even touch the red sloping bonnet (Please see my earlier post and picture link).

I intend substituting the four 62462 for four Beam 2 (43857) Black.

Edited by williamyzfr1

On 7/3/2022 at 10:40 PM, LegoHoops said:

Deleted the black tiles, plates and the transparent panels from the clamshell cover - replacing them with light-blue Grey to match surrounding parts. Replaced the panels with a single 1x4x6 door frame and window - cuts down the visual clutter and a better view of the engine inside.

Also replaced liftarms for the clamshell supports to finer looking friction cylinders and bar with handles - it holds the weight of the clamshell at full extension.

I have ordered the parts I don't have to complete these two superb mods, which I really think add a very major improvement to the model.

Makes me wonder why the designer didn't implement these two mods at least?

Ferrari must have collaborated as much as Mclaren did with the Mclaren F1 car (In particular the initial flawed wheel insert stickers).

I am hesitant about the "A" pillar mod as the designer conveys the real lfe curved windscreeen with the use of flexi's.

Perhaps I will implement the other mods in the future but for now these two are really outstanding.

Great work.

Thank you.

Edited by williamyzfr1

1 hour ago, williamyzfr1 said:

Even with using Lego 62462 (technic pin connector round 2L with slot) parts 21 & 22 do not even touch the red sloping bonnet (Please see my earlier post and picture link).

Unfortunately the picture link is dead...

Anyway I think @LegoHoops's original idea can still be made to work, 'legally'. By mounting things on non-friction pins, like so:

800x455.png

Note that 85x85p.jpg?1642514625.9246724 is not connected to 85x85p.jpg?1642515267.240179 directly, but via 85x85p.jpg?1642514540.0788786 -> 85x85p.jpg?1642514501.4598708 -> 85x85p.jpg?1642514521.0553675, allowing some small rotation.

13 minutes ago, williamyzfr1 said:

Nope, "Image not found". Maybe it's my end, but I tried from 2 different devices and browsers. But I remember seeing your pic a couple days ago, from this browser.

Edited by astyanax