SNIPE

42143 Ferrari Daytona SP3 Mods & Improvments

Hi,

following the release of the Lego Technic 42143 Ferrari Daytona SP3, I have created a thread that people can use to discuss post their mods.

I'll get the ball rolling by posting some of my ideas, athough I am waiting a little longer until I buy the set, of course all of the below ideas might or might not be possible to have at once.

• Working disc brakes on all 4 wheels. - the new wheels now provide space (as far as I can see) to have some technic parts wrapped around the disk brake wheel hub,
  • HOG steering dial
  • Gear Indicator
  • HOG Gear Change Dial
  • Nose lift
  • HOG DNR dial
  • Movable flaps above the headlights like on the real car
  • Adding linear actuators to the door
  • Adding linear actuators to the engine cover
  • Adding linear actuators to the fronk
  • Optional motorization
  • 4 steered rear wheels (slightly) - yes on one hand its unrealistic to the real car but on the other hand it improves the turning circle and is easy enough to add in.
  • Working LEDs

Any more ideas, I will update this post.

Let's see what we can do with this beauty!

Here's my top wishlist:

• Spring-loaded doors
  • Spring-loaded engine cover
  • See if we can fit some transparent parts for the main headlights
  • HOG steering and shifting
  • Make the pistons in the engine easier to see
  • Put steering wheel at an incline
  • Maybe change the gearbox so that it doesn't just feel like a copy of the Sian's...
Edited by astyanax

6 minutes ago, astyanax said:

Here's my top wishlist:

• Spring-loaded doors

Pretty much exactly what I was going to say. 
I personally don’t like linear actuators much in manual models as they tend to be too slow, I prefer them in motorized models. Springs was my go to thought as well. 

I would like to see the drivetrain/paddle shifters redone... it would be nice to have something more inovative than the Sian... and we’ve had more or less the same paddle shifters since the Bugatti...

19 minutes ago, SNIPE said:

• HOG DNR dial

I don’t really think this is necessary, the lever is pretty easy to use already - especially with the roof off.

2 minutes ago, langko said:

(...)

I would like to see the drivetrain/paddle shifters redone... it would be nice to have something more inovative than the Sian...

Haha we are even more I agreement then. I was just editing my post to say the gearbox shouldn't feel like a copy from the Sian. Then I read your reply saying the same. :pir-huzzah2:

Not at all familiar with paddle shifters and the like, but could this be incorporated into the Ferrari?

- correcting the front suspension height

- and/or install a front lift w/ 2-3 positions

1 hour ago, langko said:

I personally don’t like linear actuators much in manual models as they tend to be too slow, I prefer them in motorized models. Springs was my go to thought as well. 

I would like to see the drivetrain/paddle shifters redone... it would be nice to have something more inovative than the Sian... and we’ve had more or less the same paddle shifters since the Bugatti...

I don’t really think this is necessary, the lever is pretty easy to use already - especially with the roof off.

Ah actually yeah, you;re right, I forgot you can take the roof off as lego very rarley lets you do this..

Springs could be good instead of actuators indeed.

I actually have been working on a compact flappy paddle shifter for my 42141 mod already, a lot of work still todo however.

Edited by SNIPE

2 hours ago, SNIPE said:

Working disc brakes on all 4 wheels.

I second this. We haven't seen this feature in any of the modern generation (MOC) supercars because the discs were too large relative to the rims.  Operated with a brake paddle in the interior which is easily accessible with the roof off. The 5 star spokes will expose the feature nicely. 

Maybe a way to store the roof in the frunk, like a Koenigsegg. 

26 minutes ago, T Lego said:

I second this. We haven't seen this feature in any of the modern generation (MOC) supercars because the discs were too large relative to the rims.  Operated with a brake paddle in the interior which is easily accessible with the roof off. The 5 star spokes will expose the feature nicely. 

Maybe a way to store the roof in the frunk, like a Koenigsegg. 

Oooh yeah i forgot this, yes storage for the roof in the frunk.

Edited by SNIPE

15 minutes ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

Ah yes. I visited Ldraw a few days ago but didn't catch that part. That site still doesnt have all of the new parts though.

But the model has only been out since 2 days... I understand this is a community effort, give them a chance... :sweet: I'm honestly impressed they already have one of the new panels done!

6 hours ago, T Lego said:

I second this. We haven't seen this feature in any of the modern generation (MOC) supercars because the discs were too large relative to the rims.

I actually did get it to work in one of my older MOCs, but it was an awful lot of trouble, so I never returned to the design, preferring to use wedge belt wheels as brake discs, and foregoing hubs. (See around the 5:06 mark in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eql3xzet69U&t=43s)

I agree that the new rims should make this much more practical!

13 hours ago, astyanax said:

Here's my top wishlist:

• Spring-loaded doors
  • Put steering wheel at an incline
  • Maybe change the gearbox so that it doesn't just feel like a copy of the Sian's...

That could be risky as the one from Pimped Up Sian seems to be a really good one [I can tell it from using the Ford F-150 MOC] but if JB70 and didumos69 come up with something even cooler I will be happily welcoming it.

Edit: I thought you meant the pimped up version of Sian. Since the Ferrari has the same gearbox as the Sian then the pimped up version [if that happens] of Ferrari will also have the same modified version from the PU Sian :pir_laugh2:

@jb70 will we be seeing a Pimped Up Ferrari this year? Would be exciting if the gearbox made even quieter and smoother.

@thekoRngear Indeed, I meant the stock Ferrari gearbox should be different from the stock Sian gearbox. I'm fine with copying the pimped Sian gearbox. But I'm also harboring hope some novel improvements may be found. I'm no gearbox expert though, so I'll humbly accept anything... :pir-blush:

19 hours ago, thekoRngear said:

@jb70 will we be seeing a Pimped Up Ferrari this year?

Yes, i hope so!
And I am already watching and listening to your ideas and contributions with curiosity.

My Ferrari has been ordered just a few minutes after sales opening and has been shipped today. So I am looking forward to start building next week.

I will first build it from stock and create a digital model in parallel. That may take a while. After that I will have a look how to pimp up 

• HOG steering
  • Optimized gearbox with HOG shifting
  • and other things that need to be improved.

I managed to fit Charbel’s Rotating Paddle Shifter & Steering into the Ferrari Daytona structure with minor modifications, the HOG steering should easily fit through the existing Axle Pin Connector #2 (rotated 90 degrees in its current position) located in the dashboard panel. I haven’t been able connect up a gearbox at this stage - as I don’t have the actual 42143 set yet. A minor mod will need to be made to the Speedo Tile position to clear the rotating steering column.

52130591179_22f4620be0_c_d.jpg

One of the biggest disappointments with the Ferrari Daytona SP3 is with the contents under the large opening engine cover. The engine details are very basic to say the least, it is a backwards step from the Lamborghini Sian with exhausts, printed carbon tiles and engine bay cross-brace.

I was hoping the Ferrari Daytona SP3 out the of the box would be a worthy addition to the “Battle of the V12’s”. But it will need some work and repositioning of the engine cover supports.

51906452608_b8ec319269_c_d.jpg

Edited by LegoHoops
Detail

On 6/5/2022 at 12:01 PM, Ngoc Nguyen said:

RrtmhCX.png

10 hours ago, LegoHoops said:

52130591179_22f4620be0_c_d.jpg

Excellant work so far!.

Can someone explain to me why the MLA is needed? Can a similar assembly not be built using connectors?

7 minutes ago, Bartybum said:

Can someone explain to me why the MLA is needed? Can a similar assembly not be built using connectors?

Possibly. But you need a construction that can be yanked and pushed, as well as rotated. There might've been a discussion about this in the corresponding paddle shifter thread, perhaps it's worth digging up. :pir-sweet:

1 hour ago, Bartybum said:

Connectors could work, but I wouldn’t recommend it. Connectors can pull apart, whereas the MLA is one piece. As you might know the actuator portion can rotate freely without extending if the DBG pin hole is not fixed. So the MLA is used for two things: the LBG part is used for the actual shifting, and the DBG part is used because you need to be able to connect something to the steering wheel that rotates but is also sturdy enough to transfer the force of pulling and pushing. It’s an extremely clever mechanism that’s way ahead of what LEGO offers imo. 

1 hour ago, astyanax said:

Possibly. But you need a construction that can be yanked and pushed, as well as rotated. There might've been a discussion about this in the corresponding paddle shifter thread, perhaps it's worth digging up. :pir-sweet:

15 minutes ago, LvdH said:

Connectors could work, but I wouldn’t recommend it. Connectors can pull apart, whereas the MLA is one piece. As you might know the actuator portion can rotate freely without extending if the DBG pin hole is not fixed. So the MLA is used for two things: the LBG part is used for the actual shifting, and the DBG part is used because you need to be able to connect something to the steering wheel that rotates but is also sturdy enough to transfer the force of pulling and pushing. It’s an extremely clever mechanism that’s way ahead of what LEGO offers imo. 

Ah true, totally forgot it has to be pulled. Yeah fair enough