A_C

[TC22 - not qualified] CAT Skid Steer Loader

Hi,
It's my first time to join the Eurobricks Contest. When I read the details of the TC22 Contest, this MOC (CAT Skid Steer Loader) was already WIP for months. My last tune is to tackle the size restriction (10000 cubic studs). Finally it's done and the main features are:
- Total no. of pieces is around 900
- Around 1/16 to 1/17 scale; works well with the 42114 Volvo Articulated Hauler
- 4WD with a modified transverse subtractor by Sariel (http://sariel.pl/)
- Requires a BuWizz 1.0/2.0 or CaDA or Mould King remote battery hub
- PF L Motor for the main driving
- PF M Motor for the steering
- PF M Motor for the bucket lifting 
- PF M Motor for the bucket tilting
- Movable cabin
- Bucket is swappable to a pallet fork or a larger bucket
- Detailed cockpit and driver seat

52107741127_ab9b90c4c7_c.jpg

52108796478_2002d22e84_c.jpg

52109276385_9cc31ed01c_c.jpg

52108763956_c3b42fbd6e_c.jpg

52108796543_6a1f2bec43_c.jpg

52107741277_6e972d05ab_c.jpg

52108796623_8d53efd6aa_c.jpg

The size is 20.5 x 17 x 28.5 = 9932.25 cubic studs

52108796643_5d8fb4e1c5_c.jpg

More pictures at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/124502100@N04/albums/72177720299363293

Video uploaded:

Edited by A_C
title changed

I don't want to ruin this nice looking loader, but I'm afraid, that it is too far away from technic category @Jim

17 minutes ago, Jurss said:

I don't want to ruin this nice looking loader, but I'm afraid, that it is too far away from technic category @Jim

I don't think there is a contest rule stating the proportion of technic parts vs system parts. Besides, other contestants also use system parts.

I'm not judge, but

Some studded parts and panels are okay, but model team is not permitted.

but here whole body is something like model team. Only boom is technic. Yes, others use really some system parts.

If there was those some plates on boom, something on the rear around grill, that would be OK.

48 minutes ago, Jurss said:

I'm not judge, but

but here whole body is something like model team. Only boom is technic. Yes, others use really some system parts.

If there was those some plates on boom, something on the rear around grill, that would be OK.

When the 'skins' are removed, it's 100% technic.

52109587105_806d832274_c.jpg

Anyway, I'll be more than happy if the judge says it's not qualified.

I tend to think that this one crosses the line too; most of visible parts are System.
Maybe you should have asked @Jim beforehand; if he also thinks your MOC is too far on the Model Team side, you won't have much time to fix it now...
The general shape should be provided by Technic bricks. System bricks are used to fix small details. At least that's my approach to a TC.

It's a nice little MOC, by the way, it would be a pity not to see it enter the contest.
But it seems that even on the grand total, it contains more System bricks than Technic. Is that correct?

20 minutes ago, 1980SomethingSpaceGuy said:

But it seems that even on the grand total, it contains more System bricks than Technic. Is that correct?

Any advice on how to get the count of system and technic parts from Stud.io?

As said, I leave it to the judge now.

BTW, video updated.

2 hours ago, A_C said:

When the 'skins' are removed, it's 100% technic.

That's good.

But this rule was implement (I think so) mainly because of - mainly in contests win nice looking MOCs, not so technical (of course, look also is important). As with system parts it is easyer to achive better look, then there is that rule. Maybe next will be specific model team contest (as this is now merged forum).

It sure isn't the right place to start a discussion about this subject, but maybe the segregation between Technic and Model Team should be discussed.
I tend to give more importance to mechanical features than looks in a TC. I also tend to think Technic panels do the job at least as well as large structures of System bricks. So I wouldn't mind removing all limitations on System brick usage, see what people come up with and what they vote for.
Maybe set votes for 1: Features and 2: Looks, and give more importance to one or another matter depending on the contest being Technic or Model Team?

Entry topic says there are 1L& 3 M PF motors but only one on the digital image ?

Agree  too many system parts.

Edited by doug72

51 minutes ago, doug72 said:

Entry topic says there are 1L& 3 M PF motors but only one on the digital image ?

First M is right above the L one, second is on top of the whole structure at the back and the last one (I believe) is placed vertically between the LAs.

Where does the battery go, can we have some images showing all the PF components ?

18 minutes ago, doug72 said:

Where does the battery go,

Looks like at the front is some sbrick buwizz or something

From rules

Electronics (PF elements, SBricks and Mindstorms) are permitted.

but most probably @Jim didn't listed all, as why then PU would be permitted. Or these 3 are really only allowed?

Edited by Jurss

That's a beautiful little build. I'm in awe at how you managed to cram so much mechanics into so little space and still preserve the model's aesthetics.

There is a lot of gear cracking when your driving. Yes you have packed a lot into a small space but I think you have sacrificed a lot of structural rigidity. 

For me. A lot of the times it's the playability that counts not so much the looks.

Sorry way to much system. Not just your covers but the cab itself. It pays to have a work in progress thread. Sure people will come along and say way to much system. But they are also a helpful bunch offering idea's or hey have you tried this. 

Still you got on the board and entered which is more than I managed. So don't get discouraged and certainly have a crack at tc23... 

Kind regards Matt 

I really like the model and it needs some skills to fit everything in there :)

one thing is that this was a 'WIP for month' as written in the description in the first posting? Is this allowed? I thought the spirit of the contest is to build a model in the given time for the contest 

11 minutes ago, m2fel said:

one thing is that this was a 'WIP for month' as written in the description in the first posting? Is this allowed? I thought the spirit of the contest is to build a model in the given time for the contest 

That is always a difficult issue. I am not sure how to tackle this. There will be more people who have unfinished MOCs and use them in a contest. As long as the WIP hasn't been posted elsewhere I think there is very little we can do about it. I can make progress images mandatory, but that would be very easy to reverse engineer, so it would be useless as a form of evidence.

8 hours ago, A_C said:

I don't think there is a contest rule stating the proportion of technic parts vs system parts. Besides, other contestants also use system parts.

Using system parts is okay, for details. This model does use a lot of system model in the bodywork, turning it into a model team finish. I also mentioned in another topic from another member that he needed to limit the number of system parts and turn it into Technic. You need to ask yourself the following question: "Would this set be considered Technic by TLG and sold in stores?" I think we all agree that this model has way too much System to be considered Technic.

Besides that; it would have been better to post a WIP topic much earlier to get the feedback you needed. A WIP topic is to show progress and to get feedback about your model and your choices. Presenting it on the last day is not in the spirit of the contest and you are risking criticism about your entry, which in my opinion is valid in this case.

I do feel a bit sorry, because it's a great model, but we do have certain rules in place which we need to enforce. For next contest I will try to make it more clear what is considered Model Team and what not.

I will ask @Milan for a final verdict on this matter.

3 hours ago, Jurss said:

Looks like at the front is some sbrick buwizz or something

From rules

but most probably @Jim didn't listed all, as why then PU would be permitted. Or these 3 are really only allowed?

Buwizz is okay. I will add it to the list for future contests.

First of all, thanks all for your comments. Whether it's good or not, I really appreciate them.

I must admit my intention to build this MOC is not purely for TC22. It's a months project standing on my desk even before TC22 started. I faced a lot of technical issues so there's no WIP post.

However, TC22 does give me a reason to continue this project. It pushes me to finish this MOC. As it's my first time to join Eurobricks Contest, I didn't realize the importance of the rules and limitations. I'll pay more attention for the next time.

As said before, I'm more than happy if it's not qualified for TC22. As least I'm now ready for the next project. :blush:

@A_C ,
I have to agree with @Jim on this one. As noted, system bricks are okay here and there to give more detail or to enhance it in some other way, but in this case, your model has too much of it, to be Technic.
If someone loves brick built (model team) finish on a model, it is me, but for this contest, we need a Technic model.

Therefore, this model will not be listed in the voting topic, sorry.

Besides that, thanks for your honesty, and can't wait to see your next build :wink:

4 hours ago, A_C said:

First of all, thanks all for your comments. Whether it's good or not, I really appreciate them.

I must admit my intention to build this MOC is not purely for TC22. It's a months project standing on my desk even before TC22 started. I faced a lot of technical issues so there's no WIP post.

However, TC22 does give me a reason to continue this project. It pushes me to finish this MOC. As it's my first time to join Eurobricks Contest, I didn't realize the importance of the rules and limitations. I'll pay more attention for the next time.

As said before, I'm more than happy if it's not qualified for TC22. As least I'm now ready for the next project. :blush:

Thanks for understanding and being honest about things. We really appreciate it. And of course, we are looking forward to future MOCs!