Recommended Posts

Greetings,

I am currently in the need of some sort of software that can control Powered Up Hubs using a form of programming language other than block coding. I've been having difficulty getting repositories such as node-poweredup and Brick Automation Project to work. The application for BAP works, but I want to be able to actively control the hub like you can with the Powered Up app. 

If you have any guidance on how to get the aforementioned repositories working, I would greatly appreciate it. Or if you know of another piece of software I haven't tried yet I would greatly appreciate that too. I would prefer the software have a language similar to Java, or anything similar like C#, but at this point I couldn't care less. I just really want to code these things.

Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Did you have a look at sharpbrick/powered-up? I tried this some time ago, and it worked well on a Windows 10 device and Visual Studio.
If you are fine with using a different firmware on the hubs, then there's also Pybricks.

Edited by technicfan20

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

sharpbrick/poweredup seems to work in Powershell, but I can't get it to work in Visual Studio. Since this has been the pattern with everything I've tried I'm assuming it's something to do with me. It says it can't find a project when running and it has a lot of problems. I imagine there must be something more to do than just cloning the repository.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know these repositories but Pybricks is a free and well rounded package to control the PoweredUp hubs and devices with easy coding in Python. Comes with its own repositories, works from the browser and can flash to the hub with firmware to work without device.
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Berthil said:

I don't know these repositories but Pybricks is a free and well rounded package to control the PoweredUp hubs and devices with easy coding in Python. Comes with its own repositories, works from the browser and can flash to the hub with firmware to work without device.
 

 

Does Pybricks allow you to control your motors? Not just make code and have the motors follow it in sequence? I want to control it like I would from the Powered Up app with some form of user input.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

really want to use some sort of repository for controlling motors, that way I can use a controller that's not the PU remote. The PU remote limits my controlling options quite a bit. I also don't feel like learning python and buying a PU remote to use. I guess I just need someone to enlighten me on how to get these repositories working.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

you can use your keyboard for remote control with pybricks

shown here

Edited by Jayden

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Blocker_Buddy said:

The PU remote limits my controlling options quite a bit.

Not sure how you came to that conclusion. The PU remote is actually quite a good solution. I never thought I'd say this but having recently gotten into C+/PU, I think it gives one far more "controlling options" than any other LEGO motorisation system as it allows one to  fully program everything, motors, leds buttons remotes and sensors to do exactly what one wants. I motorised the drive, steering and gearbox of my 42110 set with C+ and the PU remote in less than 250 lines of code, and that's with multiple control modes.

My main issue with C+ though is that the L and XL motors are utter junk and the requirement to flash third party bootloaders to make C+ actually usable.

 

8 hours ago, Blocker_Buddy said:

I also don't feel like learning python and buying a PU remote to use.

Well, I mean, if you can't be bothered to put the effort in to learn one of the easist programming languages around and spend £5 on a remote........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Blocker_Buddy said:

really want to use some sort of repository for controlling motors, that way I can use a controller that's not the PU remote. The PU remote limits my controlling options quite a bit. I also don't feel like learning python and buying a PU remote to use. I guess I just need someone to enlighten me on how to get these repositories working.

Hmmm ...

Let me wrap this up:

  • You don't want to learn Python or better Pybricks, which is a lot easier, as it is tailored towards PUp.
  • The PUp remote is not an option, because ... it has only 7 keys to use, correct?
  • A smartphone is not an option, because ... why exactly?

Would you be comfortable making your own key type interfaces?

I don't understand what you really want, with what kind of effort.

Best,
Thorsten

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, MxWinters said:

The PU remote is actually quite a good solution. I never thought I'd say this but having recently gotten into C+/PU, I think it gives one far more "controlling options" than any other LEGO motorisation system as it allows one to  fully program everything, motors, leds buttons remotes and sensors to do exactly what one wants. I motorised the drive, steering and gearbox of my 42110 set with C+ and the PU remote in less than 250 lines of code, and that's with multiple control modes.

 

3 hours ago, Toastie said:

The PUp remote is not an option, because ... it has only 7 keys to use, correct?

Maybe I'm just underestimating what the PU remote can do, but I don't think the amount of buttons will do it for me. I see myself controlling like 4 individual motors, which I don't think can be done with a PU remote. With a PU remote I feel like I'd only have the amount of buttons to move, and enough buttons left over to fully control one more motor. I guess I can get the amount of buttons I need by using Pybricks and keyboard control. Ideally I would like to use something like a Xbox controller to control everything. That's mainly why I want to use a repository so I could stick in some other code to let me use a controller like that. 

Coding language doesn't necessarily matter. It's mainly the amount of control I have. I'm not too lazy to learn Python, I'm just a bit too picky. I would prefer something like C+ just for ease of use. But I suppose I should be more open if I plan on accomplishing anything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Blocker_Buddy said:

Maybe I'm just underestimating what the PU remote can do, but I don't think the amount of buttons will do it for me. I see myself controlling like 4 individual motors, which I don't think can be done with a PU remote. With a PU remote I feel like I'd only have the amount of buttons to move, and enough buttons left over to fully control one more motor.

You can use 2 PU remotes, it's LEGO so you even have connection points to attach them to each other ;)  

If you want to simply control those motors with an Xbox controller then there's Brickcontroller 2. Otherwise I really suggest Pybricks, that might be the most versatile solution. 

Btw Mindstorms / Spike Prime now also have the ability to use Xbox/PS4 controllers. It will only work with the 6 port hub, but it works. 

None of these might the the exact solution you wanted to see, but I think there are enough options to choose from :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Blocker_Buddy said:

 

Maybe I'm just underestimating what the PU remote can do, but I don't think the amount of buttons will do it for me. I see myself controlling like 4 individual motors, which I don't think can be done with a PU remote. With a PU remote I feel like I'd only have the amount of buttons to move, and enough buttons left over to fully control one more motor. I guess I can get the amount of buttons I need by using Pybricks and keyboard control. Ideally I would like to use something like a Xbox controller to control everything. That's mainly why I want to use a repository so I could stick in some other code to let me use a controller like that. 

Coding language doesn't necessarily matter. It's mainly the amount of control I have. I'm not too lazy to learn Python, I'm just a bit too picky. I would prefer something like C+ just for ease of use. But I suppose I should be more open if I plan on accomplishing anything.

Yes the PU remote has 7 buttons (i.e, control of 3 motors) but one should be able to use the centre green button as a shift button to allow you to add a second set of 3 motors like I did with the mode select on my Land Rover.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, MxWinters said:

Yes the PU remote has 7 buttons (i.e, control of 3 motors) but one should be able to use the centre green button as a shift button to allow you to add a second set of 3 motors like I did with the mode select on my Land Rover.

Sure, I already showed a complete railway layout, level 1 for engines 1+2 , level 2 for all switches, signals, railroad crossing.

There I used BAP, but for other projects I usesd an ESP with legoino, which should allow other input media too, especially build from other PU-Components, or Gamepad or more than one remote  .......

Edited by Lok24

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And if you want to try some general purpose app intended to avoid the need for programing and the need of a mobile phone, everything using LEGO Handset remote, you can try my https://github.com/vascolp/RemoteBlaBla.

It is a pybricks program.

Have fun programming... or not programming :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.