kbalage

[REVIEW VIDEO] 42143 Ferrari Daytona SP3 part 1 & 2

Here is my detailed building review of the 42143 set. I tried to show all details of the build, and I did not have much time for it so I had to split my review to more videos. Second part is still work in progress, that will show all the features, part list, exterior/interior, dimensions, comparison to other 1:8 sets. I'm still working on it so if you have anything you want me to add then let me know in the topic. Here's the first video:

And here is the second part of the review with the part list, exterior and interior details, demonstration of the features (that's a quick one), a recap of the errors and some others listed, comparison to the other 3 1:8 Technic supercars and my verdict about the set: 

Key findings

• Gearbox is practically a 1:1 copy of the Sián, but due to an error in the manual the gear sequence is incorrect
  • new rims/tires, slightly larger diameter than on the Sián
  • new #40 wheel arches
  • new #62 and #63 panel fairings
  • new heavy duty gears for the latest differential housing
  • new red heavy duty shocks (similar to the ones in the BMW), I think only the color is different
  • Funny error - 2 small #21 / #22 panel fairings are "forgotten" in the instructions, hence you can see 2 exposed red axles at the rear bottom of the set on all official photos. The panels are supposed to go there as the outer fins of the rear diffuser as they are visible on some of the development photos in the press package
  • door opening mechanism can only be operated from the engine bay
  • engine cover does not stay up when we try to operate the doors
  • limited edition (5000 copies) book will be sold separately about the car and the design process

Thanks for the great review, I watched it earlier. However I have a question about the new differential gears. Can you confirm that they don't mesh with normal gears? Sorry, this will be something for the second part, right? I just couldn't wait. Once again (after watching it more carefully) thanks for the review,

Edited by The01

Thank you for the detailed review. And you're right, I am disappointed. There's a lot of passion for enticing casual buyers on display (didn't they have the 18+ :laugh: 1:10 scale cars for that?!) but zero passion for making an authentic model of the real mechanics, it's a literal copy/paste of a previous mechanical abomination so I give up on this series of cars. 

Thanks again for the great review @kbalage. I kept thinking there were conflicting designs for the front wheel arches parts, but now I see there are two different designs.

Lots of fun new panels....

Thanks for the wonderful review!  Really important to get a review from a regular Technic builder, because if not, you get something like this: 

where at minute 5:44 he says the working paddle shifters is the first time this has been offered in a Technic UCS car, and praises the "technics" of the set.  Lol.... praises the the gearbox as well yet at the same time does not know it is built wrong.  

Despite our opinions of the car I believe TLG will keep putting out this boilerplate stuff.  Recreational buyers just eat it up even though they have no idea what really is in it/or not.  They just see the pretty and want it.  This is a channel that has no shortage of subscribers and really I think it reflects what we are working with when it comes to the customer base for these UCS cars.  I think our expectations for these sets are WAYYYYY too high.... 

23 hours ago, nerdsforprez said:

Thanks for the wonderful review!  Really important to get a review from a regular Technic builder, because if not, you get something like this:

I couldn't watch the entire "review" because it was so bad. 

Edited by Milan
Please do not quote the entire post.

1 minute ago, u118224 said:

I couldn't watch the entire "review" because it was so bad. 

Funny thing, I was also watching his review and comparison and yeah... I think I will stick to @kbalage 's much more knowledgeable reviews.

On 5/24/2022 at 7:42 PM, nerdsforprez said:

I think our expectations for these sets are WAYYYYY too high....

Well. They should remain exactly there. And if not: Screw them. In the past, there was Technic. Now we have folks voicing this:

(From the "you get something like this" - uhmm - review, @nerdsforprez is referencing): "The packaging is a next level experience"

No more to add, I just stopped watching it right there. And should have stopped it >way< earlier, as I lost 30 seconds of my life.

Best,
Thorsten

I really enjoyed both of your reviews, thank you. I'm torn, because as you point out, it's only improvement on any of the past models might be the looks, but actually, I prefer the Sian. However, it will look nice in a collection with the others, and I look forward to the alt builds that some of the genius members of the community come up with.

On 5/24/2022 at 7:42 PM, nerdsforprez said:

because if not, you get something like this: 

Looks like he's seeing serious Technic model for the first time. :cry_sad:

I do enjoy Balas' (is that correct spelling? *huh*) review every time I watch them. :pir-love:

Edited by Mikdun
Typo

@kbalage are you able to tell us if more parts do have a less visible molding lines and/or in completely different places, i.e. 1x1 tile and some longer 6-8x1 tiles too. I did notice that lately, specially with some speed champions sets where I had some older 1x1 plates with molding lines on one side where some others (same colour) from the new batch with molding line on the hidden bottom side. Personally I really do like it.

@kbalage Thank you for the review. Looking at the parts list I see 50 of the new red half-pins with friction ridges and pretty much the new "filled in" pins all around. Can you confirm that indeed, it's exclusively the new style pins that are used for this? Also, it doesn't look like it, but is there any color inconsistency with the parts?

15 hours ago, blondasek said:

are you able to tell us if more parts do have a less visible molding lines and/or in completely different places

I know the new 1x2 “comma” panel was redesigned to have the parting line on the side to have a clean print on the front. The new book mentioned this on one of the pages (seen on New Elementary).

10 hours ago, XenoRad said:

@kbalage Thank you for the review. Looking at the parts list I see 50 of the new red half-pins with friction ridges and pretty much the new "filled in" pins all around. Can you confirm that indeed, it's exclusively the new style pins that are used for this? Also, it doesn't look like it, but is there any color inconsistency with the parts?

Yes I can confirm, there are no blue halfpins in the set. The part list can be seen at the beginning of my second video btw. As for the color inconsistency, I've seen some slight variations in the blue items, but not in the red ones. 

20 hours ago, blondasek said:

@kbalage are you able to tell us if more parts do have a less visible molding lines and/or in completely different places, i.e. 1x1 tile and some longer 6-8x1 tiles too. I did notice that lately, specially with some speed champions sets where I had some older 1x1 plates with molding lines on one side where some others (same colour) from the new batch with molding line on the hidden bottom side. Personally I really do like it.

I did not really observe pieces from this perspective, so you need to give me some examples of visible / distracting molding lines to look for :) One thing I noticed is the blue beam on the seat with the Ferrari print that acts as a headrest, the injection point is on the back on one of them, but it's on the front right next to the logo on the other, and it is quite annoying. 

And thank you again for part 2. Regardless of if we always agree, your reviews are always very clear, unbiased and informative, can't ask for more :thumbup:

@TechnicRCRacer thank you for pointing that out! :)

@kbalage for the beam with print, I saw it in your review - for sure Lego will replace it :) As for the examples, I did notice a lot of changes with the tiles where the molding point has been moved from the side to the bottom of the tile. At least with 1x1 tiles and 1x4-8. Also, as TechniRCRacer mentioned - the comma part did change the molding point too. The best example I believe is from the "black" Dodge Challenger from the speed champions 2021 set, the roof piece has a molding point exactly on the middle from visible side. As far as I am aware, Lego will change that so the molding point will be on the bottom side of this plate.