Phondly

Phondly EnBo PU Battery Pack for Powered UP Technic HUB

Hi Everyone,

We have been working on a project for 1.5 years to finally find a solution to the problem that LEGO does not offer: a rechargeable battery for the technical Powered UP HUB.

Because LEGO is relatively slow to update its products in this area, we decided to give our unique battery, the “Phondly EnBo PU Battery Pack,” a chance.

Kickstarter_live

Over the past 4 months, we’ve developed our prototype to such a level that we thought it was time to introduce and launch a Kickstarter campaign to raise money for our first production line.

Prototypes

The product itself is an integrated solution for 2-cell li-ion batteries, combined with an electronics that provides fast charging via the built-in USB-C connector, power-path management (for stationery models) and consistent output performance throughout the full capacity of the batteries. .

The key features are:

- lighter than 6 alkaline batteries with holder

- constant 9V output voltage

- Withstands high power consumption (tested for 5A demand)

- power path management, where LEGO creations can be operated while the battery is charging using the power of the connected USB cable

- there is a charge indicator LED (lit through the brand logo)

- through LEGO or other third-party applications, inform you that the battery is low by turning off the voltage conversion before the batteries are completely discharged.

- can be ordered with two types of cover for the old snap-in HUB or the new screw HUB (fully replaceable on the base box)

IMG_0611

- With the help of you (the sponsors), the appearance of the product will be similar to that of LEGO (better quality injection molded case made of ABS plastic)

510dcc08-a2c8-49d5-9ca2-eb7bbb47131b

- the case design allows to tilt the battery out from the HUB

kickstarter-the-waylanders-905360

We have so far financed the project 100% on our own, but unfortunately we do not have enough capital to finance the production, so we turned to the LEGO community to help us achieve our goal in a kickstarter campaign.

As for kickstarter campaigns, you need to know that everything works on an all-or-nothing basis, meaning we only get the money we’ve raised during the campaign if we’ve reached or exceeded our goal.

As a supporter of the campaign, if the goal is not met, you will not lose your prepaid money, the amount will not be deducted from your card at the end of the campaign.

So if you want to be a part of this story and feel committed enough to help this product get into stores, please help us reach our minimum goal of € 60,000 or more by supporting us on kickstarter while choosing a a reward for yourself that you are happy with.

On the other hand, if we don’t achieve our goal, we won’t get paid to continue working on this great product.

Our Kickstarter Campaign page is: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/phondly/enbo-pu

Edited by Phondly

12 minutes ago, Andman said:

Any chance to include Norway for shipping?

Hi, added on request. We look forward to welcoming you as a potential backer. :)

Very interesting project, TLG should've done something like this right from the start. I'm not sure though if I need one, as I already have the RI hub, but for those who only have the C+ hub, this will definitely increase playability a lot.

Assuming the Kickstarter campaign is successful, where can one buy it afterwards and how much will it cost?

15 minutes ago, howitzer said:

Very interesting project, TLG should've done something like this right from the start. I'm not sure though if I need one, as I already have the RI hub, but for those who only have the C+ hub, this will definitely increase playability a lot.

Assuming the Kickstarter campaign is successful, where can one buy it afterwards and how much will it cost?

Thanks for the trust you have in advance, but there are still a lot of things left until the product hits stores. One of our plans is to sell the product through our own website https://www.phondly.com and through LEGO stores that are open to it. At the moment (I don’t know how the world economy will change in a year), I could say that the price of the base line pledge (75€) in the campaign is in line with the store price.

Allow me one more thought, don’t let your orphaned existing C + HUB rest on the shelf untapped, rather choose one of our great offers to help us get the fund we need to complete the project. :)

17 minutes ago, Phondly said:

Thanks for the trust you have in advance, but there are still a lot of things left until the product hits stores. One of our plans is to sell the product through our own website https://www.phondly.com and through LEGO stores that are open to it. At the moment (I don’t know how the world economy will change in a year), I could say that the price of the base line pledge (75€) in the campaign is in line with the store price.

Allow me one more thought, don’t let your orphaned existing C + HUB rest on the shelf untapped, rather choose one of our great offers to help us get the fund we need to complete the project. :)

Thanks for the info!

I'm considering your offer, I just fear that it'll end up mostly as dust collector. But I'll have to think about it and see if I still want to get one!

Hi, 
This is a great project, I really hope that the kickstarter campaign is successful!

Is it possible to include Bulgaria in the list of shipping options?

13 minutes ago, le60head said:

Hi, 
This is a great project, I really hope that the kickstarter campaign is successful!

Is it possible to include Bulgaria in the list of shipping options?

Hi,Thanks

Please choose European Union as destination for shipping

Edited by Phondly

On 4/4/2023 at 2:10 PM, HectorMB said:

Finally, it didn't saw the light, right?

No, unfortunately there was not enough support on kickstarter to start mass production. Pity, because it is great to have, I happily use my test unit ever since, and it does make a difference. Besides more power, for example, in my RC Bronco model, the rear axle can use softer springs because of the much lighter battery, which results in more axle articulation and better offroad performance.

If there would be visible interest, maybe @Phondly could be convinced to make some units for sale with the current 3d printed case, though when I last spoke with him he said that shortage of electronic components is also a problem nowadays..

Hi all,

I didn't give up.

I'm still working on getting the battery pack into production.

Since the injection molding process is not worth it in small series, I insisted on 3D printing, but now with SLA resin-based technology.

You can see the improved quality of the new box compared to the previous version:

52800723725_f07f08054f_c.jpg

I am working on a small batch production of 50 pieces.
First of all, I want to satisfy the needs of those who signed up to the email list after the kickstarter campaign, but the remaining pieces and the pieces of the possible next series will soon be available to anyone.

More information coming soon

10 hours ago, Phondly said:

I didn't give up.

That's great to hear! :))) Excited about next steps!

It certainly looks more polished with this printing technology, although I thought even the latest prototype was good enough. After all, it's the electronics inside that matters, and only the cover will be visible on the bottom when inserted into the hub..

Bonjour 

Je souhaiterais savoir si le bloc rechargable est disponible à l'achat?

Cordialement

18 minutes ago, Privey said:

Bonjour 

Je souhaiterais savoir si le bloc rechargable est disponible à l'achat?

Cordialement

Hi. We speak English on this forum, just FYI.

On 4/7/2023 at 9:13 PM, Phondly said:

Hi all,

I didn't give up.

Since the injection molding process is not worth it in small series, I insisted on 3D printing, but now with SLA resin-based technology.

You can see the improved quality of the new box compared to the previous version:

52800723725_f07f08054f_c.jpg

I am working on a small batch production of 50 pieces.
First of all, I want to satisfy the needs of those who signed up to the email list after the kickstarter campaign, but the remaining pieces and the pieces of the possible next series will soon be available to anyone.

More information coming soon

Hi there, any update on this? :)