Sign in to follow this  
Rubblemaker

[MOC] Collaborative - 84cm long Raider Class Imperial Corvette - Instructions available

Hi all, 

After almost a year of work, myself and another builder named Bruxxy are both really proud to announce the launch of our Raider Class Imperial Corvette from Star Wars Battlefront 2. Shortly after the release of my Rebel Corvus (from the same game) via Brickvault last August we both started work on a collaborative build of the Imperial version. Bruxxy took on the role of digitally designing the new exterior over the interior structure of my rebel version and then I took over and build tested it, refining and re-working many areas inside and out. The end result is this 5484 piece, 84cm long, 48cm wide behemoth. Instructions are available from www.brickvault.toys. The full album can be found on my Flickr page here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/164260086@N06/albums/72177720299155448

Thanks for looking :)

800x800.jpg

800x800.jpg

800x800.jpg

800x800.jpg

800x800.jpg

Edited by Rubblemaker

On 5/23/2022 at 4:05 PM, KevinYoung said:

Very nice build.

Thanks very much :)

On 5/23/2022 at 6:16 PM, Kage Goomba said:

Beautiful!

Cheers!

10 hours ago, Rubblemaker said:

Thanks very much :)

Cheers!

How did you do the large panels hinge wise?

I'm looking for alternatives for my TIE Defender Project (see link in signature)

13 hours ago, Kage Goomba said:

How did you do the large panels hinge wise?

I'm looking for alternatives for my TIE Defender Project (see link in signature)

They have mixels built into them. The ball and socket plates of the mixels are both attached and then pressed onto the frame. It's a tricky part of the build but quite solid once they're on. It needed a lot of testing to get the positions correct for the placement of the mixels in the hull but luckily I'd already done all that testing when I created the Rebel version of the ship last year so we could just move straight onto hull plate design for this version knowing we already had all that sorted.

20 minutes ago, Rubblemaker said:

They have mixels built into them. The ball and socket plates of the mixels are both attached and then pressed onto the frame. It's a tricky part of the build but quite solid once they're on. It needed a lot of testing to get the positions correct for the placement of the mixels in the hull but luckily I'd already done all that testing when I created the Rebel version of the ship last year so we could just move straight onto hull plate design for this version knowing we already had all that sorted.

Don't suppose you'd be willing to share a diagram showing me that?

If you've looked at my project from hell - could be useful in making improvements XD

18 minutes ago, Kage Goomba said:

Don't suppose you'd be willing to share a diagram showing me that?

If you've looked at my project from hell - could be useful in making improvements XD

800x578.jpg

So this is the underside of one of the large hull plates. As the mixel ball sockets are LBG they blend in perfectly with the SNOT hull panels so they are built into them. Then the DBG ball mixels are clipped into them and the whole thing is press onto the frame. There are 5 of these in total all the way along the hull panels. 

2 minutes ago, Rubblemaker said:

800x578.jpg

So this is the underside of one of the large hull plates. As the mixel ball sockets are LBG they blend in perfectly with the SNOT hull panels so they are built into them. Then the DBG ball mixels are clipped into them and the whole thing is press onto the frame. There are 5 of these in total all the way along the hull panels. 

And how do you keep it from falling due to weight? In terms of the ball hinge of course.

2 minutes ago, Kage Goomba said:

And how do you keep it from falling due to weight? In terms of the ball hinge of course.

That's never been a issue. Once all 5 of the dbg ball joints are stuck onto the frame it's in place. Even if one comes free it doesn't have any effect. It's a display model so it's not going to be swooshed around or anything... plus its absolutely gigantic so you couldn't swoosh it even if you wanted to.

Just now, Rubblemaker said:

That's never been a issue. Once all 5 of the dbg ball joints are stuck onto the frame it's in place. Even if one comes free it doesn't have any effect. It's a display model so it's not going to be swooshed around or anything... plus its absolutely gigantic so you couldn't swoosh it even if you wanted to.

Hmm I'll have to see about using this technique as a possibility for my TIE defender...not sure I can hide those ball hinges tho. Thanks for the insight.

16 minutes ago, Kage Goomba said:

Hmm I'll have to see about using this technique as a possibility for my TIE defender...not sure I can hide those ball hinges tho. Thanks for the insight.

No worries. I don't know how it would work on any other type of construction. It was always the best way to do this particular one though. Clips or hinges were nowhere near as secure. It is very a different type of build to your defender though. Good luck!