evancelt

[COR-FB] Town Hall, Queenston

Townsfolk gather at the town hall in Queenston to hear privateer captain Edward Scarver read a report containing recent news of the war against the Lotii.

The main meeting chamber of the town hall is below grade with a tall ceiling and high windows, keeping temperatures cooler during the hottest months. While entering the town hall feels a bit like descending into a crypt, the design of the room encourages discourse and has a moderating effect on tempers during gatherings.

queenston-town-hall.jpg

---------------

OOO: Wanted to try using the white Vidiyo case pieces as a facade for the building. Attempting a rural Havana / New Orleans vibe

@Ayrlego - To be licensed by Corrington as a medium Art and Culture build for Queenston

I like it very much! It looks like an Italian villa on a vineyard. :pir-love:

Edited by NOD

Great work capturing the aesthetic of the inspiration pictures, especially the colour palette.The medium nougat/dark orange works well for this style (I guess the bricks from the clay pit have entered production!!!). The diagonal 1x1 SNOT studs are a very nice little detail as well.

If I could offer one minor suggestion, it would be to maybe try and break up the demarcation line between the dark orange and nougat sections - the façade strikes me as being a little 'flat' if that makes sense. Maybe further indenting a stud? Or making the nougat indents around the windows a little bigger?

Anyway, it looks great as is - I've licensed for the faction and added your total to the faction thread.

12 minutes ago, Ayrlego said:

(I guess the bricks from the clay pit have entered production!!!)

I think we can pretend this scene happens a little further in the future as it also implies Scarver being in charge.

My next build is a traditional sawmill which logically would have been constructed before the town hall:pir-blush:

1 hour ago, Ayrlego said:

If I could offer one minor suggestion, it would be to maybe try and break up the demarcation line between the dark orange and nougat sections - the façade strikes me as being a little 'flat' if that makes sense. Maybe further indenting a stud? Or making the nougat indents around the windows a little bigger?

Thanks that's good feedback. It looked a little flat to me, too, so I added the lions (out) and indented windows (in) on the top to try to counter the flatness. But the section between the left windows still looks pretty flat. Perhaps moving the flag that is the left of the doorway to that space between the left windows would have both balanced it a bit better and distracted from the flatness.

And like you pointed out, the building is pretty long and that light bley demarcation line is very straight the whole way across. I wonder if putting a few round 1x1 studs in the light bley line would have helped break that up a little.

Will have to build more Havana-esque Queenston buildings to try it out :pir-grin:

Great build - it really sets the tone for the settlement!

I think the vidiyo cases would look excellent with stickers to make them look like windows themselves.

Fine slab of brick there! The alabaster detailing is a great touch. Certainly looking the part. The broad palette on the pantiles works great too.

1 minute ago, Jeff of Clubs said:

Fine slab of brick there! The alabaster detailing is a great touch. Certainly looking the part. The broad palette on the pantiles works great too.

Thanks! Speaking of slab of brick... :pir-grin:

Spoiler

Thanks for the kind words @NOD, @Ross Fisher, @Justsomebrix, @Jeff of Clubs, @Ayrlego, @Spud The Viking !

The mix of colors on the roof here is pretty sweet.  I also enjoy the way the lavender and olive show against the nougat wall!

13 minutes ago, Kai NRG said:

The mix of colors on the roof here is pretty sweet.  I also enjoy the way the lavender and olive show against the nougat wall!

Thanks - the roof is 322 dark brown, brown/reddish brown (all of my 1x1 round bricks in these colors are mixed together :pir-blush:), dark orange, and dark red barrel bricks

Displayed a variant of this build along with some others at FanExpo Denver this past weekend:

2022-fan-expo-townhall.jpg