Sign in to follow this  
BarfolomewMog

(MOC) Bossk Battle Mech

Hello!

Here is the third mech in this series.

I had a lot of fun building this guy as I went into it with a clear sense of scale from the start.

I initially got a whole lot of those chest cavities with cover plates from the Nexo Knights battle suits as I thought that this was the scale I would be building in, but Bossk is the only mech where I ended up using this piece as intended.

I think one of the biggest challenges for me was the limited part selection available in olive green but it actually helped focus the direction that I took this build.

I re-used IG-88's base because I don't have the space to keep building landscapes but I did add a little island using a technique that I saw Thomas Jenkins use in his wonderful "Not So Super Six"

Hope you like it!

52090863384_eec05619a8_b.jpgBossk Raptor-Class Battle Mech by Greg Dalink, on Flickr

52090942710_49df306751_b.jpgBossk Raptor-Class Battle Mech by Greg Dalink, on Flickr

52090942735_f57b0d8db4_b.jpgBossk Raptor-Class Battle Mech by Greg Dalink, on Flickr

52089408272_c9d3bd6d32_b.jpgBossk Raptor-Class Battle Mech by Greg Dalink, on Flickr

Edited by BarfolomewMog

This is awesome! I'd had hoped you'd do more mechs after IG-88 and Boba, and this one might be the best yet. Great part choices (I love the nexo robot shoulders as toenails and the chima speedorz cover as the head), and it really comes together. Bossk feels like he should have turned out worse than IG-88 or Boba, since he's more organic while IG is a droid and Boba's armored, but I really think he turned out the best. It really feels like it's a solid mech, but also works as a sort of bionicle bossk, just as IG-88 and Boba's mech resemble themselves. 

Sweet mech. The colors work well together and the details are good. I like the removable/lifting head feature.

17 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

but I really think he turned out the best. It really feels like it's a solid mech, but also works as a sort of bionicle bossk

Thanks Mandalorianknight!

In a lot of ways I feel like Boba was my "apprentice piece".

I was a lot more confident going into this one as I was able to expand on all that I had learned whilst constructing Boba.

I came out of my Dark Ages when my kids came along (who are now entering their own Dark Ages!) so I missed out on the Bionicle side of things although the kids had some Hero Factory sets.

I'm enjoying combining System with Constraction and I think this has helped lift my game with Bossk, adding life to him. He is far better constructed and quite swooshable.

3 hours ago, Feuer Zug said:

I like the removable/lifting head feature

This is a feature of all of the mechs in this series as I want them to have a power armour feel about them.

Glad you like it!

Awesome MOC, love the CHIMA headpeice usage!

Fun fact: The yellow pressure suit worn by Bossk in "The Empire Strikes Back" is actually from a costume used in the 1960's Doctor Who serial "The Tenth Planet"... the last serial of the First Doctor. (It is only viewable nowadays in still photos, as the BBC deleted it to make room in their tape archives.. but the serial lives on in Bossk!)

4 hours ago, BarfolomewMog said:

Thanks Mandalorianknight!

In a lot of ways I feel like Boba was my "apprentice piece".

I was a lot more confident going into this one as I was able to expand on all that I had learned whilst constructing Boba.

I came out of my Dark Ages when my kids came along (who are now entering their own Dark Ages!) so I missed out on the Bionicle side of things although the kids had some Hero Factory sets.

I'm enjoying combining System with Constraction and I think this has helped lift my game with Bossk, adding life to him. He is far better constructed and quite swooshable.

I'd encourage you to check out bionicle. It's a different beast than standard lego and uses a completely different system than hero factory. In terms of these mocs, at least, there's a lot of colors that came mainly in bionicle (flame orange used to be called "keetorange" because it was primarily found in bionicle sets such as "keetongu"). Medium Brown, for example, would be good for some of the Zuckuss or Dengar parts. Speaking of them, do you know which one you're doing next?

21 hours ago, Murdoch17 said:

Fun fact

I see you are a man of culture!

22 hours ago, Murdoch17 said:

CHIMA headpeice usage

My first attempts at building a helmet kept coming out as a crappy cross between Halo and crazy frog and looked ridiculous. I then tried a 4x4 half sphere canopy which looked alright but lacked inspiration. I was pretty happy to find the Chima piece hidden in the minifig tub!

19 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Medium Brown, for example, would be good for some of the Zuckuss

I've been collecting Bionicle parts over the last year exactly for this! Not sure how I'm going to use them yet as I've yet to tackle him seriously (25% done?).

Dengar is 90% done but in pieces and needs revisiting as I haven't touched him for a couple of years and 4-Lom is 98% done .