Before I disappoint anyone I want to say that this project is still in a phase where I am not sure if I will actually build the car. Right now I just want to see if I can fit a 6speed manual transmission with AWD and 4 wheel steering into one car and make it work reliably.

But if things do work out I will probably finish the R34 project because the R32,R33 and R34 are the only japanese cars I know of to combine AWD and 4WS

This is my current progress:

800x450.jpg

I managed to squeeze a gear rack into the transmission I used for my R32 GT-R to give it 4 wheel steering. I also had to decrease the overall width on each side by 1 stud to give the tires space to turn without rubbing

IMG_20220522_114913.jpg

here you can see the gear rack placement. I had some massive issues clearing the two differentials, but it all worked out very well in the end. And I only had to increase the transmission length by 1 stud! I am satisfied.

IMG_20220522_114924.jpg

Bellyshot. The 20T bevel gear engaging with the center diff will be replaced with the new 20t straight cut gear once I get my hands on it. Thanks again to @Zerobricks for trying out if this combination would work.

Gray Gear

Edited by Gray Gear

I think the Mitsubishi gto also had 4wd/4ws.

either way I’m well up for seeing another quality jap car from you.

@OnyyX No real progress to be honest. I have been working on different Projects (one of which will appear on EB very soon).

At the moment I don't feel technic cars that much tbh. After 4 1:8 technic cars in a row I need some diversity I think :blush:

2 hours ago, Gray Gear said:

At the moment I don't feel technic cars that much tbh. After 4 1:8 technic cars in a row I need some diversity I think :blush:

Yeah, I definitely feel that! I've built heaps of cars over the years, but I'm now deeply bored of them!

@930 Turbo I think quite difficult. There is a reason I haven't done it. I experimented with a 5+R version on the RX-7, and while it did work a lot of friction was introduced into the drivetrain, especially in reverse. I prefer to have a very smooth drivetrain instead of one with reverse and a lot of friction.

A 6+R transmission would be a lot more difficult still. How to activate the reverse gear using the gear lever, when all 6 gears are already blocked?

Agreed. I built a replica of your 6 speed gearbox and installed it in the 42056 Porsche gt3rs. It fit like a charm, and runs very smoothly

Based off the images you posted a while back of the gearbox I was able to build it.

I think I figured something out with system bricks that would fit 4 shift rods in the existing shifter mechanism

Thanks. I figured out how to fit 4 shift rods in the same space as before. However, I am having trouble fitting the safeshift mechanism in it as well