HatBricks

Looking for advice with avoiding lego discoloration in the sun.

Hello!

I'll preface my specific questions with a bit of context to understand what I'm asking about.

I've been collecting Lego my whole life, but only started to make an effort to keep my sets fully together/displayed around 2013-ish. And since then I mostly just display all my sets in my room which also doubles as my office. A couple years ago I was starting to run low on display space, so I'd began dismantling some older sets, to make way for new ones. (though any D2C sized sets, plus a couple things I really liked has stayed assembled) At the moment, I have very few sets displayed that released prior to 2017.

Over my collecting history, I have a few sets that have received sun damage, but they've only been sets that have been displayed in rooms other than my main office/collection room. My main lego room does have a prominent window that for years has just been open, but more recently I've hung up a curtain to block it, either when I'm not there or when it gets really sunny. So far though, I haven't identified or confirmed that any Lego I've displayed in my office/room has received any sun damage. (Neither sets in indirect light or what I think is direct light at certain points in the day. 

Lately within the past 2 weeks, I've gotten really paranoid about sun damage, and 2 days ago I noticed what I'm concerned is the beginning of some slight sun damage on a 2018 X-wing (Though it's so slight, I'm not 100% sure it isn't dirt residue, as I've been falling behind a bit when it comes to lego dusting). I don't really have another room to display my collection and I'd ideally not have to board up the window since I have to spend a lot of my day in the room and completely avoiding sunlight probably isn't great for my health. I've done a fair bit of research on sun damage, but I haven't been able to find a lot on the specific questions I've had, so I'm hoping maybe some on here with more experience may have some insight. (I'll note that I'm well aware that there's a method of reversing sun damage which is great, but it would be my preference to avoid any damage as much as possible and save that for a last resort.

I know that direct sunlight is definitely a problem, but to what extent is indirect sunlight? Is it the kind a thing were only direct is a problem or indirect is also an issue but it just occurs slower? (Cause if indirect is fine, it just means I need to move around some shelves.

Also does anybody know if there's an average estimate to how long it takes for sun damage discoloration to occur? Cause so far I'm not sure if nothing has changed color because of where it's displayed or if it just hasn't been there long enough. (I think the oldest set I have displayed is The Ghost from 2014, which appears to be fine)

I'd really appreciate any feedback as I'm at a bit of a impasse as what to do. So far there don't seem to be any major problems, but I can't help myself from being stressed out about it. 

You need to filter out UV wavelengths and make sure the room doesn't get too hot. That's the most critical part. Consider covering your Windows in specific UV-absorbent foil or buy some pulldown shades to that effect. The rest is just normal ageing as the polymer oxidizes and partially breaks apart. That could also be mitigated somewhat, but clearly dousing your room in nitrogen or xenon wouldn't be an option. ;-)

Mylenium

On 5/22/2022 at 5:18 AM, Mylenium said:

You need to filter out UV wavelengths and make sure the room doesn't get too hot. That's the most critical part. Consider covering your Windows in specific UV-absorbent foil or buy some pulldown shades to that effect. The rest is just normal ageing as the polymer oxidizes and partially breaks apart. That could also be mitigated somewhat, but clearly dousing your room in nitrogen or xenon wouldn't be an option. ;-)

Mylenium

Thank you for the advice! I will be looking into those UV filters

All what @Mylenium said!

Spoiler

I'd suggest Argon though if you do take the noble gas approach - as it is much cheaper than Xenon - would also work :pir-wink:

Maybe this explains it a bit: https://hps.org/publicinformation/ate/q12082.html

Don't underestimate elevated temperatures, again, as Mylenium said.

And most importantly: LEGO aging will happen. I believe it is a good idea to maybe slowly but steadily accept that - entirely normal - process. 

I am looking at this process as becoming ... mature. Richer in colors (well OK, in theory - I can only see white becoming less white or brownish - and I love it on my tanker train cars - I also do like color fading (e.g. on my 727 diesel engine from 1977 - it adds a natural touch). Even dust adds to the look, provided the model is not entirely covered and barely visible anymore :pir-laugh:.

I don't understand the hype about tiny little scratches on brand-new LEGO tiles or transparent stuff ... I like models looking - "alive". BTW, the X-wings >never< looked shiny and clean in - uhmm - real life, they were essentially in combat all the time! Laser guns do leave scratch marks and change colors, for sure!

Oh well, just my opinion. Just don't overdo it - life goes on - and eventually we all degrade into dust, why shouldn't we allow LEGO bricks to come to rest as well.

Best wishes,
Thorsten

Assess your indoor lighting too. Some types can emit more UV than others.  :pir-classic: