johnnym

[TC22] Tracked Loader (42121 double alternate model)

I would have loved to use my mining excavator as entry for this contest, but as it was already pretty finished it was a no-go. I therefore will try to create something new for the contest.

My plan is for a tracked loader out of the parts of 2 x 42121. As my mining excavator (which needs about two copies of 42121 and another shovel) isn't digitized yet and is also needed in real for another planned photoshooting of the functions and I don't have enough copies of 42121 available - yeah I know, luxury problems - I need to disassemble my dozer and dumper 42121 alternates for the loader. I'd like to have kept the dumper at least as companion for the loader but that will have to wait until later I'm afraid.

So these are the parts I have available:

parts.jpg

I think I will start with the basic functionality of the loader and setting the dimensions.

It's already late now, but I couldn't make time earlier because of other stuiff. We'll see if this goes anywhere until the end of the contest but I hope for the best. Fingers crossed...

Enough for today, this is what I did accomplish until now:

workarea.jpg

And these are more detailed shots of the loader:

prototype-01.jpgprototype-02.jpg

Tracks and turntable base and cabin are still from the dump truck/42121 A model. I might keep all of them as is because the base just works great (and I don't see a reason why to change that then) and the cabin is needed to keep it in scale with the other models. I think it looks a little like 42094.

I still have lots of parts available and a lot to do. The rear end will become wider and has to become heavier to keep the balance better with the large arm. The mechanism to control the shovel is a pretty massive, I hope I can "thin" that out a little.

Not yet sure if this is the way to go, but it's definitely something different then the usual.

Looks like a great start! Good idea with the 42121. I'm looking forward to see the result.

12 hours ago, johnnym said:

Tracks and turntable base and cabin are still from the dump truck/42121 A model. I might keep all of them as is because the base just works great 

I would change all that to your own stuff if you want some votes in the contest! using an official build might get some scours (from me at least :grin:)

Other than that I love the look of this.

3 hours ago, MangaNOID said:

I would change all that to your own stuff if you want some votes in the contest! using an official build might get some scours (from me at least :grin:) 

In that size and with the limitation of 2 x 42121 inventories I don't know if this is easily possible. I mean yeah, I can most likely build those differently - they are actually already different in some details - but what should that accomplish? If a solution is good as is, why should it not be used in a model? I am pretty sure, that a lot of small solutions or mechanisms in use in this contest were already used before and by someone else.

3 hours ago, MangaNOID said:

Other than that I love the look of this.

Thank you. It became more of an excavator style loader. The rear looks like a spider butt in my eyes. I like how the shape of the curved slopes and the panels flow into each other almost organically. Those part designers at TLG do a very good job.

@MangaNOID:

Are you happy now? :wink:

next-steps-01.jpg

next-steps-02.jpgnext-steps-03.jpg

The loader now got:

• four tracks
  • headlights (2 x fixed and 2 x adjustable with handle (same as on the 3 x 42121 mining excavator - well, it comes from the same company))
  • rear lights
  • air filters
  • a wider rear
  • a shorter arm
  • a more closed hull

Edited by johnnym

19 hours ago, MangaNOID said:

:blush:

unique and creative c model, I like it more than before :thumbup:

Thanks for your kind words. Much appreciated, also the advice. I also like the new tracks. I tried them on my mining excavator, too, but they look much better on the loader.

So I'm about to finalize this model. Yesterday I did continue adding details and made some structural improvements:

finalizing-oscillating-tracks.jpg

finalizing-front.jpgfinalizing-left-side-and-rear.jpg

The loader now in addition has:

• oscillating tracks (tracks also moved one stud lower for better clearance, work well on carpet)
  • warning lights
  • step and fuel tank cap (left side)
  • shovel movement extremes increased

Rear and front were also finalized and the side panels are now "one piece" and easy to remove as a whole to get a view inside the engine bay.

finalizing-twin-turbine-engine.jpg

Today I finished up the engine: a twin-turbine. It's not working nor connected to the tracks, but you can at least move the two impellers. And it works as counterweight to the arm and shovel.

Current measurements are: 26 27 (L) x 14.5 14 (W) x 19.5 (H) = 7351.5 7371

Well, I think this is it. There is still a good amount of parts left, but I don't think they'd add anything good to the loader. I'll give the design a little time to settle though.

Edited by johnnym
corrected dimensions; added current measurments

Bounding box pictures:

bounding-box-01.jpg

bounding-box-02.jpg

According to the bounding box it fits in 27 (L) x 14 (W) x 19.5 (H) = 7371 cubic studs.

@Philtech:

Thank you very much, glad you like it. But for the oscillating tracks, credits go to @MangaNOID who did "incite" me to do something about the original 42121 A model tracks I used earlier.