R0Sch

10497 Galaxy Explorer 90th anniversary set

2 hours ago, technicfanatic said:

Does anyone have a link to a stud.io file for the main build of 10497

I'm working on it.

6 hours ago, LegoFjotten said:

Looks like the file is gone, is it still available somewhere? Just got my second copy of the Galaxy Explorer today :D

Pretty sure it got deleted for the same reason that my similar one didn't get approved: it's not a MOC.

I was told I could create a custom parts list for this. Here it is: https://rebrickable.com/users/davebarrett/lists/179439/

9 minutes ago, davebarrett said:

I was told I could create a custom parts list for this. Here it is: https://rebrickable.com/users/davebarrett/lists/179439/

Thank you! That worked like a charm

Usually not a spaceship guy but absolutely love this one:

THE GOOD:

• Looks great and way bigger than I expected.
  • Love some of the building techniques through out.  (the down arrow on the back storage, the engines, the landing gears... etc)
  • No stickers!!!
  • Surprisingly spacious interior.
  • I think the offramp is a great play feature. 
  • Good value!

THE NOT SO GOOD:

• none?  I couldn't find any but may be we should have a display stand comes with it but I think it will make the a bit more expensive so I'm ok with this.

I really love this one from the build to how it looks.  It's great pricing, could have been way more expensive.   Now I just need lego to release an updated spaceman in black!

I just finished building this. It's a fantastic build in so many ways and the ramp design is especially clever. I love all the printed parts that evoke different classic prints, especially the Blacktron signal on the radar.

The only thing I don't like is the new MABS plastic for windscreens and trans parts. It looks and feels quite different from PC, and scratches more easily. Still, I plan to pick up a couple more copies of the set for parts. It's pretty cheap for how much you get with it.

Just built the Galaxy Explorer Sport model - I like this one just as well as the original!

Image is link:
QoSSGAZm.jpg

Is one copy of the set enough to build both of the smaller models, or do you need two of them?

42 minutes ago, CP5670 said:

Is one copy of the set enough to build both of the smaller models, or do you need two of them?

Three copies are needed @CP5670 - one for each ship: one for 928, one for 924, and one for 918

Edited by Murdoch17

G’day all,

I just finished building the Galaxy Explorer, and I’m completely blown away by the size and how awesome it looks!

Here are my improvements:

1. I swapped the Flat Tile 8x16 with a Plate 8x16 that includes 4 or 5 Round 1x1 with Bar and Pin Holder 20482 inserted on the end rows of holes of the plate. When sliding the plate out with the space buggy parked, its not as smooth as the Flat tile.. but it does help the astronauts walk up and down to enter the ship. 
  2. Added more head room for the astronauts to enter the cockpit by removing the computer display screen and adding 2 extra Blue 1x3 plates.

image.jpeg.5f280f3df96bc431828ddfee333780a4.jpeg

image.jpeg.07735b52616aac5231ecd17dfb10d68f.jpeg

Edited by Ldon13

12 hours ago, lowlead said:

Just built the Galaxy Explorer Sport model - I like this one just as well as the original!

Image is link:
QoSSGAZm.jpg

That's not the Sport model, but the Swift model!
I'm a bit biased towards "just large enough" builds, so this one might become my favorite of the three.

Just started, and I find that the core chassis in bag 1 has a sort of space aesthetic by itself. And a classic Technic aesthetic, there are only two studless beams. 

20220816_140118.jpg 

I replaced the first astronaut's head with that of a black female, in memory of a certain black icon who died recently. 

Hi there Eurobricks,

My first post here. When I saw the new Galaxy Explorer on Youtube, bought it that afternoon. I was eight or nine when the original came out so it was a no-brainer for me. Me and my neighbour played w/ Lego Classic Space every day in my memory. Built our own ships and played 'Battlestar Galactica' and, of course, 'Star Wars'. A year or so ago I rescued some of my old Lego that wasn't cannibalized for "my own creations". Some of it is in my display cabinet now.

Anyway, I rebuilt the new Galaxy Explorer kit into the "medium" alternate build: the new version of the LL924. I had  that one as a kid but it disappointed from the beginning (so I cannibalized it). It looked like an uninspired angular blue box. No "swoosh factor". I do not remember ever seeing the small LL918 variant in stores. I would have loved that one though!

From the parts that I had left I modified the medium build a bit. See photo's below. Apologies for the quality of the photo's: I only have a mobile to take photo's with.

The medium LL can be equipped with a red 'Ruby Photon Engine'. The cargo bay can also be can modified to hold a tiny car, just like the big LL.

For maintenance the Ruby Photon Engine core can be removed and swapped for a dummy core for calibration (see photo's).

When removed, the Ruby Photon core can be re-doped, which requires a green Emerald crystal as every Classic Space fan knows of course. :wink: For this, one of the minifigs can operate a Ruby Doping Console (RDC). As everybody knows the RDC runs on toxic Beryllium gas. Hence the black colour of the gas tanks on it.

The front of my medium LL holds two Emerald Lasers (closer together than the official alt. build) and, if one wishes, an Emerald crystal dish.

I think this large set is a steel at 100 Euro. Maybe that's because it's not licenced from an expensive brand.

Slowly getting addicted to Lego again, but with little display space for it... ;)

LL924-new-and-Starfleet-Voyager-for-size

The modified LL924 with a Starfleet Voyager for size.

Font-close-up.jpg Front-close-up-other-angle-smaller.jpg Front-with-Emerald-crystal-dish-smaller.

The modified front, close-up, other angle and with the Ruby Laser dish.

Car-in-cargo-hold-side.jpg

Car in cargo hold.

Ruby-Photon-engine-front.jpg

Ruby Photon Engine.

Ruby-Photon-and-dummy-calibration-cores- Ruby-Photon-and-dummy-calibration-cores- Ruby-Photon-engine-wo-core-smaller.jpg

Dummy core, Ruby Photon core and cargo bay without core.

Diorama.jpg

Inspection-diorama.jpg Inspection-with-calibration-dummy-core-s

Calibrating the engine, doping the Ruby core and filming it from a platform.

Edited by WaybackLegoman

Bag 2, and a surprising amount of progress. You expect a model this complex to be almost unrecognisable at this stage. Not here. After 2 bags, we have the cockpit seating, the first part of the side walls, and the retractable landing gear. On the 70s original, the simple landing gear was added last. 

20220817_175401.jpg

There are some nearly hidden red lights throughout. Emergency lighting in the event of a crash, or perhaps warning lights for engineers? Or both? The grey plates on the underside make the model look more solid, although some of the wing plates are barely hanging by a stud. I hope the finished model is more solid. 

Edited by Bornin1980something

There's a Youtube video of somebody who made the missing moonbase that originally came with this set. Or has that been posted already?

That's a very nice 50% scaled up platform and moon crater/base indeed. 

It helps that the 48x48 baseplates are already light bley of course.

Edited by TeriXeri

2 minutes ago, TeriXeri said:

That's a very nice 50% scaled up platform and moon crater/base indeed.

Agreed. The only reason I’m not copying Norway Bricks’ design or MOCing my own is I don’t have room for it in my display collection. The new Galaxy Explorer by itself takes up a large footprint.

3 minutes ago, AmperZand said:

Agreed. The only reason I’m not copying Norway Bricks’ design or MOCing my own is I don’t have room for it in my display collection. The new Galaxy Explorer by itself takes up a large footprint.

yes, 50% larger in 1 direction, but if you take both width and length it's 2.25x larger total area, like going from 32x32 (4 16x16) to 48x48 (9 16x16) basicly.

Edited by TeriXeri

The size is one of the reasons they stated as not trying to bring back the moonbase at this scale. It looks nice, but also, to me, shows that the ship on it's own is perfect for a set without the need for the moonbase.

On 8/12/2022 at 1:36 PM, LegoFjotten said:

Looks like the file is gone, is it still available somewhere? Just got my second copy of the Galaxy Explorer today :D

Apparently Rebrickable is ok with alternate models, but not alternate partslists to alternate models. At least it shouldn't get deleted here.

https://bricksafe.com/pages/BigJudge/small-star-wars-builds/10497-galaxy-explorer-parts-lists