R0Sch

10497 Galaxy Explorer 90th anniversary set

After the initial speculations by Stonewars, we now have a confirmation by Promobricks that there will be another 90th anniversary set coming out this summer. A re-imagined Classic Space 947 Galaxy Explorer (US), aka 928 Classic Cruiser and Moon Base in Europe, from 1979. But the main focus will be on the spaceship alone, a 3D or printed baseplate and communications tower will NOT be included.

The cockpit consists of two back-to-back 12 x 6 x 2 windscreen pieces in trans yellow (the same part as used in 70816 Benny’s Spaceship, Spaceship, SPACESHIP!). The propulsion engines are more detailed and the overall look of the spaceship is less studded and the wing tips are completely tiled. The cockpit is equipped with various consoles, and there are also different consoles and sleeping quarters in the crew area. Also the Classic Space logo and "LL928" will be printed. As with the original, the rear section can be folded out to the left and right, revealing a small rover exploration vehicle. The crew of the LEGO 10497 Galaxy Explorer consists of four astronauts, two in white and two in red Classic Space suits. Stonewars also mentions a small brick-built robot. The set consist of 1254 parts and will most likely not be LEGO exclusive and retail for 109.99 €.

• Set number: 10497
  • Name: Galaxy Explorer
  • Piece count: 1254
  • Number of minifigures: 4 (2 red and 2 white Classic Spacemen)
  • Release date: August 1 2022
  • Availability: LEGO
  • Price: 109.99 99.99 Euro
  • Size: W = 32 cm (12.6"), L = 52.5 cm (20.7")

Official images:

lego-10497-galaxy-explorer-2-1.jpg
lego-10497-galaxy-explorer-5-1.jpg

Edited by R0Sch
updates, official pics

Sounds pretty awesome! It's great to hear that it will include features like sleeping quarters for the crew — features and details like that which would be a low priority for more action-driven playsets  are the sort of thing that I feel really elevates a set like this above the sort of KFOL-targeted sets that inspired it.

The lack of any sort of landscaping is a bit of a bummer, though — I feel like today's LEGO designers would be more than capable of creating an awesome brick-built lunar landscape without having to rely on a specialized raised baseplate, especially in a "premium" set targeted at older builders.

But given what a good job LEGO has done on some of their other classic theme throwbacks like Pirates of Barracuda Bay (and how many great LEGO designers are themselves huge fans of classic themes), I have pretty high hopes for how this set will turn out! Hopefully as more details emerge they will continue to impress!

I don’t mean to be a backseat mod, but there’s already a Eurobricks discussion of the new Galaxy Explorer here. Can a friendly mod please merge the two?

By the way, it’s worth getting out a tape measure as I did this evening to get a firm idea of what 52 x 32cm really means. It’s huge, dwarfing the original!

Edited by AmperZand

I just got a question, Has Lego Group said anything  officilly about this?

Now, who is this Von Max Börnicke? Is he an official spokesman for Lego Group? Does he has solid evidence to sustain what he is posting?
I´ve read the whole article, there's nothing saying Lego released this info... or Lego has officially said this.... or acording to a Lego announcement... Doesn't even says the word "rumor".
Either this guy broke inside Lego group designing department or this is fake news like the 11022.

3 hours ago, Operacion Saturno said:

I just got a question, Has Lego Group said anything  officilly about this?

Now, who is this Von Max Börnicke? Is he an official spokesman for Lego Group? Does he has solid evidence to sustain what he is posting?
I´ve read the whole article, there's nothing saying Lego released this info... or Lego has officially said this.... or acording to a Lego announcement... Doesn't even says the word "rumor".
Either this guy broke inside Lego group designing department or this is fake news like the 11022.

Nevermind. I´ve been told already by AFOLs about this page. 
"Promobticks has an excellent track record and are extremely reliable. The set may as well be confirmed if they're talking about it"
"Promobricks is considered one of the most reliable sources for leaks. That said, it's never official until it comes from TLG"

This would be a day one purchase for me. :D

@AmperZand Why do you need a merger? It's not my fault people are still discussing on the general rumors and speculations page AFTER I specifically separated the topic to have all the facts in one place. Besides, after the rumors are officially confirmed, this would be the page to post the set pictures and voice your opinions about it.

And for the non-believers out there, you can bet this set is more than a rumor, if blogs with reliable track record already know details that they can describe or even make sketches of.

@R0Sch, By convention, threads that cover the same topic are combined. Otherwise, the discussion becomes messy, duplicated and hard to follow.

An alternative would be to have the discussion here, but not in the other thread. I wouldn’t have a problem with that as long as there isn’t more than one thread about 10497.

I wonder if the minifigures in this set will have the classic simple minifigure faces.

As 40567 Forest Hideout comes with modern minifigure faces, I expect 10305 Lion Queen's Castle to use them too. 21322 Pirates of Barracuda Bay also came with updated minifigures.

I like these reimagined minifigures a lot, but the classic space minifigures with classic smiley faces are so iconic I can't imagine them to come with modern faces.

9 hours ago, Wesley D said:

I wonder if the minifigures in this set will have the classic simple minifigure faces.

As 40567 Forest Hideout comes with modern minifigure faces, I expect 10305 Lion Queen's Castle to use them too. 21322 Pirates of Barracuda Bay also came with updated minifigures.

I like these reimagined minifigures a lot, but the classic space minifigures with classic smiley faces are so iconic I can't imagine them to come with modern faces.

There is a good chance that they will come with the classic faces as it's basically part of their uniform at this point.

2014 Spaceman promotion set, Benny's Space Squad and the Orange Space figure had smiley faces.

(Benny obviously being the named one-off unique blue space fig with cracked helm/scratched torso and big smile)

I think it'd be weird for LEGO to divert from smiley here.

Exo suit followed the figure face from the original submission, and CMF also used a visored helm so not really "classic" in the same sense.

Unlike Forestmen and Pirate sets, this Classic Spaceship came from an era with only Smiley faces, while Pirates and later Castle sets (late 80s) introduced a lot more face prints.

1989/1990 was a turning point, and most of Pirates/Castle since then used a mix of faces, mainly beard/moustache or a lipstick face. Space started to get new face prints after 1992 with Space Police 2 having headsets, and then unique faces for 1993 iceplanet, and 1994 unitron/spyrius further adding more heads, including the first robot/non yellow head.

Edited by TeriXeri

They just revealed it a little while ago at LEGO Con.  It looks fantastic!  Super faithful to the original set, but with some modern twists (I think my favorite detail is the buggy using modern red wheels in place of the old red wheels with studs on them).

Just seen it on Lego con and it’s a thing of beauty. Like the way they showed you can build modern versions of all 3 original ships. I hope they include all as instructions or they’ve missed a trick. Definitely a day 1 purchase!

LEGO-Icons-90th-Anniversary-10497-Galaxy

https://www.brothers-brick.com/2022/06/18/lego-reveals-10305-lion-knights-castle-and-10497-galaxy-explorer-as-throwback-sets-for-90th-anniversary-news/#more-350744

20 hours ago, Seasider said:

Just seen it on Lego con and it’s a thing of beauty. Like the way they showed you can build modern versions of all 3 original ships. I hope they include all as instructions or they’ve missed a trick. Definitely a day 1 purchase!

52157582393_7c17a676fb_b.jpg

Edited by dtomsen

That looks beautiful, I'm definitely getting one or two of them. They even have that robot from the XT-5 and Droid set, and I see a bunch of the classic printed compters in it. I was kind of hoping we would get a new trans windscreen though.

I've been pondering for ages it should be possible to sit 2 astronauts next to one another underneath that canopy, and now the LEGO designers just went and did it! Well done!

The build looks at the same time sleek and massive (the wings compared to the back of the craft). But that's no surprise seeing what it was modeled after. Love those added interior details, the canted fuselage of the crew spaces and aal those extra bells and whistles like turnable vernier thrusters and removable engines, not to mention the back ramp 

A purchase for sure 

All the 6-wide windscreens generally allow for that. I did it in this moc and the Speed Champions sets do it too.

That's a gorgeous model. The build techniques almost look MOC-like. I was afraid that this updated model would look too similar to Benny's Spaceship but it doesn't. I love the retro consoles used on the inside of the ship and I don't have any red spacemen so that'll be a nice addition to my collection. Overall, this looks to be an amazing set and I might add it to my August 1st shopping list. If not, I'll get it eventually. We will see.

Wow, I can't wait to get this! The details are stunning, but my favorite ones are the brick built arrow, and the use of buckets as the triple engine part. Will likely wait a bit before preordering this, but who knows?

And it's Mr. Wobbly Droid from SPACE! the Webcomic!

EKnight

Edited by Elephant Knight

I showed this to someone who got the original as a gift back when the first Classic Space sets were in stores, instantly recognized it.

I'm glad LEGO didn't go too far with making it too "neo", it's scaled up and more sleek but it still has the crucial details, and some possibly some new features (landing feet look retractable).

All those computer screens in both cockpit sections really finish the style as well, and are gems for MOCcing.

No Landing pad or Radar base, but I'm 100% okay with that in this case.

Edited by TeriXeri