Hello,

I recently acquired a number of new Technic sets (42100, 42128, 42125 being the largest) and I am now going through the process of parting them out into my collection. The problem I have now is that I have so many panels, most of which are quite big, I can no longer store them effectively in my current small storage bins. Before I go and upgrade my storage system, I wanted some feedback/advice from some of you that happen to have large collections, about the best way to store panels. Do you sort them out, are they all in one tub? What works best?

Thanks,

- Leo

I just store all my panels in zip lock bags (sorted by panel type - all different colours of the same panel are in the same bag - left and rights have there own bag), then they just all sit in a Sian box that I kept. The zip lock bags in the skinny middle section contain rigid hoses/soft axles. Its cheap, simple enough for me to find what I want, and I can just throw the whole box in a cupboard when not building.

IMG-7107.jpg

I have rectangular panel plates in one box, triangular panels in two boxes (left and right), and the rest of the panels in another box. The last one I will have to split into more boxes soon, perhaps with fender-type panels in one and the rest in another or something along those lines.

In the end it comes to how many parts you have, as increasing the number of non-identical pieces in the same box makes searching harder and at some point you want to split them.

One large box, panels mainly sorted by color in ziplock bags. I don't have really large collection. 

6 hours ago, Carsten Svendsen said:

Just large sistema boxes really. There's a divider for straight vs modified panels, and a box each for large and small wings

zNs63KJ.jpg

Agreed.  This system.  The benefits of this system (which I do as well) is that you can pretty much see what you need, and panels are large enough that for the most part, they cannot hid from you if all combined together in one tote.  You can just look through the transparent plastic and then fish out what you need.  

I had a similar problem a while ago. I started disassembling a lot of the cars that I got bored of, which of course resulted in a LOT of parts that now needed to fit somewhere in my already full sorting system. I also have way too many panels to ever use, but I've found a system that works for me. These drawers came from Aldi (German grocery store) for dirt cheap: €8 each. All my panels and soft axles are stored in these. In the past I had most of them sorted in ice cream bins. However these took up too much space and eventually became full. 

800x383.jpeg

As you can see, I've sorted them by size and also separated the left and right sides. Also a random sticker for no real reason :laugh: 
Panels that don't have a left or right side just get their own drawer, or if it's too much they'll go into a bigger one such as the wheelarches, 3x7 curved panels and 3x13/3x15 tapered curved panels. 

Spoiler

640x480.JPEG

640x480.JPEG

640x480.JPEG

Edited by LvdH

14 minutes ago, astyanax said:

@pleegwat@LvdH Don't they get dusty in those open bins?

Possibly, but I really haven’t noticed it. If so it’s not difficult to clean them.

4 hours ago, astyanax said:

@pleegwat@LvdH Don't they get dusty in those open bins?

Not really, And simply handling a piece when you are about to use it tends to knock off most dust.

14 minutes ago, pleegwat said:

Not really, And simply handling a piece when you are about to use it tends to knock off most dust.

Ah so the solution is to build often! :grin:

I keep the panels in two closed bins, a medium one for smaller panels and a large one for the big panels. It's not an elegant sorting system but I never have trouble when trying to find a specific panel.

Thanks for all the input! I think for now, especially with moving from university to home and trying find my own apartment & a job, I'll be doing @langko's Ziplock bags in a tub until I have the time/space for a more permanent solution. 

I use Plano type boxes, 3700 series which come in several configurations. They are dust free and easily stack like drawers in "modular utility box wire racks". Unfortunately, because of  Covid19, they are harder than hens teeth to find these days.

IMG_5427.JPG

I also use Lego education bins for larger items. I stack them in shelves or on roller bases which can go under a table.

IMG_5426.JPG      

I also use plastic cabinets with clear drawers on rollers. They are not so dust free.

IMG_4819.JPG

5 hours ago, 1963maniac said:

I use Plano type boxes, 3700 series which come in several configurations.

I also use Plano bins for my smaller parts, but they are impossible to find, and I haven't found large enough ones yet to store all my panels.

6 hours ago, 1963maniac said:

I use Plano type boxes, 3700 series which come in several configurations.

as an avid user of the akro mills style drawer systems, lately ive been starting to see the benefits of the tacklebox trays. I was however looking at trays that have the removeable containers that snap into a grid, this seemed to be a hybrid of the two options. Had never considered having them stacked up into racks though so each tray is then accessible which i think is the game changer here. I like that i can currently get any piece with just one drawer touch but having all pieces of a similar type right there in the open closer to the build seems good also. Just not sure i want to commit to such a change 

I put all panel in one big plastic bin(this bin is include also all bucket and large helicopter rotor blades too). But recently I separate small panel(2x5 triangle and 2x3 extension) to other zipper lock bag with 3x7 small mudguard because this are hard to find between large panels.

But some day, I will buy lot of plastic drawers and put my all parts in there.

Edited by msk6003

I store my collection in compartmentalized wooden boxes, as in the pic. The panels are stocked, depending on their shape and the possiblity of pile them. I do like that because I don't have a dedicated room for Lego, so in this way, I'm able to move the boxes of I need to. Nevertheless, I have to say that, when getting a new set with lots of panels, it's a pain in the **s, but it's the best option I have found!

800x1067.jpg

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

Edited by HectorMB

I store them in transparent plastic boxes with a lid. Also, I connect left+right versions with one or two black pins. Makes searching and finding easier, especially with stickered panels.

10 hours ago, karmadrome said:

I connect left+right versions with one or two black pins.

Genius idea!

On 5/23/2022 at 7:55 PM, HectorMB said:

I store my collection in compartmentalized wooden boxes, as in the pic.

I have a very similar storage system to yours, except I could not find compartmentalized boxes with good bin sizes (not to mention affordable ones), so I decided to make them out of cardboard. I recently reached a state where panels are becoming a pain as they take up a lot of space, but I guess I'll just have to make more boxes with large bins. As you said, they are easy to move around, and even look okay when you don't have a separate lego room and want your room to look tidy :)

I used a wood box that has standard measures here,  and then I compartimentalize it according to the pieces that I am going to store. The problem that indeed I have now is that I am running out of the storage inside the closet I have... and probably my wife will just kill me if I start to invade more areas of the house jejeje...

Ikea Moppe drawers are just over 11 studs high. Perfect for storing "those" panels upright. The drawers are a good size to just chuck the curved panels in and rummage for what you need. The bigger unit has three different drawer sizes to suit individual collections. I use them as bins for storing liftarms too.