22 hours ago, Weil said:

The box in the image above says "18 years & up" :wacko: While no doubt many of these will end up in the hands of AFOLs, does TLG really not recommend this set for under 18s? It's based on a set that was recommended for ages 7-12. :rofl:.  Is this meant to be some sort of in-joke?

It's basically just a marketing tactic — as I understand it, LEGO found that there are a lot of adults out there who are more likely to buy sets if they're clearly labeled as "sets for adults" in some way. As irrational as it is, I definitely realize there are a lot of adults are still weirdly insecure about liking stuff they perceive as "kid stuff" — whereas kids and teens with a lot of building experience don't tend to have nearly as many misgivings about buying sets labeled with a higher age bracket. So I guess this way, kids still get to feel "cool" and "grown-up" for enjoying these sets, whereas adults who still take the recommended age labels super seriously for some reason don't have to feel weird or childish for enjoying them.

Plus, especially now that LEGO has stopped putting an upper cap on sets' age recommendations entirely, I suppose some adults might misinterpret even Kingdoms Joust's 12+ recommended age label to mean "for big kids" (as opposed to more typical sets "for little kids"), and not realize that sets like that are intended for older builders in general, including adults.

5 hours ago, brimbolet said:

Why for heaven's sake did they have to make the small black Castle System writing beneath the set description in the left corner. It absolutely ruins the perfect proportions of the otherwise nice nod to the vintage box art.

That's the way the American boxes were labeled back in the day — the banner in the corner said "LEGOLAND Castle System", rather than just "LEGOLAND" like on the European boxes. The European boxes also put the recommended age range in small text on the side of the box, rather than in large text on the front. The words "Castle System" were more centered on the classic box art, but I figure the indentation here is probably meant to make it clear that it's not a part of the set's name.

I can't help but wonder whether LEGO will produce separate American and European versions of this set's box art, or stick to just one version since it's a promotional item. I guess it's only a few days until we know for sure!

Edited by Aanchir

20 minutes ago, Aanchir said:

That's the way the American boxes were labeled back in the day — the banner in the corner said "LEGOLAND Castle System", rather than just "LEGOLAND" like on the European boxes. The European boxes also put the recommended age range in small text on the side of the box, rather than in large text on the front. The words "Castle System" were more centered on the classic box art, but I figure the indentation here is probably meant to make it clear that it's not a part of the set's name.

Thank you for this information; didn't know there had been differences in box art even back then. But a quick look on google shows that the castle system writing was in the center beneath Legoland and much more agreeable to look at.

9 minutes ago, brimbolet said:

Thank you for this information; didn't know there had been differences in box art even back then. But a quick look on google shows that the castle system writing was in the center beneath Legoland and much more agreeable to look at.

Happy to help! I wouldn't have known this either if I hadn't learned it from other folks online — I'm a 90s kid, so I grew up in the "LEGO System" era of boxes color-coded by theme (Yellow-orange for Castle, black for Space, purple for Pirates, blue for Town, etc), rather than the "LEGOLAND" era of boxes with yellow sides and banners.

Most of my childhood exposure to the old LEGOLAND-era boxes was from a container crane set at my grandparents' house, since they kept the parts stored in the original box for kids like me to play with whenever we came to visit. I forget which of my mom's siblings it had belonged to originally, and while my memory's a bit foggy, it might've even been one of the European-style boxes! My mom has often told me about how she and her siblings had never seen LEGO until her parents brought it back as a gift from a trip to Germany, since it hadn't caught on as widely yet in the US at that point as it had in Europe.

16 hours ago, Triceron said:

Thanks for the backorder info, that might be a gamechanger for me.

I was contemplating on the Bonsai or not (on backorder) for parts to enhance my Forest sets.  

Think I'll get the monkie kid fruit mountain or the air castle. the bonsai tree is easily available almost at -50% for me but the monkie kids sets only at the official site. 

9 minutes ago, unclejeffie said:

Think I'll get the monkie kid fruit mountain or the air castle. the bonsai tree is easily available almost at -50% for me but the monkie kids sets only at the official site. 

Bonsai Tree is on backorder here in Canada on Lego store, I guess it's a popular item.  It's been out for a while so I'm surprised it's even sold out now, I remember seeing it months ago on the shelves and didn't think much about it.

Monkie Kid Fruit Mountain is a great set.  I was lucky and picked one up on sale on Amazon.ca on Black Friday for $149 CAD (reg $249).  Amazon messed up my order tracking, and they ended up sending me two.  I still haven't gotten around to opening or building it yet though, I need a lot more space to be able to display that one.  The Heavenly Realm set is on my radar, I just wish it came out earlier so I didn't have to get a bunch of random sets for this GWP.

6 hours ago, Triceron said:

Bonsai Tree is on backorder here in Canada on Lego store, I guess it's a popular item.  It's been out for a while so I'm surprised it's even sold out now, I remember seeing it months ago on the shelves and didn't think much about it.

Monkie Kid Fruit Mountain is a great set.  I was lucky and picked one up on sale on Amazon.ca on Black Friday for $149 CAD (reg $249).  Amazon messed up my order tracking, and they ended up sending me two.  I still haven't gotten around to opening or building it yet though, I need a lot more space to be able to display that one.  The Heavenly Realm set is on my radar, I just wish it came out earlier so I didn't have to get a bunch of random sets for this GWP.

Fruit Flower Mountain is such a great set.  You will love the build and it's such a nice display piece.  It is quite large and the play features are nice.  You could make it really huge with the 2 sets you have or just keep one in the box.  

Seems nuts to spend $72 on eBay.  If the set alone is worth that much to you why not spend another $78 on the LEGO website and get $150 worth of stuff for $78.  To each his own I guess.

4 hours ago, Black Feather said:

Seems nuts to spend $72 on eBay.  If the set alone is worth that much to you why not spend another $78 on the LEGO website and get $150 worth of stuff for $78.  To each his own I guess.

I totally agree with this.  I can meet the minimum very easily with sets currently on my wishlist.  They aren't all sets I really want to pay full price for but when there's a GWP I really want like this one I can usually come up with enough to qualify. Hoping they stay in stock so I don't have to buy any of the Harry Potter sets yet as I'm planning to wait to buy those next month when the Harry Potter GWP is offered.

5 hours ago, Black Feather said:

It's because it's not available yet. And there are some people in the work willing to pay over the odds for access to something early. In this case could well be reviewers wanting to release their content before anyone else. That can have a big impact on hits, and therefore revenue for them.

1 hour ago, RichardGoring said:

It's because it's not available yet. And there are some people in the work willing to pay over the odds for access to something early. In this case could well be reviewers wanting to release their content before anyone else. That can have a big impact on hits, and therefore revenue for them.

How can they receive such a GWP if not even the ebay sellers have it yet?

8 minutes ago, GeoBrick said:

How can they receive such a GWP if not even the ebay sellers have it yet?

There are usually a few that leak out. A store employee gets one, or LEGO affiliate stores get then early. Maybe someone from the factory has a couple or a mistake in shipping an order by LEGO. the point is, the price is super high now because you can't get it any other way and there are limited numbers available. The price will very likely decrease once it goes on general release later this week.

5 and a half hours to go. Do I stay up till midnight or hope there's some left in morning?

48 minutes ago, JamesBenjamin said:

For the USA, is it midnight eastern time?

Correct. I live in Central Time, so I get on around 11 pm or just after.

Wish we had the 3-1 Viking ship, can only think of stocking up on the Medieval Castle or Blacksmith for this GWP.

48 minutes ago, dilligan said:

Server was a bit busy at first, but it looks like I got me 1. Aussie threshold is $209

Forgot all about it - was just going to bed and saw your post which reminded me. Thanks.

For reference to those asking earlier - I spent my $209 in a combination of PAB Standard, PAB Best Seller, BAM, and a couple of cheap sets. Just hit the threshold and it qualified for the GWP. So it looks like both Pick A Brick and BAM qualify for the promo.

it keeps telling me i get the aston martin gift,...

oh i was reading the post wrong gotta wait 12 hours

Bah, I already pulled the trigger on Optimus Prime, thinking he'd sell out, and now I'm seeing most of the other sets I want aren't available until August. Now I gotta figure out what to buy just for this GWP...probably something with cool windscreens or new mech joints. Or maybe I should just get some Friends sets since that's obviously the best theme right now. 😁