Sign in to follow this  
JoKo

[MOC] Group B Rally Madness #1/ Lancia 037 Corsa

y4mVrKL-SVMlDZXEItCpFqwQU-0-QuPQbmD6LUny

Hi! I started recently a serie of rally cars based on 1982-1986 Group B models. ll started with this top gear video: full episode if you have time

And a 2min sample:

So I started with the Lancia 037, the last 2WD winning car. (I think i's a beauty)

Scale is ~1:13  the tires are 43.2x14 front and 43.2x22 rear for good traction. The car is just under 30cm long.

Features:

- fake inline 4 engine with chain driven "camshaft", compressor, intercooler, air filter, exhaust

- RWD with differential

- 4 wheels suspention, independent front and live axle rear. suspension is provided with 1 rubber technic piece for each wheel

- Discreet HOG: the HOG axle is paralell to seat's back, the HOG knob is hidden in the engine bay when not used. It pictures the air filter

- Quite sturdy and playable, lightly detailed interior with central rear view mirror

y4muYERbOxGss9j210m04LeshviCBwdiQfXwYatj

y4m5K7cLqmLw1NpG99PhTOL-BDtlVHuU5v8KLpE5

y4mRTx5BZ13b7zZAeg-BlZky9vOmMbccyprCVAim

y4miOqGXAuShuciWHXj3wcEM-PTw-kQ4hOG_nQd2

y4mIuvZM6CfpbX0kJaoL0Jxe3OBBok5jwor9LTQ-y4mnIoKymyEU7bYcaFnACp4ph31o79swwo3hae2s

y4mI-1nxTiYPi4lZ4yD5_7yMWaL9V_4e-waYgU26y4mzuUAheDDirDt3ICtNTTFIaKgiqwoyfb79JYPh

y4miUSU7SH5EX9b40zcB_MngrQbeisxvJcXgBisdy4m3b3sLWlL6uxUqa5-ATGevuU0io-BRtrLldrbt

If you liked it stay tuned, more to come!

Absolutely brilliant! Nice details in this compact scale.

Wicked! Are you making as many group b cars as possible? Easily the best era in rallying!

40 minutes ago, MinusAndy said:

Wicked! Are you making as many group b cars as possible? Easily the best era in rallying!

Exactly, for now I made 3.5 of them. But it was mostly 4WD so many differentials are needed. I stick to the same scale with 43.2 wheels.

Group B was incredible! Crazy cars an safety third! It stopped for a good reason.

Because all my models start from wheels, I use this tool to gain desired proportions.

The reason for sentence above is that it looks like tires are to small for 1:13 scale; tires of that rally cars had some 640mm diameter and 43.2 tires give some 1:15 scale. 

Very nice details BTW :blush:

2 hours ago, 1gor said:

Because all my models start from wheels, I use this tool to gain desired proportions.

The reason for sentence above is that it looks like tires are to small for 1:13 scale; tires of that rally cars had some 640mm diameter and 43.2 tires give some 1:15 scale. 

Thanks for the link! seems to be full of useful legotechnician tools.

Yeah, exact scale is not what I am lookin for at this scale. If the model is pretty and recognisable I am happy with it.

Your point is interresting, it makes me think about my process. I usualy print a basic blueprint with wheels at scale and because of Technic limitations I often have to push things on the large side. Because Technics can't reproduce reality (pivot point, wheelarch thickness, geometry) it's nearly impossible to be perfectly on scale.

But I will systematicly have tiny wheels if I dont change my process. I'll keep that in mind for larger scale

Edit 1/2h later: What an idiot I am, I answered before trying slightly larger wheels. and guess what! It fits 49.5 x 20 and what a rally look! sadly for display only, the front don't have clearance for playing

So new pictures tomorow I guess...

Thanks for the tip!

Edited by JoKo

18 minutes ago, Pato Sentado said:

Really love it!!!

That's how small Technic car sets should be!!!

Yeah... but would be 20-30$ more expensive with basic estimation. 800-900 pieces

17 hours ago, 1gor said:

Alright, now some pic with biger wheels, how does it feel to you eye?

y4msX9DpBNY2vcio_2UYzh1MOZjLrXsU_EDOZ0wD

y4mNu-0pH_aM7t2pISoFHjOF9HKEhiYMRK0E2uHu

On 5/20/2022 at 4:28 PM, 1gor said:

Honestly it looks much better

I totally agree! And what is seen can't be unseen. Now it looks out of scale on every picture for me! :pir-bawling:

Check tire diameter and model dimensions if it fits the scale

nice build! what walther röhrl did with the rwd lancia vs the 4wd audis was insane. some guy at audi said it was more expensive to try to compete against him than to hire him as a driver.