Hello everyone!

I just put my hands on a Mindstorms 51515 set, which I am enjoying a lot :). One of the major stepbacks that were pointed out when comparing the 31313 and the 51515 is that the old one can make daisy chain and connect up to 4 EV3 bricks together, while the newest version seemed to be incapable at that moment. Nevertheless, it seems that, at least in a beta version, it would be possible to connect at least 2 hubs via bluetooth, or at least the option is there. Has someone tried? I just have one of these sets and I cannot try that. How it went?

Also, i just made some tests of compatibility between the C+ hub and the Mindstorms hub in terms of managing the motors and sensors. It seems that both angular motors, medium and big, works fine in both hubs. unfortunately, the C+ motors don't have that trait and they remain invisible to the Mindstorms hub. The same thing applies to the color-distance sensor of the technic hub when connected to the mindstorms hub, and, resversely, the Mindstorm sensors do not retrieve anything to the technic hub. Has someone figured out if there is any solution for this? If not, does someone know if TLG has some intention to implement those compatibility issues?

Edited by HectorMB

I have played with 51515 hubs quite a bit and used hub2hub communication extensively.  It works but I have found problems when stressing them.  In my robotic arm, I actually have 4 hubs talking to each other.  In that setup, one of the hubs crashes hard within a minute.

as for compatibility with motors, I have used C+ large and small linear motors and small, medium, and large angular motors (Spike Prime, Mindstorms, and C+) successfully with the 51515 and Spike Prime hubs all with the Mindstorms software. This hasn’t always been the case.  They have fixed compatibility with software updates over time.  The small angular motors from Spike Essentials still doesn’t ave a proper icon in the app but does appear to work. I have used the color sensor and force sensor (which comes with Spike Prime) successfully.

I haven’t done much testing the other direction using the C+ hub.

Thanks! I will re-try this afternoon with the linear motors and see if I did something wrong! ;)

14 hours ago, joeh said:

Is this software of any use for hub to hub communication?

https://github.com/NStrijbosch/hub2hub

It is, indeed! I will dig a little into it, since if a single mindstorms block can handle few technic hubs at the same time it could be quite useful for big constructions. Thanks!