Dav1d

9V motor post 'lockdown'

I was at my first LEGO train show for over two years. After lying in a box unused for this period one of my 9V motors didn't work. For the last 30 years I have never had any problem with them.

Today I have set it up at home on a circle of track and after giving it a push, it eventually has got round the track and now runs slowly with a 'chugging' sound.

Does it need oiling or cleaning or something? I have never taken it apart so am reluctant to do that.

9 hours ago, Dav1d said:

I have never taken it apart so am reluctant to do that

I am afraid that there is no other way of figuring out, what is going on. You did check the visible cables/contacts, right?

• Contacts may be corroded
  • Motor may be bad
  • PTC (the thermistor preventing overheating) may be bad
  • Other things my have gone bad

For each issue listed, opening the case and have a look/or report here how it looks, is the only way I can see. And I also believe, that there are good chances to fix it.

Best
Thorsten 

Cannot see any visible cables/contacts.

Bit frightened to take the motor apart. These look like the best tutorials.

10153 9v train motor engine disassembly — Brickset Forum

Repair Guide to Lego 9v Motor Sputtering (funnyjunk.com)

The first says you can take it apart using tooth picks rather than cutting the tabs - are there any photos or videos of this?

Is there any other advice. 

The latter is perfect. I have done this tens of times. You don't damage the motor at all; after cutting the tabs, you can attach the base securely without any problem. It will stick perfectly in place.

Just use a really sharp blade. These work really well - you can extend the blade quite a bit to get a nice angle - and you have good control/force. Other makes will work as well:

https://www.amazon.de/Stanley-werkzeugloser-Klingenwechsel-Klingenschieber-1-10-018/dp/B0044DA7IY/ref=asc_df_B0044DA7IY/?tag=googshopde-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=256186769257&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=6753153843899227286&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9043889&hvtargid=pla-421247820682&psc=1&th=1&psc=1

Best,
Thorsten 

It might be a good Idea to practice cutting on some other plastic thing before attempting on the motor itself. 

Tried running the motor again this morning before cutting - ran perfectly.

I have a number of 9V motors and run different ones - some must be run more than others, some must hardly ever be run - I have never experienced this before.

Did find this with 12V - they ned a push to get them going if they have not been used for a while.

Thanks for your help.

Good to hear the motor is working again. Another debugging technique is to power it from the 9v port on the top instead of using the tracks. That bypasses any potential contact problems with the wheels.