StephenBoe

[MOC] RZ-2 A-Wing (Blue and Red) - Instructions available

Hello! this is my first actual moc post here, and hopefully far from the last. :classic: I hope you all enjoy this Resistance A-Wing design!

I must give a big shoutout to Gumbinger, as a few elements are lifted from his RZ-2 design. I borrowed the general dimensions, the conical-shaped front deflector shield generators, but most notably the engine designs are almost exactly the same. I lowered the height of the top fins, but otherwise, I thought everything about his engine design was too good not to use.

This design was the result of about a few weeks worth of first building in stud.io and then some back and forth of testing in real bricks and revising. Compared to the RZ-1, the RZ-2 has a lot more subtle, smoother and straighter angles. The angles coming from the front of the RZ-1 are slightly curved and round out at about the front of the cockpit, with the top and bottom surfaces becoming seemingly parallel with each other. With the RZ-2, the angles taper back from the front very evenly back past the cockpit, without ever really rounding out. This gives the side silhouette a very sharp triangular look, and it's one of the things I wanted to capture most. I feel like it turned out pretty well!

52072798075_b477e6cb75_b.jpg

52072548084_aebc138226_k.jpg

52071273027_251de1e7d2_k.jpg

52072324211_17faa4551b_k.jpg

The green markings on the red one stick out in an unfortunate way, I really had no idea how to incorporate them more smoothly into the design. They sit right on top of the old style 1x2 finger hinges. If I liked it less, it would be easy to remove the markings and just continue the white tiling. 

A small thing but I'm only just now noticing that the red 1x1 tile on the ship's left lower fin should be dark red, not white :iamded_lol:

52072324181_ac13d5c5ff_k.jpg

52072324151_389a2e4780_k.jpg

52072324061_6c9d8aadd0_k.jpg

52071272787_c571555c17_k.jpg

There are definitely a few areas that really could use improvement. Ideally, the panels on the middle sides of the ship could be stronger and easier to put together. It's not totally fragile or unswooshable but I don't love that area's construction either. There's also a good few gaps here and there, I feel like the part directly behind the windscreen could be more smoothly rounded, that area was surprisingly hard. I'm happy to accept all these flaws and just call this a version 1. After a while I'd like to come back and try to revisit all the problem areas in a version 2. 

Hope you enjoyed the model! :laugh:

If you're interested in buying instructions and parts lists, check out this flickr post for details.

Edited by StephenBoe
New information about instructions

As much as I hate the new movies - I love your designs - very nicely done.

Welcome to the MOC Club - hope to see you around more often. :)

May have to steal your laser cannon design for my TIE Defender project.

1 hour ago, Kage Goomba said:

As much as I hate the new movies - I love your designs - very nicely done.

Welcome to the MOC Club - hope to see you around more often. :)

May have to steal your laser cannon design for my TIE Defender project.

Thanks very much! I've got a resistance y-wing in the works as well :)

17 minutes ago, StephenBoe said:

Look forward to it!

Feel free to share your feedback on my projects - always happy to learn from others. :)

Looks wonderful. I've never been a fan of the sequels but this is one of my favorite designs for a ship from the new trilogy. :classic:

1 hour ago, MAVERICK26 said:

Looks wonderful. I've never been a fan of the sequels but this is one of my favorite designs for a ship from the new trilogy. :classic:

Much appreciated! :D

10 hours ago, StephenBoe said:

Can't wait to see it!

The A-Wing looks really good! you captured the subtle shape perfectly. 

Edited by MBricks
Spelling :)

13 hours ago, LEGODrongo01 said:

Very nice A-Wing, good to see some ST era builds

13 hours ago, MBricks said:

Can't wait to see it!

The A-Wing looks really good! you captured the subtle shape perfectly. 

Thank you guys so much! :3

This looks great. I would definitely build this if you were inclined to share/sell a file/instructions.

12 hours ago, Feuer Zug said:

Nicely done. Your A-Wing looks good and has the right level of details.

9 hours ago, Geihlen said:

This looks great. I would definitely build this if you were inclined to share/sell a file/instructions.

Thank you both. :) 

I'm interested in making instructions but I have zero prior experience so it may be a while for them. Fortunately the ship isn't that big.

Edited by StephenBoe

A very sleek A-Wing! Love the different color variations.

On 5/22/2022 at 2:58 AM, Aliencat said:

Rad! That's a very sleek build!

Thanks!

Btw for those who are interested, I've now made instructions and parts-lists for the model. If interested, check out this flickr post for details. :)

25 minutes ago, StephenBoe said:

Thanks!

Btw for those who are interested, I've now made instructions and parts-lists for the model. If interested, check out this flickr post for details. :)

I'll be happy to QA your instructions if you want....as we've been talking at length in private on discord. :D

3 hours ago, StephenBoe said:

Thanks!

Look them over - great techniques - quite the clever design. Def. gave me some things to consider in the future for sure. :)