Presenting another of my Danish State Railways’ (DSB) trains redesigned to 8-wide and digitally rendered (with a bonus livery)...

DSB IC3

The Danish State Railways’ (DSB) highly successful and innovative InterCity 3 aka IC3 passenger train was co-developed by Siemens -Duewag in Germany and ABB Scandia in Denmark.

The train is operated by DSB in Denmark and Sweden, by Renfe Operadora in Spain and by Israel Railways in Israel.
Amtrak in the USA and Via Rail in Canada have tested the train in the past.

A trainset consists of three units; two diesel motor units (Litra MFA and Litra MFB) and one intermediary unit (Litra FF).

Up to five trainsets can be coupled together.

96 trainset were built for DSB from 1989 to 1991.

All are still in service today.

My model:

Original white and red livery used from 1989 to 2002.

Fictionally named “Jørgen Vig” with the crest of Billund added.

Scale: 1:48
Length: 157 studs (MFA: 55 – FF: 47 – MFB 55) or approx. 122 cm
Width: 8 studs
Bricks: 2.948 (MFA: 1.040 – FF: 861 – MFB 1.047)
Locomotion: 2 x 9v or 2 x PF/PUP train motors
Power: 9v, 2 x LEGO AAA battery boxes or 2 x BuWizz battery boxes
Control: 9v, PUP, SBrick, PFx Brick or BuWizz
Designed: 2022

Conversion of my 7-wide model from 2017 to 8-wide with more accurate dimensions.

Very high setting render from Stud.io with custom decals added in the PartDesigner tool.

52057477631_150ceeb540_b.jpg

51841484953_5d499ba48b_b.jpg

Its able to navigate R40 but looks rather silly doing so:

51848257766_e142d6b791_b.jpg

Interior with seats for 83 minifigs:

51848319903_794fc9f8aa_b.jpg

Decorative side design for the bogies - a combination of parts and the molded decorative side for train motors:

The coupling part can be change to a Liftarm Thin 1x7 (BL#32065) when combining several trainsets.

51851154254_f6b5fd8972_b.jpg

Technique used for the sliding doors:

Removing the 1 x 4 Tile as shown enables the door to slide open as a play feature.

52056346543_b46e420949_b.jpg

The fixed outer doors are a necessary part of the construction otherwise the very long body breaks too easily due to the roof being removable.

However, they are designed to be rebuilt open when needed and the trainset stationary on display:

52067710897_0ab3d3719e_b.jpg

The trainset is (fictionally) named Jørgen Vig with the crest of Billund added:

51848696345_b5be11e1b5.jpg

Free building instructions:

Option 1: https://open-l-gauge.eu/dsb-ic3/
Option 2: https://snakebyte.dk/lego/instructions/trains/diesel_engines/dsb_ic3_(8_wide)/index.php

Bonus livery:

Livery when Amtrak tested the IC3 Flexliner DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit ) in 1997:

52065633064_93677d3d98_b.jpg

Edited by dtomsen

On 5/13/2022 at 9:16 AM, dtomsen said:

Its able to navigate R40 but just barely and would look rather silly tho:

Just because it can doesn't mean it should :grin:

52086882238_5c2d16e0a4_b.jpg

2 hours ago, dtomsen said:

made my day thanks xD

4 hours ago, dtomsen said:

Just because it can doesn't mean it should

Made my day as well - and these are 9V R40's! Not the plastic stuff :pir-wink:

Best,
Thorsten

3 hours ago, Toastie said:

Made my day as well - and these are 9V R40's! Not the plastic stuff :pir-wink:

Best,
Thorsten

Not only that but Dark Bluish Gray ones :laugh:

Edited by dtomsen

31 minutes ago, zephyr1934 said:

"It needs another car"

I'd say two more? They maybe fit in - making a train pentagon. :pir-huzzah2:

Best,
Thorsten

Edited by Toastie

Very nice DMU! Clean, smooth and well proportioned in its 8-width!:wub_drool:

The R40 track is PERFECT for this train and an 8-shaped railroad will be its natural place to be.

...obviously joking!!!:wink:

Ciao,

Davide

Love the detailed interiors, and the cleen look.

Just one thing, can you reduce the space between the cars? with some close coupling solution, or at least by 1 stud.

5 hours ago, Sérgio said:

Love the detailed interiors, and the cleen look.

Just one thing, can you reduce the space between the cars? with some close coupling solution, or at least by 1 stud.

Thanks, Sérgio.

The space between the units are only two studs with a fixed pin sticking up between them (reduced from the 7-wide version's three) so not really if the train must be able to navigate R40 curves and switches....I could in theory use a rubber band push-pull coupling but I'm not that big a fan of that particular solution. Too cumbersome and impractical in usage especially when each unit is quite heavy already.

I do agree that the gaps look awful in R40 curves but I don't plan to use those myself :wink:

That said, just for some nerve-racking testing :grin:

Edited by dtomsen

1 hour ago, Ropefish said:

but have you done this yet?

Actually yeah, in a later testdrive where one of the switches somehow didn't work properly. Fortunately I catched the train before it fell off the edge of the table. Would've made a great video tho :laugh:

On 6/2/2022 at 5:42 PM, dtomsen said:

I can't stop thinking of what would happen if a passenger was to walk between the cars when they are going around r40

34 minutes ago, Brickblock1 said:

I can't stop thinking of what would happen if a passenger was to walk between the cars

Let's assume there is some sort of grating in between them - or some light, but secure pathway ...

Passenger close to the door: "Excuse me, where is the dining car?" Know-it-all conductor: "Through that door, two cars ahead". Passenger opening the door, thinking: Wow. How on Earth did @dtomsen make this? We're in an R40 radius?? Walking onto the grating, carefully, thinking: This is insane. But the force is with me ...

Later on in the dining car: https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/89a7cc04-7d83-4911-a3ba-d361eb89fe25

Best,
Thorsten

wasnt there a new york subway station that got closed because of the fact that the platforms where in a curve and trains got longer thus creating Dangerous gaps between the platforms and the doors.

4 hours ago, XG BC said:

wasnt there a new york subway station that got closed because of the fact that the platforms where in a curve and trains got longer thus creating Dangerous gaps between the platforms and the doors.

wandering off topic for just a sec... yes but you can still ride through it, and more detailed yes.

City Hall station (IRT Lexington Avenue Line), a beatiful station, I did read about it some years ago.

dtomsen's DSB IC3? it looks great! Where does that train usually drive? Any photos?

2 hours ago, Shiva said:

it looks great! Where does that train usually drive? Any photos?

The train is operated by DSB in Denmark and Sweden, by Renfe Operadora in Spain and by Israel Railways in Israel.
Amtrak in the USA and Via Rail in Canada have tested the train in the past.

DSB_MFA5004_1989.jpg

Edited by dtomsen

dthomsen, oops, sorry, I meant, where does it usually drive on your layout? Or where / how does it display.

10 hours ago, Shiva said:

dthomsen, oops, sorry, I meant, where does it usually drive on your layout? Or where / how does it display.

I haven't room for any stationary layout so all the fun is primarily happening at exhibitions with nice R104/R120 curves (9v inner and plastic outer).

A few of my trains are on display at home but most are packed away together with the rest of my extensive exhibition stuff.

As a new moc the IC3 will very likely be on display for quite some time though when fully tested and stickered. 

Edited by dtomsen