jp-30

[ART MOC] Roy Lichtenstein's 'Girl with Hair Ribbon'

Why not copy the copier? Using round 1x1 tiles as a nod to Lichtenstein's use of the Ben-Day Dot technique. Also made a minifig to accompany the piece, I think LEGO is missing a trick not including these in their official art sets. The original frame Lichtenstein used as the basis for his piece was from legendary comic book artist John Romita.

52067195263_e70075a671_c.jpg

52067181666_fc34d3aa62_c.jpg

52066138507_a4093fa81b_c.jpg

Flickr gallery 

Fantastic!  It's great to see what people have done with ART since the first releases.

I remember back in my school days having to copy a picture of Roy Liechtenstein's 'In The Car' - took me a few hours but I was really proud of it.  When I can finally afford it, you may have inspired me to do something similar....

Great job, it has the looks of an official set! If I had to be nitpicking, I would've taken a different approach to the minifig stand though. It looks a bit flimsy (although it does its job well I reckon) and takes away from the overall aesthetic imho.

On 5/12/2022 at 3:04 AM, jp-30 said:

Also made a minifig to accompany the piece, I think LEGO is missing a trick not including these in their official art sets

I agree ! Personally, I'm not the biggest fan of the Art line(all those logo's and gate residue that 'need' to be put in the correct position/turned away triggers my latent OCD) and the fact they do not provide a minifig adds to that.

Are you planning to do more like this? (either work from Lichtenstein or other artists or perhaps some comic frames?)

Edited by Ravelino

On 5/21/2022 at 4:50 PM, Ravelino said:

Are you planning to do more like this? (either work from Lichtenstein or other artists or perhaps some comic frames?)

Yep, I have just completed a 2nd Lichtenstein. And I have revised the method of attaching the fig to the frame (and done the same on this piece).

Edited by jp-30

On 5/21/2022 at 4:50 PM, Ravelino said:

I have other 'flat' art recreations, but not dot mosaic style: