EWay

[MOC] Irish Rail 29000 class commuter

Introducing my Irish Rail commuter MOC - a class 29000 diesel multiple unit, completed in May 2021.

It's seven studs wide and much shorter than it should be - built to get around Lego R40 curves. The real thing also has four carriages compared to two on mine.

It's in the older lime/white/dark blue commuter livery - this was updated a few years ago but they only repainted half the fleet, so you can still see these running frequently, sometimes even in a mixed-livery double-header!

51212150475_052b07afdd_c.jpg

51211296938_ab40c7e6b8_c.jpg
There's only a one-stud gap between the carriages, but surprisingly that's still plenty of room on R40 curves.

51211845144_6c29d1014a_c.jpg

51211845039_a8f56eb7db_c.jpg

I'm not a fan of custom stickers, and I like the challenge posed by brick-build patterns, so here's my attempt at the white arrow meeting the lime and dark blue sections.

Edited by EWay

Welcome to Eurobricks. This is a wonderful MOC you've built. Building for R40 does involve compromises, but you've managed to create a good recreation of the 29000 class. You've included doors and I like the use of the panels on the nose to get it to the proper 7-wide look. As a fan of brick built solutions, your work on the arrow is great. Can't wait to see what else you've built.

Welcome to Train Tech! Love the brick-built angled lines on your model... you also don't see too many Ireland-based trains in Lego, so kudos to you on building something (probably) nobody else has done before!

Keep up the great work @EWay!

Edited by Murdoch17

That is some way to make an entrance.  Stunning build with such a clever use of parts to create a very good likeness, given the R40 limits as well.

I look forward to your future builds.  Might just use this as inspiration to keep a train in my town.  I was going to sell my sets on.

Always impressed by people building in the decals/color of the train with brick. wonderful work!

Fáilte @EWay! Always great to see Irish stuff on here, and that’s a great rendition of the 29000. I have some memories of that color scheme from visits home, but you’ve captured it really well, particularly the arrow being brick built. 

I've taken this train out of Connolly to Leixlip a few times and this model looks great. I really like the doors and the arrow at the front.

I was considering building a 12v MOC of an E421 class. so you have inspired me to start it! 

Wonderful MOC - great work on the brick built pattern! I like the idea with the panel covering the gap at the front.

Welcome @EWay to Eurobricks in general and Train Tech in particular! Nice train that shows that lime green can be very appealing for a train if you use it correctly ;)

Wow, great job. I like those brick build patterns.

And the front is also quite nicely done. Very smooth with that subtle angle

Nice, I like the brick built color patterns and the offset tecnique on the front!

Thanks everyone :)

On 5/11/2022 at 7:09 PM, Murdoch17 said:

Welcome to Train Tech! Love the brick-built angled lines on your model... you also don't see too many Ireland-based trains in Lego, so kudos to you on building something (probably) nobody else has done before!

Keep up the great work @EWay!

Actually there was one done many years ago in 6 wide, with blue at the bottom before dark blue was readily available. Originally I wanted to build this in the newer green/dark green commuter livery so as not to step on any toes, but then I tried out the lime/white/dark blue in stud.io just to see how it looked, and it looks so much better I had to stick with it :)

I really like the look of the front and how you have got the windscreen. I've been trying to do similar for a diesel unit myself, but haven't come up with anything I was happy with yet, but that works really well

nice one and well done in terms of angles and such. i know irish/british trains are harder to do because of their shape.