Sign in to follow this  
Reker1000000

Lego 12v layout 5

Hello everyone,

My previous layout video got a lot of positive feedback here so I thought I'd post the newest one! Here it is. This is my largest layout yet, including 5 electric points, 3 signals, 1 decoupler, and 1 level crossing in addition to other supplemental sets and 3 train sets (7730, 7745, 7750). I'm pretty happy with how it turned out, and it even includes a night section that has the 7745 with lights in it. I hope you enjoy!

That's a very nice layout. The number of controls is impressive. This is why I still prefer 12v!

You have some long runs of cables, are they all original lego or have you found a substitute?

2 hours ago, Andy Glascott said:

Very nice!

Thank you!

34 minutes ago, ThePhatController said:

That's a very nice layout. The number of controls is impressive. This is why I still prefer 12v!

You have some long runs of cables, are they all original lego or have you found a substitute?

Thank you! Yes, I still believe 12v will always be the Golden Age of Lego trains. All cables are original Lego- if you can believe it, each accessory only has a standard 190-stud long cable which were all originally included in the sets! I have a few extra cables but didn't end up having to use them. I placed the remotes so that the ones farthest to the left activated the accessories farthest from the control panel- for example, the last remote on the panel activates the point for 7730's siding which is in the back left corner of the layout. Since the train table is 4x8, I don't often need to use the extra cables since the original cables can reach most places on the table from the control panel.

Also, for those of you that are following my channel, I ordered a used copy of 7810 from Denmark which just shipped. It was advertised as "probably complete" but from the pictures I believe it only has 1 common plate which was replaced (I can switch it back easily), and it does include all of the stickers + instructions. $70 including shipping so that was a steal! If you know about 12v, you know about the legendary black windows. 7810 has 4 of the 1x2x2 windows, about $10 each. I plan to install my copy of 7865 in this set for a third 12v steam engine. I'll be reviewing the 7810 once it arrives, and Layout 6 will surely feature it.

On 5/11/2022 at 3:36 PM, Paperinik77pk said:

Small but well playable!!! The 7730 is always a nice sight!!! :pir-love:

Nice nice nice!

Thank you! Yeah, the Grey Era steam engines are something else, especially the larger ones in the 12v sets.

On 5/11/2022 at 4:36 PM, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

I think that having the fantastic 7750 in the collection qualifies a lot ... having the 7750 as avatar is not something you see every day ...excellent!!! :pir-huzzah2:

Yes! I have a lot of appreciation for that set in particular- it has a ridiculous amount of very rare parts, is quite difficult to find in good condition + with box, and is widely regarded as one of the most expensive and prestigious sets from the Grey Era. (although the other standalone engines- 7755 and 7760- are expensive if they have the box, and 7727 is very hard to find with the box in good condition) Plus, it's uniquely the only large steam engine in the Grey Era and the design is nice. My copy of the set truly is the jewel of my collection- maybe the 7730 with box + trays + traylid and resting sticker sheet is rarer though :laugh_hard:

I did do a review on the 7750, it's on my YouTube channel if you want to check it out!

On 5/13/2022 at 10:08 AM, Man with a hat said:

Ah. Always nice to see those 12V layouts. Childhood dreams...

Indeed! Although the trains I first had when I was young(er) were the 7938 and 3677... it's like I went back in time :iamded_lol:

Also, I made a video with some extra clips of the layout, and a "behind the scenes" video- I'll link them here for any who are interested.

Edited by Reker1000000