Sign in to follow this  
JayCal

60051, 60197 & 60337 nose jobs

I already had posted my "nose job" mod of the new 60337 in the 2022 topic, but thought you might be interested in my reworked 60197 too. After the release of 60337 I thought that design would look fine on the 60051 which you can all see below. The models integrate seamless with their original power sources and cars. Reverse engineering the builds shan't be too difficult from this LDView shot and it is not all that parts intensive to have a go yourself.

t0x8pxb.jpg

Cheers!

Jay 

Very nice ideas! I think LEGO should have better considered the color/design combination and you give some very interesting suggestions. Their current scheme could work but with a different design like yours on the right. Luckily are we AFOLs  often not that limited in modding, so already some great suggestions to make a much nicer version.

On 5/8/2022 at 12:45 PM, JopieK said:

Very nice ideas! I think LEGO should have better considered the color/design combination and you give some very interesting suggestions. Their current scheme could work but with a different design like yours on the right. Luckily are we AFOLs  often not that limited in modding, so already some great suggestions to make a much nicer version.

On 5/8/2022 at 5:11 PM, dr_spock said:

Nice job on the plastic surgery.  :pir-classic:

12 hours ago, LEGOTrainBuilderSG said:

Infinitely better than all the previous versions! Good job mate. 

3 hours ago, zephyr1934 said:

Excellent work! Thanks for sharing

Thanks guys!

3 hours ago, XG BC said:

the green looks sooo much better than the lego version

I add to the chorus on this: this MOD is 100% better than LEGO version. I understand what TLG were attempting to do, but there are better ways to do it, as the first post has demonstrated.

Keep up the good work, @JayCal!

Edited by Murdoch17

Your brick built fronts for these three passenger locomotives are great. They all closely resemble the real trains, but still retain the LEGO feel.

On 5/8/2022 at 6:27 AM, JayCal said:

t0x8pxb.jpg

Looking again at 60197, I would say the MOD would benefit with a 6x28 baseplate instead of the 6x24. Increasing the front slope shortens it a little too much in my opinion.

Thanks everyone! My goal was indeed to keep the lego feel without making a specific copy of existing real life models.

12 hours ago, zephyr1934 said:

Looking again at 60197, I would say the MOD would benefit with a 6x28 baseplate instead of the 6x24. Increasing the front slope shortens it a little too much in my opinion.

You are absolutely correct. My goal was to modify the existing sets without too much cost (and just get rid of the single use big nose pieces). If you should add a longer base, slightly modified windows and jacobs bogie... you'll get a reasonably cheap eurostar/tgv/horizon express. Here's an example:

k6kNl5Z.png

Edited by JayCal

Extending 60197 to the 28-stud long baseplate really makes this power car the proper dimensions.

9 hours ago, JayCal said:

You are absolutely correct. My goal was to modify the existing sets without too much cost (and just get rid of the single use big nose pieces). If you should add a longer base, slightly modified windows and jacobs bogie... you'll get a reasonably cheap eurostar/tgv/horizon express. Here's an example:

k6kNl5Z.png

Now that looks sharp!

Thanks! Maybe I should have a go at one in the flesh

Final one to clutter this forum: full on mod of the roofs, added doors and many other smallmods. Now it's not really a simple mod of the set anymore but fun nonetheless. 
GIB5f8p.png

23 hours ago, JayCal said:

Thanks! Maybe I should have a go at one in the flesh

Final one to clutter this forum: full on mod of the roofs, added doors and many other smallmods. Now it's not really a simple mod of the set anymore but fun nonetheless. 
GIB5f8p.png

Excellent work! Whether you build it yourself or not, I would encourage you to share the design for this, and for the 60337 (free or for sale). We need more MOD's like this for folks new to the hobby wanting something a little bit more than the City trains but who are not quite to the point of doing their own MOD's or MOC's.

1 hour ago, zephyr1934 said:

Excellent work! Whether you build it yourself or not, I would encourage you to share the design for this, and for the 60337 (free or for sale). We need more MOD's like this for folks new to the hobby wanting something a little bit more than the City trains but who are not quite to the point of doing their own MOD's or MOC's.

Thanks for the great feedback! It was indeed a test for me to see how you can cheaply mod an existing set for novice builders. I can offer the files (LDraw) for free to anyone who is interested. Just contact me through DM. I don't feel the need to embark on the laborous task of creating instructions... maybe there are people here who love making them? If so, send me a DM. 

Cheers