Sign in to follow this  
Capn Frank

The Turtle Sub

thindexedgif.gif Boats 1c

I was real happy the way my turtle sub turned out and will probably keep it built for a long time. :pir-wub:

I'd like keep it next to the Constitution when it's complete.

Here's a quick review of my Turtle Sub:

turtle1.png

turtle2.png

turtle3.png

It's only a couple studs longer and taller than a scaled version,

but i couldn't make it any smaller without losing features...

Like putting a person inside and having a working hatch.

During the Revolutionary War of the US, Turtle Subs were made to attempt to get rid of the English ships blockading American ports.

They were never successful in even damaging another ship though. :pir-laugh:

The english had copper sheathing on the hulls of all their ships, so the turtle subs' drills couldn't penetrate. :pir-wink:

But they were successful submarines.

Here are some pics of renditions of the Turtle Subs:

th_turtle4.jpg th_turtle5.jpg th_turtleConnRiverMuseum.jpg

Here's a quote of the closest the Turtle Sub ever came to damaging a ship:

HMS Eagle at the Port of New York

After diligent pedaling, Lee brought Turtle on the side of Eagle. After taking some ballast, he submerged completely. When he thought he was under his target, he pumped out a small quantity of water from the ballast tank, until a jarring bump indicated he was beneath Eagle. For the next few minutes, Lee vainly tried to attach a torpedo to her hull. When the air in his little cabin was almost used up, Lee had no choice but to abandon his attempt and surface. After replenishing the air in the cabin and resting, he again descended underneath Eagle to try to affix a torpedo on her hull. He failed. A metal plate covered the area where he was trying to drill. Having consumed his air, he was forced to abandon his goal and surface.

Very inventive concept!

God Bless,

Nathan

I always wanted to build this.

On a side note (I did my home work on this): the British were so scared by the concept of being atcked from below water levels, that they briefly left the harbor that the Turtle had first been fielded.

When I saw "Turtle Sub" I was expecting to see a salad roll :pir-grin:

This is quite an interesting concept for the Pirate Theme but I'm sure I've mentioned my disdain for Steampunk and it's sub genres.

Has anyone seen the Mysterious Cities of Gold? There was an episode where they made a wooden submarine creation and decorated it as a monster to scare off a tribe of giants. Something like that might be a really interesting concept for the Islander of equivalent of this.

This is quite an interesting concept for the Pirate Theme but I'm sure I've mentioned my disdain for Steampunk and it's sub genres.

But it's not Steam Punk...or either of its sub genres....it's HISTORY :pir-sing:

Oh, by the way, nice creation there phred!!

Yes, you're absolutely right ImperialScouts. Now that my hangover has worn off I have cold and the medication must be doing strange things with my mind. Not that I need Cold & Flu medication for that anyway...

This diagram is quite useful in demonstrating how one would actually achieve such a contraption:

turtle4.jpg

On a side note (I did my home work on this): the British were so scared by the concept of being atcked from below water levels, that they briefly left the harbor that the Turtle had first been fielded.

Exactly, that's what the Website said also where i got the quote. :thumbup:

But it's not Steam Punk...or either of its sub genres....it's HISTORY :pir-sing:

Oh, by the way, nice creation there phred!!

Thanx IS. :pir-classic:

This diagram is quite useful in demonstrating how one would actually achieve such a contraption:

-snip-

There are ppl that have remade the turtle sub using 1776 technology.

th_93158c20.jpgth_91158c20.jpg

(clicky to website)

They used ballast pumps similar to Fire Carriage pumps of the same era.

I remember studying this kind of underwater vehicle on my mechanic lessons, I have to say it's very very well done, everything is where it's supposed to ! amazing job Phred :thumbup:

A very lovely creation, very innovative yet very simple too. The simplicity still amazes me, even though this was built ages ago.

I was wondering whether those clam shell side pieces you used (the ones from the star wars Slave I set), do they also come in other colours? I've tried looking them up but I have absolutely no idea what those pieces are called.

My apologies if this is something I could have easily looked up somewhere myself, I tried but didn't come up with anything. (not that it 's my intention to bring back old threads or anything)

Edited by Hairy Ruben

That's a great Turtle, Phred :wub: Do you have an LDD file, or parts list, or construction photos of it? I'd love to build myself one.

Peter

Hmm just 11 replies...

The mini sub is really good though, probably best i have seen so far. I quite like that there is an interior :pir-classic:

It's always nice to see some MOCs that are different from what we are used to see here on the forums.

-Perfectionist

Thank you for the comments! :pirate:

I was wondering whether those clam shell side pieces you used (the ones from the star wars Slave I set), do they also come in other colours? I've tried looking them up but I have absolutely no idea what those pieces are called.

Hey Hairy,

Sorry for the very late reply.

Yes, those are the very same pieces used in the Slave I ship. The "clam shell" pieces are part # 41749 & 41750.

That's a great Turtle, Phred :wub: Do you have an LDD file, or parts list, or construction photos of it? I'd love to build myself one.

Peter

I'll see if I can get a parts list together.

The sub is still built and is sitting at my office cubical right now. :pir-sweet:

Now that dark tan and pearl gold pieces exist, it would be nice to use more accurately colored bricks. :thumbup: