Hello everyone,

I´m happy to present you some first pictures of the excavator, which I am building for the current contest. The topic of the contest is really nice and the scale is quite challenging, but that means always a lot of fun :). I am going to built an generic excavator, the one I am building is inspired by some excavators from Liebherr, Volvo and some other brands.

These are the features I want to include:

• pneumatic controlled arm
  • adjustable track wide

The dimensions will be just below 10.000 studs.

This is the currents buliding state:

640x480.jpg

640x480.jpg

640x480.jpg

640x853.jpg

640x480.jpg

The wide of the tracks, is adjustable. In it´s smallest setting the structure is 15 studs wide, in the largest setting the structure is 18 studs wide. The mechanism works very well, but a little bit slow.

Now I am working on the pneumatic arm and on the superstructure.

Comments, suggestions and questions are always appreciated.

The adjustable width is very interesting! What would that be used for in real life?

26 minutes ago, 2GodBDGlory said:

The adjustable width is very interesting! What would that be used for in real life?

The wider tracks improve the stability of the excavator. I saw it on the Liebherr R940, this excavator can be used for demolition or digging. I thought it would be a cool function, so I included it.

Here is a picture of the Excavator:

640x179.png

(https://www.liebherr.com/external/products/products-assets/6aefb657-9ec3-43e7-a1c2-2bdf35fb52a4/R940-Abbruch-StageV-DE-AI-2021-09.pdf)

There is also many mini excavators have adjustable track width to make it easier to transport them.

Nice start. Interesting to see what direction you take this in.

_ED_

That's very interesting.  I know some excavators are available in different track widths but I didn't realize any were actually dynamically adjustable.  Definitely a fairly unique function to include.

The adjustable track width is a feature especially of demolition excavators, so my suggestion is to include also a tilting cab.

Very good choice and a good start!

47 minutes ago, mpj said:

The adjustable track width is a feature especially of demolition excavators, so my suggestion is to include also a tilting cab.

Very good choice and a good start!

Thanks a lot, it is definitely a good idea to build a tilting cabin too, I think this shouldn't be a problem. 

Ooo! That’s an interesting way of widening the tracks :thumbup: 

Hope to see a video of it at the end?

how much weight can the structure take on top before ‘too much’ bending starts?

3 hours ago, MangaNOID said:

Ooo! That’s an interesting way of widening the tracks :thumbup: 

Hope to see a video of it at the end?

how much weight can the structure take on top before ‘too much’ bending starts?

Thanks a lot :). I plan to create a video, when I finished the excavator. The limited space forced me to built this mechanism, which is quite special, but the best I came up with. Actually it can handle more weight, than I thought, so it will be enough for the superstructure. I hope that I find some free time at the weekend for building, so I can show you some new pictures. 

Hello,

it´s time for another update. I have finished the main part of the bodywork and the arm, but i still need to fill some gaps and finish the pneumatic tubing. When the arm is folded in its smallest setting, the dimensions are 37x15x18=9990 studs.

800x600.jpeg

This is the cabin for my excavator, but it still needs a seat.

800x600.jpeg

800x600.jpeg

Now I need to order some parts and add the pneumatic tubes.

Comments, suggestions and questions are always appreciated.

Looks really good!

Where do you actuate the change of the track width?

On the bucket you could also use the newer liftarm, but there is no stability issue here :D

71708.png

1 hour ago, Jundis said:

Looks really good!

Where do you actuate the change of the track width?

On the bucket you could also use the newer liftarm, but there is no stability issue here :D

Thanks a lot, actually I forgot to send some pictures with the wider tracks. Here are some:

800x600.jpeg

Here you can see the pneumatic valves integrated into the superstructure.

800x600.jpeg

800x600.jpeg

The idea to use this part (#717089) is great I will buy two of these, Thanks :).

Edited by Lukes_Brick_Studio

Hello,

it´s time for another update. I have just finished my excavator and have checked the size which is 17 x 15 x 38 = 9690 cubic studs.

800x600.jpg

@Jim There is one pneumatic hose which sticks out of the frame, is this a problem ?

More pictures and information will follow.

Nice one, totally missed that model so far. :thumbup:

About the hose: Can you maybe make room inside the secondary arm, so you could place the pneumatic cylinder upside down?

1 hour ago, Lukes_Brick_Studio said:

it´s time for another update.

Nice excavator, well done. My opinion is that it is important to respect the volume limitation because it is the key-limitation of this contest. Maybe another option is to rotate the cililnder by 90 degrees

32 minutes ago, johnnym said:

Nice one, totally missed that model so far. :thumbup:

About the hose: Can you maybe make room inside the secondary arm, so you could place the pneumatic cylinder upside down?

Thanks, a lot. The idea is great, I will give it a try, but i hope that this the pneumatic hose isn´t problematic, this would make things much easier. The reason for that is that, there isn´t much time left...

Now the excavator has five functions, four of them are controlled by pneumatics.

• Operate the shovel
  • Tilting Cabin
  • Operate the main boom
  • Operate the second boom
  • adjustable track width

Of course, the excavator is as detailed as possible, featuring a seat and two joysticks inside the cabin.

Here are some more pictures.

800x533.JPG

800x533.JPG

800x533.JPG

800x533.JPG

800x533.JPG

Here you can see the cabin.

800x533.JPG

800x533.JPG

800x533.JPG

Here you can see, some pictures with the wider tracks.

800x533.JPG

800x533.JPG

The pneumatic valves, are inside of the machinery room.

800x533.JPG

800x533.JPG

The dimensions are 38 x 17 x 15 cubic studs.

800x533.JPG

I hope you like it, comments and suggestions are always appreciated. 

17 minutes ago, GerritvdG said:

Nice excavator, well done. My opinion is that it is important to respect the volume limitation because it is the key-limitation of this contest. Maybe another option is to rotate the cililnder by 90 degrees

Thanks, I am happy that you like it. Yes you are right, it´s important to respect the rules, but I am not completely sure about the pneumatic hoses, if the count like something brick built or not. If this should be problematic, than I will look up for a solution, maybe I will cut the hose, so it does not stick out anymore, but I will wait for that until a answer form Jim.

I don't think the hose itself is an issue, because it can theoretically be fit into the box; but I think if the plastic nozzle on the top of that cylinder is protruding, it is probably not ok, because it cannot be manipulated to fit.

In this case I would even accept that nozzle, maybe.

What if You rise that boom (first section), then everything would shorter. Maybe You can fit it in 15x30x22?

So that boom has more 90' angles.

Thanks a lot for all comments :). After many attempts to squeeze the excavator into a box with just under 10.000 cubic studs, I decided to remove a part from the rear bumper. Fortunately I found a box in which the excavator fits. The dimensions are 37 x 15 x 18 = 9990 studs.

Here is a photo:

800x533.JPG

800x533.JPG

800x533.JPG

3 minutes ago, Lukes_Brick_Studio said:

Fortunately I found a box in which the excavator fits. The dimensions are 37 x 15 x 18 = 9990 studs.

Well done, happy you found a solution!

8 minutes ago, GerritvdG said:

Well done, happy you found a solution!

Thanks, a lot :) I am very happy too, it would have been very bad if I didn´t find a good solution, because the contest ends today.

This is a very nice build, somehow I missed it until now. I love the track width adjustment, as well as the pneumatic boom which is something we haven't seen in official models like this for a while. Now I want to build my own pneumatic excavator...

1 hour ago, howitzer said:

This is a very nice build, somehow I missed it until now. I love the track width adjustment, as well as the pneumatic boom which is something we haven't seen in official models like this for a while. Now I want to build my own pneumatic excavator...

Thanks, for the compliment. I always like it, when I can encourage someone to built a Lego Technic model.