Oh my. I thought it was the engine and the carriages that are simply beyond belief.

Well: Wrong! So wrong! It is the engine and the carriages "living" in these wonderful colors and then (as if she were absolutely self-confident - pulling these endless wagons) steadily pulling the looong train through that beautiful environment - and at the same time the entire train appears light and happy and as if smiling at the surroundings - the river, the rock, the trees, the bridges - caring zero about the outside LEGO worlders running around.

You know, this train is so different from the German steam trains - mostly black/red engines, some white stripes - (dark) green carriages (OK, I know, some engines were blue, some green, some carriages were silver, others brown and I bet some were even differently colored - in another shade of gray). But orange, yellow, red? Daylight ... this is beautiful. The beautiful setting and the train as the star. Or the other way around: The fantastic scenery as the star and a beautiful, a colorful train coming through. Just breathtakingly beautiful.

This is much, much more than I could envision. Thank you very much for sharing these pictures.

All the best and have fun,
Thorsten     

Edited by Toastie

it pains me to not be able to go to these events! just to see everyone's models running around on display...

Got to meet Benn and see his creations at Brickworld today - terrific. I coaxed him into running the steam elephant, love all the motion on that model.

It was great to see these trains and the many others running on some truly fantastic layouts.

Dave

3 hours ago, Ropefish said:

it pains me to not be able to go to these events! just to see everyone's models running around on display...

I feel your pain. Same here!

Looks great zephyr! Always good to watch something like this strut its stuff. Wish I could be there in person to see that and the other amazing stuff I can see in the background.

While the Daylight is mine, the Colorado River section is by Matt Welch. Here's a video of it. I think I did the easy part. Pretty much every train head at Brickworld was falling all over themselves to get time on the river.

I'll post more soon.

Both the Daylight and Colorado River are works of art by themselves. Put them together and you have a masterpiece. Kudos to everybody involved in making that opportunity happen.

I was lucky enough to come to the show on Sunday and see the layout and the Daylight in person. Both are much more impressive when you see them with your own two eyes. Very cool stuff!

On a slightly unrelated note, I was pleasantly surprised with the number of trains at this year's BW. There seemed to be many more than in any previous years, as far as I remember.

Thanks everyone for all the kind words. Meanwhile, I think I made my last photo dump of the SJD from Brickworld, including several shots of the train going the other way on the river,

52165305138_c88212d23d_c.jpg

and a shot off it running on the CincyLUG layout with their massive radii 9v curves (the inside track is something like R168)

52165305043_15f95a0af5_c.jpg

On 6/21/2022 at 12:38 AM, Legownz said:

I was lucky enough to come to the show on Sunday and see the layout and the Daylight in person. Both are much more impressive when you see them with your own two eyes. Very cool stuff! 

On a slightly unrelated note, I was pleasantly surprised with the number of trains at this year's BW. There seemed to be many more than in any previous years, as far as I remember.

Sorry I missed you, we went to Illinois Railway Museum during the public hours on Sun to catch a bit of real steam. As for BW, I think the amount of trains was similar to 2019, but they did a much better job grouping all of the trains together instead of spreading the layouts all over the hall.

Many more show pictures in the album...

[full album on flickr] 

Might be a little late, but I found this gem yesterday in a used book store and picked it up. It's from the 1960's, but only a few pages in and I can tell it's a gem for Daylight (GS class mainly) info. Lots of great B&W photos from the Espee.

52167389726_23ab1b3a13_c.jpg

23 hours ago, Feuer Zug said:

Might be a little late, but I found this gem yesterday in a used book store and picked it up. It's from the 1960's, but only a few pages in and I can tell it's a gem for Daylight (GS class mainly) info. Lots of great B&W photos from the Espee.

Oh wow, that looks amazing. Though from the cover mentioning GS 4-8-4's, I wonder if it will make any mention of the WWII era in-house modifications to the P 4-6-2's

I’ve been watching BW Chicago vlogs a lot the past week and your consist has really stood out in many of these.  Bricksie (big Lego YouTuber) thought your train was beautiful if you’re interested - though I corrected somebody in the comments section who said it was SP 4449 rather than a P-10…

13 hours ago, Vilhelm22 said:

I’ve been watching BW Chicago vlogs a lot the past week and your consist has really stood out in many of these.  Bricksie (big Lego YouTuber) thought your train was beautiful if you’re interested - though I corrected somebody in the comments section who said it was SP 4449 rather than a P-10…

That is excellent to hear, thanks for sharing. And sitting there static you couldn't see some of the finer details of the locomotive, e.g., the pilot truck swinging out for tight curves and all the detail in the cab.

It was all such a blur.