Legochaek

Minifigures with Disabilities: Discussion and Rumours

17 hours ago, DBlegonerd7 said:

You can use a sunglasses-warning minifigure head because it represents

Can be done MUCH easier by giving the minifigure the wellknown wit stick with red rings...
Recognised by everyone

54 minutes ago, JaBaCaDaBra said:

Can be done MUCH easier by giving the minifigure the wellknown wit stick with red rings...
Recognised by everyone

Not sure what you mean. I mean what red wings? Rings, plural? What, a candy cane? 

Edited by DBlegonerd7

48 minutes ago, JaBaCaDaBra said:

Recognised by everyone

Are you… are you getting blind people mixed up with barbers? Or candy canes? 

I

4 minutes ago, Lego-fire said:

This. 

Edited by DBlegonerd7

Canes are used to indicate the impairment of the user: 

An all-white cane means that the user is completely blind and has no usable vision. A white cane with a red bottom means that the user has low, but some usable vision. A white and red striped cane means that the user is totally blind and/or deaf

I work with a gentleman with a white cane with a red bottom, he can see enough to navigate, but we ensure he has clear pathways from his workspace to other locations (canteen etc) and we have an evacuation plan to help him in the event of a fire or other event. (It also means I need to inspect the Fire Extinguisher stations on his path are not moved or altered, as they are a special type of  station to prevent him stumbling on them. Fire Marshal duties!). My workplace is very integrated.

Another feature LEGO should introduce is a crutch style that has the armband, not just the bigger "armpit" kind. My sister uses one, she would love to have it included to normalise them for people. 

12 hours ago, Lego-fire said:

Yes blind people alway search their way with candy ticking on the ground

unfollowed

11 hours ago, Peppermint_M said:

Another feature LEGO should introduce is a crutch style that has the armband, not just the bigger "armpit" kind. 

Now that's a piece I'd like to have in my collection. I have kinda been a foamer for collecting minifig accessories lately, just in case I decide to make a specific character. A crutch with an armband sounds just perfect for my minifig accessory collection.

5 hours ago, Lego-fire said:

What? Unfollowed what? I was just joking before

Nah, don’t worry about it. He is kinda odd saying that but we have to shrug it off. 

Back to the topic! I agree with Peppermint_M on  crutch! 

5 hours ago, Lego-fire said:

What? Unfollowed what? I was just joking before

Don't worry! You know how we clown on this forum. Some of us say "unfollowed" as a playful joke towards you not really understanding something or asking a silly question. :wink:

1 hour ago, Peppermint_M said:

One thing we might get is a Quad-cane if we ever have Up themed sets/figures.

Would be a good excuse to introduce one with a Disney CMF series 

2 hours ago, Peppermint_M said:

One thing we might get is a Quad-cane if we ever have Up themed sets/figures.

At first, I thought that was weird as i imagined a guiding stick with 4 legs but as I finsihed reading the rest of your commet, I want a quad-cane! 

I would love to see it to come in Lego world one day!

The four footed design would allow it to clutch a stud, it would be great to add to the accessories available. 

Great to see the representation continuing to grow - not only does the new Friends’ line up include a visibly disabled person (Autumn), but also a disabled dog with rear ‘wheels’ 😍

Ok! So no bad intentions here but.....I wonder if Lego could do a head to represent a female with hirsutism. Like if they were to make a female's head, but add like a light mustache or a beard. Though....it probably doesn't count as a disability. It's more of a physical situation. I mean I figured that since they had torsos to represent muscular men and hair pieces to resemble bald headed men (though that can really be achieved by just not giving them a hair/head piece, I figure it would be good. But feel free to disagree. 

Edited by The Brick Boss

We have people with vitiligo

A blind woman in the Friend's main street (the cane should be better red and white as @JaBaCaDaBra said (in most countries the red and white cane is an standard for blind people)

We have a head with audio aid dispositive (in the creator's main street and now in halloween BAM blisters)

We have Autumn

We have the boy with the adapted ski in the new friend's winter sets

And there are legs with protesic foot that Lego could reuse for a city character

1 hour ago, El Garfio said:

A blind woman in the Friend's main street (the cane should be better red and white as @JaBaCaDaBra said (in most countries the red and white cane is an standard for blind people)

We have a head with audio aid dispositive (in the creator's main street and now in halloween BAM blisters)

We have Autumn

No, not just red and white. It needs to have a ball for a tip of that cane as well! And a black handle. I mean, it should be more accurate and realistic. I ‘m a visually impaired man with a guiding cane and a service dog here.

There is a bassist in Jazz Club that has hering aid on.

You mean autism, not Autumn?  - Autumn is a character’s name from Freinds. 

And there are legs with protesic foot that Lego could reuse for a city character

We have gotten at least two City Minifigs with prosthetic legs (grocery store and skate park), and quite a few Minifigs with hearing aid prints. 
Brickset has a list of sets with disabilities representation here, though some liberties with the definition are taken (such as including pirates). 

On 10/8/2022 at 2:18 PM, Peppermint_M said:

Canes are used to indicate the impairment of the user: 

I work with a gentleman with a white cane with a red bottom, he can see enough to navigate, but we ensure he has clear pathways from his workspace to other locations (canteen etc) and we have an evacuation plan to help him in the event of a fire or other event. (It also means I need to inspect the Fire Extinguisher stations on his path are not moved or altered, as they are a special type of  station to prevent him stumbling on them. Fire Marshal duties!). My workplace is very integrated.

Another feature LEGO should introduce is a crutch style that has the armband, not just the bigger "armpit" kind. My sister uses one, she would love to have it included to normalise them for people. 

We need this!

And a walker for the elderly.

Not quite a disability, but I would like to see a home CPAP/ BIPAP machine.

6 hours ago, Lion King said:

No, not just red and white. It needs to have a ball for a tip of that cane as well! And a black handle. I mean, it should be more accurate and realistic. I ‘m a visually impaired man with a guiding cane and a service dog here.

There is a bassist in Jazz Club that has hering aid on.

You mean autism, not Autumn?  - Autumn is a character’s name from Freinds. 

Yes Autumn the Friends character has a disability and it's a main character.

That means that is regularly included in sets (no that the other characters with disabilities that only take part of a particular set) 

Maybe, we will have also mech.max as a regular character in city sets 

Edited by El Garfio

4 hours ago, hikouki said:

We need this!

And a walker for the elderly.

Not quite a disability, but I would like to see a home CPAP/ BIPAP machine.

I would definately go for that walker piece. But as for the cane, I thought they already had one of those because of the elderly woman in this video. 

Edited by The Brick Boss

3 hours ago, The Brick Boss said:

I would definately go for that walker piece. But as for the cane, I thought they already had one of those because of the elderly woman in this video. 

We have a candy cane piece from Series 23 and that piece is perfect to be recolored for an elderly 

7 hours ago, El Garfio said:

Yes Autumn the Friends character has a disability and it's a main character.

That means that is regularly included in sets (no that the other characters with disabilities that only take part of a particular set) 

Maybe, we will have also mech.max as a regular character in city sets 

Sorry, i don’t think we ae on a same page. I asked you if you meant to type “autism” not “Autumn”

26 minutes ago, Lion King said:

We have a candy cane piece from Series 23 and that piece is perfect to be recolored for an elderly 

Sorry, i don’t think we ae on a same page. I asked you if you meant to type “autism” not “Autumn”

No, I was making a list of disabled minfigures and I mentioned Autumn from friends 

It's not a minifigure but a minidoll, but I also listed vitiligo having in mind the girl of the Friends grocery store 

No, I was making a list of disabled minfigures and I mentioned Autumn from friends 

Ok making sure I understand you.